2015 Subaru Outback: The Anti-Wrangler

Adventurer
Oh and that's not to insult either vehicle. But why try and show weaknesses on one great vehicle to glorify the other? Both are great rides for what they're designed.. shouldn't even be in same discussion..

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Some misinformation. Up until 2009, the manual cars had a viscous center diff with a 50/50 power split. The autos had an electronic locking diff with a 70/30 split when not locked. The autos you can wire up for a switch to get it locked when you want. However I've never found an instant yet where the computer logic didn't have it locked in time. Plus I have the sport mode and selectable gears that make AWD drifting much more enjoyable.

On the 4eat tranny, when its placed in 1st or 2nd it's 50/50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The CVT behaves like this also. It moves to a more fixed less active 50/50 vs when in AT mode its pretty active in power shift front to rear and back.

Dougnuts

I placed an order for a Carbide Gray 3.6R today. Unfortunately, they are so popular that I am looking at the end of May for a delivery date. Four months! I'm looking forward to building my first overland vehicle and taking the boys exploring to see new places.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
We have a JKU too, however, it doesn't go L.A. to Phoenix or Flagstaff and back at a steady 80 MPH getting 24 MPG. Each has a purpose.

Our 2010 does about 26-27mpg nakid no roof gear at 80mph flat with no head winds. 65-70mph we often see tank averages of 28-30mpg. Heavy head winds its 23-24mpg. With roof rack 70mph and under we run 25-27mpg with mt bikes on each side of the roof box on fork mounts. Add the 4x6 Life Time Tent trailer and we run 21-26mpg pending speeds - we ran 26mpg tank average SF to Mendocino then over to Avenue of the Giants then home south on 101 4 day trip 1 tank of gas. Speeds were typically 55-65mph range.

We generally try to take the Subaru if we can fit all the people which case parents and two kids + dog. We pack the gear in the roof box and in bags on the trailer.

Our 07 Sequoia same trailer in high side utility trailer format with sailboat racked on the top and packed full of gear with 7 people we run about 16.5mpg at 70mph.

Dougnuts

I placed an order for a Carbide Gray 3.6R today. Unfortunately, they are so popular that I am looking at the end of May for a delivery date. Four months! I'm looking forward to building my first overland vehicle and taking the boys exploring to see new places.

Good news, I received an updated delivery date of mid-March. That will be good timing as it allows me to get the vehicle and get adjusted to it before the late April arrival of our second son.

Honu

lost on the mainland
old thread revival :) looking at a a sub

one reason I am looking is mileage kinda burnt on 12 mpg all the time

interesting to also hear the roof rack bike mileage you got

The 2010 2.5 cvt once we had 25k on the clock would do 28mpg tank averages at 75-80mph no roof rack gear. Drop it into to 65-70mph range and weve had several 32-33mpg averages per tank. They eat up big road miles easily and driver fatigue is not nearly as bad as our Sequoia. We take the Subaru every time when its just 4 of us going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz