2015 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport v6 19,000miles Custom Motorhome $85k

rawtoxic

Pretty cool build, I'd seen another of his on Youtube of a Tundra. I just feel like this has to be over GVWR - right? At least the price seems reasonable compared to some other stuff out there.

I dig it! Yes, he's got a few vid's up on YT. Here's this one:
Technically, yes, will be over GVWR when loaded up. He guesses 5,700 or 5,800lb in the video (which is above what I'm finding here for the Double (Long) Cab Long Bed V6 5AT 4WD: https://www.thecarconnection.com/specifications/toyota_tacoma_2015). He's beefed up the suspension but that doesn't change legality, from what I understand.

(Salvage title is worth noting...)

Solid deal, I think.

-S

MSD

Well Known Xplor’r
Although a great rig, I’d never buy it with a salvage title… this Vehicle can’t be insured for it value or a total loss value. I would never buy anything I can’t full insure in case of the unforeseeable… as stated above to its worth nothing.

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Just looked up other past listings of the dealer. He seems to frequently sell previously damaged and then repaired vehicles, so obviously he knows what he’s doing. Interesting (and profitable) business model

Reactions: MSD

MSD

Well Known Xplor’r
I know who he is & follow him on YouTube.
Might be profitable & I never said it wasn’t profitable or that he doesn’t know what he’s doing…
My point being a Salvage vehicle has major challenges for insuring… if your going to spend $80k then be able to get total loss insurance… it’s not available if it has a salvage title Or a rebuilt title for that matter.
There are insurance companies that will insure but for a pretty penny & at about 1/2 value if things go south so to me an others that have had experience with this it’s worth nothing… I rather just take him a normal taco and have him build one…

rruff

Explorer
He's beefed up the suspension but that doesn't change legality, from what I understand.

There is no legality... but loaded up it will be way over GVWR. Durability of components is the main concern. Also, performance. Since Tacomas have a flexible frame I also wonder how that was addressed. Price seems pretty reasonable for how well it's appointed.

rawtoxic

From a law stand point being over GVWR becomes an issue, for instance, you take your dump truck to the quarry, overload it, and get in a major accident, I believe the stance of DOT laws is that your overloaded and the truck it shouldn't be on the road at that weight in the first place so you're basically automatically at fault for running an overloaded-unsafe vehicle they don't care if the punk in front of you didn't give you stopping distance before rear-ending him. Keep in mind I had this explained to me by dump truck drivers not scholars so if you know more enlighten us :)

rruff

Explorer
If you rear end someone, you are at fault regardless. I don't know how someone in front of you is supposed to "give you room". It is the driver's responsibility to maintain and control their vehicle and not cause accidents.

Commercial drivers are weighed and required to comply with GVWR (mostly for tax reasons), but for non-commercial vehicle drivers in the US, the door sticker is a manufacturer warranty and liability CYA. They are the ones who determine what that is, based on any criteria they wish, and it is only valid for the stock configuration. No one is going to weigh you and you won't get a ticket. I'd bet a majority of 1/2 ton pickups with campers out with the family for a weekend are over GVWR. You may get a ticket for an unsafe load, but that is a visual determination and judgement call by the cop.

Of course you can improve the ability of your truck to handle well while hauling weight, with tire and suspension upgrades. Other parts may wear out sooner but that is not a safety problem. A case in point is the Truckhouse camper, which uses a modified Tacoma chassis, and is way over GVWR empty. They've modified the rear axle and frame as well to address durability concerns, but the sticker can't be changed.

This truck has popped up online again...

"NOTE: Before purchase, the vehicle was painted black, the microwave removed (per my request), a telescoping leg added to table, and a different inverter (Jupiter) installed.
After purchase, Hellwig Sway Bar. SPC Upper Control Arms. Dobinsons Front Struts and Springs. Fiamma F45 10" Awning. All brand new."

If the truck did indeed sell previously for $85k and now is for sale at $90k, given what's been done to the vehicle, it makes me suspect the current owner might not be trying to flip a profit.

I don't see a reason for selling. Hoping he didn't buy and only then realize, "Oh s*&t, I can't really insure this properly, nor can I drive it without the liability of being over the GVWR."

-S

nyyankees588

My first thought was, " sweet lord, why would you raptor line the entire thing black." Then I saw the last photo and remembered that it was previously bright yellow, haha.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke