2016-2017 F150 4x4 EcoBoost - Real world experiences??

D

Deleted member 9101

I drive by Bandimere Speedway at least once a week (it's about 5 miles from my home.) That's a pretty well known NHRA drag strip.

I don't like the idea of pushing a stock vehicle to its limits but I'd be lying if I said I never considered taking the new truck there on one of the "take it to the track" nights.

It probably wouldn't be the only EcoBoost there, either.

Every time that I have taken mine to the track, there is always a few other Ecoboost on the hunt for new victims.

Truthfully, you can beat on it pretty hard and not hurt it. So long as you get a good launch, you'll beat a lot of modified V8 trucks. Mine runs mid 13's for now. Once my daughter is old enough to "help" I'm upgrading the turbos and shooting for high 12's and around 500WHP.

How is the long-term reliability on these EBs? That's the one thing that's making me lean toward the Tundra even though it's just about the same truck that it was in 2007. Would hate to break down out in the middle of nowhere.

D

Deleted member 9101

How is the long-term reliability on these EBs? That's the one thing that's making me lean toward the Tundra even though it's just about the same truck that it was in 2007. Would hate to break down out in the middle of nowhere.

Well, I put 170K on a 3.5 that I had as a work truck and I only had to replace an alternator (burned it out running a well sampling pump, while running emergency lights, and a bunch of other stuff). It was typically either loaded down to its max GVW, or pulling a 10k trailer at 75-80 mph and never once flinched. The only maintenance it ever received was oil changes every 5k, spark plugs at 100k, and an air filter when the old one was dirty.

I have a 2.7 in my personal truck and it has performed flawlessly for 36,000 miles. It's running a BCB tune, Stainless Works catted down pipe, and Mishimoto intercooler. It easily runs mid 13s in the 1320 and has no trouble towing above it's rating, or decimating V8 powered trucks when the light turns green.

My brother has the 3.5 HO in his Limited and it is an amazing motor. My dad has the 3.5 in his Expedition and it's been 100% trouble free.

The 3.5 and 2.7 both come with forged internals and some pretty large bearings. They were both tested under some pretty obnoxious conditions and passed with flying colors. There is no shortage of modified EcoBoost trucks putting down HP/TQ numbers that V8 powered trucks can only dream of...and doing so with no problems.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter

They've been around since at least 2012 if not earlier. Millions of miles on millions of 3.5 EB's out there. If there were well known problems they would have surfaced by now. AFAIK EB's are no more likely to "break down out in the middle of nowhere" than any other modern vehicle. Breakdowns of any kind on modern trucks are extremely rare.

D

Deleted member 9101

They've been around since at least 2012 if not earlier. Millions of miles on millions of 3.5 EB's out there. If there were well known problems they would have surfaced by now. AFAIK EB's are no more likely to "break down out in the middle of nowhere" than any other modern vehicle. Breakdowns of any kind on modern trucks are extremely rare.

It hit the streets with Lincoln in 2010 and the Taurus.

JTM

Just a comment on the 10speed.

I just returned from a trip to Breckenridge where I logged a little over 2400 miles pulling a 6-6,500lbs cargo trailer over both Raton Pass and Hoosier Pass and the 10 speed was great. I did a little bit of manual shifting on the climbs because of the traffic or conditions but the transmission always felt like it knew where it needed to be, especially on the descents.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

I drive by Bandimere Speedway at least once a week (it's about 5 miles from my home.) That's a pretty well known NHRA drag strip.

I don't like the idea of pushing a stock vehicle to its limits but I'd be lying if I said I never considered taking the new truck there on one of the "take it to the track" nights.

It probably wouldn't be the only EcoBoost there, either.

Im out here in Denver area as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94