2016-2017 F150 4x4 EcoBoost - Real world experiences??

D

Deleted member 9101

Alright, so I know I'm coming late to this conversation but looking online I see a bewildering array of engine combos on the F-150. It's like their, what, two dozen trim levels? :rolleyes:

(XL, XLT, Lariat, FX-4, STX, Sport, Eddie Bauer, Eddie Money, Eddie Haskell, King Ranch, Hidden Valley Ranch with Bacon, Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man, etc etc.) It's tough to make heads or tails of what's out there.

But my real question is the engines. I see 2.7 and 3.5 but I also see 3.3. And from the HP figures (under 300) I'm assuming that some of these are NA while the ones that are over 300 are most likely turbo.

So is the NA 3.3 the new "base" engine? I'm assuming they don't make a non-turbo version of the 2.7, right?

If you want the most "bang for your buck" get an STX with the 2.7. It gets you most of the options on the XLT for thousands less.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
They have a very, very low failure rate. When one does go out, they are 450.00 and take an few hours to swap.

Also, they are water and oil cooled... They even circulate water after the motor shuts down.
$450 for a turbo is unbelievably cheap. That's a bargain.
Can the stop/start nonsense be disabled by the owner or does it require pressing an icon on the dash each time you start it up?
We had a new Jeep Grand Cherokee rental with stop/start and hated it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

$450 for a turbo is unbelievably cheap. That's a bargain.
Can the stop/start nonsense be disabled by the owner or does it require pressing an icon on the dash each time you start it up?
We had a new Jeep Grand Cherokee rental with stop/start and hated it.

There is a button on the dash you press everytime you drive the truck. You can also deactivate it with forscan or there is a wiring hack that you can do. If you plug in a trailer it deactivates it as well.

It doesn't bother me, it helps me get 20-21mpg in traffic. Aa soon as you start to release the brake peddle or if you hit the gas it will instantly start.

Just did my 60k maintenance on my 2015 2.7tt. Not an issue to be found. Hand calced my mpg. Did 20.9 mpg mostly highway with 1/4 of my daily commute being stop and go with lots of traffic lights. 2.7tt has my full confidence. My only regret with my truck is that I did not get a crew cab now that the wife and I are looking at starting a family. The only thing that annoys me with the F150 platform is I'm having trouble finding a winch ready front bumper with full guard that I like.

If I got a new F-150 crew cab I probably even go Berserker and get the Platinum. The seats on the Platinum seem to be better leather and are so comfortable. My wife already calls my Lariat the land yacht.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Not to hijack the thread, but as far as carrying a self contained pop up camper in the bed, what specific build would you all recommend for that use?

What’s been your real life experiences, anyone, with hauling a camper on this supposedly heavy duty half ton?

Thx

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Not to hijack the thread, but as far as carrying a self contained pop up camper in the bed, what specific build would you all recommend for that use?

What’s been your real life experiences, anyone, with hauling a camper on this supposedly heavy duty half ton?

Thx

For a “minimalist” slide in camper, I’d get a 3.5 or 5.0 with the HD Payload package. This will get you 2,000 pounds of payload which means 1-1.2k lbs with the camper and rest in passengers and cargo.

For anything heavier, F250/350.

D

Deleted member 9101

For a “minimalist” slide in camper, I’d get a 3.5 or 5.0 with the HD Payload package. This will get you 2,000 pounds of payload which means 1-1.2k lbs with the camper and rest in passengers and cargo.

For anything heavier, F250/350.
3.5 all day long. The 5.0 can't compare, especially once you start adding weight.

D

Deleted member 9101

Don’t forget to mention altitude, pulling even a modest weight makes forced induction in the mountains reason enough.

Valid point.

I know when I went from. Tampa Florida to Creede Colorado I felt my Tundra go from "peppy" to "is my e-brake still on." The only extra weight I had was very minimal camping gear in the bed and a sport bike on a 4x8 Harbor Freight trailer.

Amp34

Alright, so I know I'm coming late to this conversation but looking online I see a bewildering array of engine combos on the F-150. It's like their, what, two dozen trim levels? :rolleyes:

(XL, XLT, Lariat, FX-4, STX, Sport, Eddie Bauer, Eddie Money, Eddie Haskell, King Ranch, Hidden Valley Ranch with Bacon, Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man, etc etc.) It's tough to make heads or tails of what's out there.

But my real question is the engines. I see 2.7 and 3.5 but I also see 3.3. And from the HP figures (under 300) I'm assuming that some of these are NA while the ones that are over 300 are most likely turbo.

So is the NA 3.3 the new "base" engine? I'm assuming they don't make a non-turbo version of the 2.7, right?

There’s actually only really three trim levels.

XL, XLT, Lariat.

XL - base, base, truck, add a few options with the STX option.

XLT - mid level truck with most toys depending on package levels. (Around 70%+ of sales)

Lariat - top level - King Ranch, Platinum and Limited are high packaged Lariats with unique colour options.

Sport is an options package on the XLT and Lariat. For the XLT it adds centre console with gear lever and black interior, for both it deletes chrome and adds colour coordinated bumpers.

3.3 is the base N/A engine, pretty much only seen in fleets IRL.

2.7 and 3.5 are upgrade engines with Turbos.

5.0 is the V8 upgrade engine

3.0 Diesel is the, well, the diesel - only really makes sense if you’re towing all the time.

D

Deleted member 9101

3.5TT will handle the weight better, I’m sure. But I think 5.0 won’t be a slouch, either. Just won’t be as fast. I’m ok with that. I like the Coyote, personally.

There's nothing wrong with the 5.0, but as you said the 3.5 will do it better.

D

Deleted member 9101

If you want a fun truck with performance bordering on obnoxious, get the 3.5 and add a tune and new down pipes.... It will shock the hell out of you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94