2016-2017 F150 4x4 EcoBoost - Real world experiences??

D

Deleted member 9101

So I'm not too worried about the turbos on my 3.5 Ecoboost.

They have a very, very low failure rate. When one does go out, they are 450.00 and take an few hours to swap.

Also, they are water and oil cooled... They even circulate water after the motor shuts down.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Towing our off road camper for just over 300 miles with our 2018 f150 crew cab.
3.5 EB.
The trek involves a trip up Yanke Boy Basin with rear locked and in 4 low.
Then hopping north of Silverton CO for the recent avalanche view.
All that yielded just over 18mpg combined.
Very respectable I think.
At the end of the trip.

Last edited:

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

3.5 EB.
The trek involves a trip up Yanke Boy Basin with rear locked and in 4 low.
Then hopping north of Silverton CO for the recent avalanche view.
All that yielded just over 18mpg combined.
Very respectable I think.
At the end of the trip.
View attachment 526492

We were just down there from 7/3-7/7 except in our jeep with the camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ballbearing

Observer
3.5 EB.

Did you, or have you posted, all of your truck specs? The 3.5 is on my short list considering the capability and great MPGs people are posting. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Did you, or have you posted, all of your truck specs? The 3.5 is on my short list considering the capability and great MPGs people are posting. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have not posted a complete spec set. I just was proud of what the 3.5 achieved. We have had the 3.5 in a Navigator before, and now in this 2018 F-150, and it is an amazing capable engine.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So dumb question but does Ford still sell the F-150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost? I'm looking at lightly-used models and most seem to have the 2.7.:unsure:

So who has real-world experience towing a small travel trailer with the 2.7?

kahos

So dumb question but does Ford still sell the F-150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost? I'm looking at lightly-used models and most seem to have the 2.7.:unsure:

Yes, and there are two "flavors" of the 3.5. The common 3.5 and the high output (as in the raptor and limited)

Keep in mind most 2.7 trucks have a lower GVWR ,payload and towing numbers than a comparable 3.5 or 5.0.
2.7s are not available on all configuration and from what I've read have a thinner frame (of the 3 available on f-150) EG You can have a SuperCrew Shortbox 2.7 4x4 but not a Supercrew with the 6.5ft box and 4x4. Most will have the smaller rear axles too.

My 2.7/10 speed SCREW had a max towing number around the #8000lb mark. The "largest" trailer I towed was a 7x14 cargo V-nose with a light load. Power was abundant, but mileage suffered. I'd get around 10.7mpg running at 70mph. Empty, at the same speed I'd average 19mpg. Dropping that speed to 60 I could get 22mpg.

I've always felt that they sandbagged the 2.7's numbers to "upsell" people on the 5.0s. or 3.5s. They've made it their max MPG combo but didn't want to upset the traditionalist by having it compete too hard with the 5.0. The 2.7TT felt like a very strong motor; more so when driven back to back with the 5.0. I bet most people wouldn't be able to feel any difference in power between the 2.7s and 3.5s when running around empty or pulling light loads.

It's one of my favourite powertrains in the 1/2 tons based on it's blend of performance and fuel mileage. You just have to make sure that it meets your towing and payload needs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

I looove my 2.7. Unless you need the higher tow rating of the 3.5, the 2.7 will be just fine.

I once towed my brothers travel trailer (~9,000lbs) from outside of Mobile AL to Orlando Fl and I had zero problems with hills, merging, or passing power.

The 2.7 has the same TQ as the 5.0, but it hits at a much lower RPM.

D

Deleted member 9101

I've always felt that they sandbagged the 2.7's numbers to "upsell" people on the 5.0s. or 3.5s. They've made it their max MPG combo but didn't want to upset the traditionalist by having it compete too hard with the 5.0. The 2.7TT felt like a very strong motor; more so when driven back to back with the 5.0. I bet most people wouldn't be able to feel any difference in power between the 2.7s and 3.5s.

I agree 200%!! I have had the 3.5 in a work truck and currently have the 2.7 in my personal truck. The 2.7 offers the same performance as the 3.5, on less fuel, with out the dreaded timing chain rattle. The only time the 3.5 is worth the extra money is when you need the higher tow rating or you need every cubic inch to build power with aftermarket turbos.

As for sandbagging.... Oh hell yes... The ECM literally pulls power and limits its performance. With nothing more than a simple tune you can run 13s in a 4 door, 4x4, F150, 2.7. Mine has a tune, down pipe, and intercooler and it will flat out embarrass most cars/trucks when the light turns green and I am nowhere near the limits of the motor. You'll exceed the limits of the OEM high pressure fuel pump and stock turbos long before you hurt the motor.

What a loooot of people fail to realize is that the 2.7 is a extremely tough engine. Ford designed it specifically for the F150 and overbuilt every single aspect of it. The 3.5s architecture was based on the N/A 3.5 and the 2.7 was an all new design.

There is a video comparing the 3.5, 2.7, and 5.0 whilst pulling a camper. The 2.7 had the same times as the 3.5 and both destroyed the 5.0. When they upload a tune to each truck the 3.5 was a beast, the 2.7 broke a u-joint (bad launch and wheel hop), and the 5.0 was yet again a dog.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Alright, so I know I'm coming late to this conversation but looking online I see a bewildering array of engine combos on the F-150. It's like their, what, two dozen trim levels? :rolleyes:

(XL, XLT, Lariat, FX-4, STX, Sport, Eddie Bauer, Eddie Money, Eddie Haskell, King Ranch, Hidden Valley Ranch with Bacon, Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man, etc etc.) It's tough to make heads or tails of what's out there.

But my real question is the engines. I see 2.7 and 3.5 but I also see 3.3. And from the HP figures (under 300) I'm assuming that some of these are NA while the ones that are over 300 are most likely turbo.

So is the NA 3.3 the new "base" engine? I'm assuming they don't make a non-turbo version of the 2.7, right?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Alright, so I know I'm coming late to this conversation but looking online I see a bewildering array of engine combos on the F-150. It's like their, what, two dozen trim levels? :rolleyes:

(XL, XLT, Lariat, FX-4, STX, Sport, Eddie Bauer, Eddie Money, Eddie Haskell, King Ranch, Hidden Valley Ranch with Bacon, Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man, etc etc.) It's tough to make heads or tails of what's out there.

But my real question is the engines. I see 2.7 and 3.5 but I also see 3.3. And from the HP figures (under 300) I'm assuming that some of these are NA while the ones that are over 300 are most likely turbo.

So is the NA 3.3 the new "base" engine? I'm assuming they don't make a non-turbo version of the 2.7, right?
Yes, 3.3 is the base NA V6. The 3.3L V6 and 5.0L V8 are the two NA engines offered. The 3.0L V6 Diesel, 2.7L V6 and 3.5L V6 are all turbocharged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles