2015 Subaru Outback - Expedition Retrofit

midlifecrisis

Observer
So I've been soaking up all kinds or great information from these forums over the last several weeks and I thought I would register and do a post for the setup I am pulling together for my new Outback. I'm going about it a little differently than anything I've seen, so I thought I would "pay it forward" as it were. in case there is anyone out there that might benefit from what I'm doing and what I am learning in the process.

The basic backstory is I have always wanted an Outback but due to legal restrictions (I was married to someone who didn't) I was never able to have one. Well, things change...and thanks to the Law of Unintended Consequences I now have a 2015 3.6 Limited, and a lot more free time on the weekends and evenings. Consequently, the dog and I have big plans for some epic road trips, aggressive car camping/backpacking, etc. so I needed to do a few things to have the little bugger be exactly what I want.

First and foremost, I wanted to do a sleeping and storage platform in the rear cargo compartment. I love being able to operate out of the car and do dry camping. Campgrounds are cool, but being out in the boondocks is my preference, generally. Most folks I've seen in my searching have simply flopped the seats down and built some storage on top of the deck. I decided to get a little more aggressive and remove all of the rear seats, cover panels, etc. to get the most room. The way I see it, with one person and a small dog the backseat is trash storage and really wasted space.

So I did a little research and development, pulled everything out and developed a design. Well, as these things go, I would say I developed an initial design. I've been at it a little over a week (evenings mostly) and I think it's probably evolved considerably at least twice and "the plan" changes in small ways almost constantly. A better idea pops into my head and I adjust.

Here is the original rough idea on Google SketchUp. If you aren't using this free program I would highly recommend it.
Sleeping platform.JPG

It's a little unsettling tearing apart a brand new car, but if you wanna make an omelette....
2015-07-24 14.56.00.jpg

Here is the setup I used for establishing where everything was located, deciding on where my bearing points would be and most importantly defining elevations of all the bearing points, items to "miss", etc. I then used all of that data to determine what my overall height of the platform would be to give me a good mixture of storage space under the deck and wallow around room above. It's also important to take the time to really analyze the heights so you are sure to have enough "meat" on the stringers. With all the crap under there to work around and over, it would be easy to get a stringer that gets too thin and weak.
This Frankenstein Special is essentially a batter board routine (a system used for setting concrete forms) and a small hand laser. All you are doing is establishing a reference height as it's all about things being relative to the vehicle. The little laser made it nice to be able to drop a tape down from the datum elevation to any given location...like the precious few flat spots under there!
2015-07-26 14.35.47.jpg

I took measurements everywhere I knew my apparatus would bear and simply wrote down the reference distance right on the spot.
This is jumping ahead a little bit, I've already built the "headboard" and the "foot board" and the two side rails. The side rails are pretty wild with probably 20 cuts to get them right. Even with the up front work, there is still a fair amount of trial and error as you run into little peaks and valleys and wires and whatnot that you have to juke around. No big deal though and once you get one side the other is almost identical with the exception of one bump, so you can trace out the other side using the first as a pattern.
2015-08-04 18.40.03.jpg

Starting to get some of the cross pieces that define the storage areas installed in this shot.
Two things here: One, I decided I wanted to have substantial onboard water with a pump. I saw the tank that Grant used that sits up in the footwell behind the front seats, but that didn't work well with what I was trying to accomplish. Second thing is I intend to get a full size spare and put it either on the cargo rack or potentially out back...haven't decided yet. Regardless, the Jenny Craig factory spare won't be going with me next summer when I head to Alaska (for instance), so I opted to work out using the spare tire well for my water tank and pump location. More on that later.
2015-08-04 19.13.16.jpg

Originally I had thought that I would need the platform to be in 4 quadrant pieces to be able to get it in and out of the car, but as it evolved, I found that the rear section could be in one piece instead of two, so my over all piece count is three. Here you can see the front piece behind the driver starting to take shape. This is also a good shot showing the Gramma's Teeth cross piece under there. Like I said, there's a lot of crap to work around.
You'll notice that in a previous picture the head board was a single piece. I essentially "land locked" the platform at first by building everything in single pieces to get it all aligned and settled properly on the bearing points, and then I cut them into there respective quadrant parts for in and out mobility. That way I knew that everything would screw back together really pretty and line up, as opposed to doing the separate quadrants by measurements and then trying to get them all mated up.
2015-08-04 21.02.08.jpg

Here are all three quadrants roughed in and sitting in their places. This was before what has come to be known as the "Great Refrigerator Remodel of 2015".
2015-08-04 21.03.52.jpg

This is a happy site! Crap from Amazon! I'll do a run down of the gear I'm compiling for this build later on, along with all of the costs for the platform and the gear.
2015-08-05 18.04.56.jpg

Here you can see in the quad behind the driver that I have revised the layout to accept the Edgestar 43 quart 12 volt refrigerator. I do NOT want to be dealing with coolers and blocks of ice when I'm on the road for 3 or 4 weeks, no way, no how. The Edgestar is a beast (size-wise) and most people either just dump it in the back for dragging out manually, or do some sort of roll out system with heavy duty cabinet glides like Grant did. I have not received the unit yet, but working from the dimensions I believe I have it sorted to be able to sit in a stationary location and still be able to fully open. I may slide it north and south a few inches during travel to be able to recline the seat more, but that remains to be seen and is a First World Problem at worst. It'll be strapped down in that location real pretty-like.
2015-08-05 21.06.50.jpg

I made the rear four hatches with removable bottom panels to make getting at the water tank, pump and fittings more user friendly. Obviously the whole damn thing comes out in a pinch, but I'd like to be able to deal with small issues without going totally yard sale. You can see my cardboard water tank mockup (patent pending) peaking out of it's little nesting location.
I'm having a 16 gallon RV tank built for that spot, which will supply hot and cold running water just like momma and daddy had in their house. More on the hot water part later.
2015-08-06 19.29.33.jpg

Page 2.....

midlifecrisis

Observer
And then....

Here I've finished building the hatch covers and you can get a feel for where it's all headed. Refer on the left, and I picked up a 4" thick tri-fold memory mattress that is 27" wide that fits on the right in the Goldilocks Department. I'm thinking the dog will have her bed in the passengers seat, which leaves lower left Mongolia for up-top crap storage like back packs and whatnot.
2015-08-07 19.33.23.jpg

The first hatch carpet-covered, and a little warm fuzzy with the camp stove in the mid-ship hatch.
2015-08-08 13.36.41.jpg

My hatches are all free-range and never caged in any way.
They are engineered (snicker) to just sit in the holes at this juncture. I realize that's going to be quite a conversation with the insurance agent in the unlikely event of a water landing, or roll-over, so I am still efforting that point. I may do some flush cam latches or something, but I kinda like nothing and you'll see why once it's done.
2015-08-08 15.08.49.jpg

Close up of a hatch and the Furring Process in process.
2015-08-08 15.54.41.jpg

Back section getting it's innards put in.
2015-08-08 17.43.32.jpg

Hatches all warm and cozy. This picture makes me wish I would have thought to stick some 1" foam under the carpet covering....it would have been so cool in a 1970's "I've got a van, come take a look" kinda way but, alas, the thought did not occur until late into the game and those buggers will not uncover easily. Que sera.
See why I don't want latches? All nice and CLEAN, just the way I like it.
2015-08-08 16.31.23.jpg

And done! You'll notice it's dark, which is because it's 11:30 and I bet the neighbors are digging the air compressor sounds.
2015-08-08 22.43.32.jpg

The front sections with some rolled corners and whatnot for style points.
2015-08-08 22.43.51.jpg
2015-08-08 22.43.40.jpg

I still have a few more irons in the fire:
1. The sidewall area behind the passenger seat is going to get some shelving or something to utilize that space.
2. The drivers side, all the way back at the rear hatch: there's a wide spot in the road and a little cubby hole with a 12v outlet and I am going to build a little charging station for GPS units and the like in that spot, with a deck to keep it all from going walkabout underneath, and a scallop in that hatch cover for hand access.
3. I have a voltage gauge, water pump switch, double USB outlet and a switch for that to install somewhere near the charging station. Still noodling that layout.
4. Water tank and pump to install once the tank gets here. I am planning a quick disconnect mounted in the footrail so you'll simply pop a hose onto that for feeding my hot water heater and shower setup.
5. Battery. I am looking for a reasonable price on a AGM battery since it'll be in the passenger compartment. I was hoping for two 6v batteries, but the space issue is at critical mass, so I'm think a single 12V is going to be how that works out. Also looking into a solar trickler and a Frankenmount for the cargo basket.
6. I think I'll skin the refer area with something to cover up that unsightly remodel scar. Didn't want carpet in there for obvious reasons....maybe some laminate or something.
7. Other stuff....

Last edited:

midlifecrisis

Observer
So, here is what I have spent so far, and what I spent it on.
If anyone wants specifics let me know and I can do links and crap if you like.

Plywood, carpet, glue, etc. (this number is a little high because of other stuff I've picked up) $190
Rola roof cargo rack $149.33
Hot water heater $130.17
5 gallon auxiliary water carrier $12.00
4" memory foam tri-fold mattress $101.90
Shower tent $93.74
Water pump $54.69
Filter $7.96
1 gallon propane tank $52.97
Electrical to date (voltage gauge, USB, switches, plates) $72.43
Jaylow kayak rack $132.00
Lock cores for kayak rack $32.00
RV Water tank with custom outlets $178.95
Refrigerator $444.00
Strapping (includes some general stuff and a big strap with tie down points for the refer) $24.66
Watching the dog stalk around the car all day and night, can't wait to GO! $Priceless

Still to buy:
Battery(s) ~$200
Fuse block ~$30
Misc wiring and fuses ~$30
Some sort of window shade/screen setup.....I....have....a.....plan? ~$?
Wire rope and bits & pieces to fabricate a cargo rack locking net (think about those backpack sized mesh dealios, but BIGGER) ~$70

GregSplett

Adventurer
I am looking forward to this build.

I spent a lot of years camping/ living out of a Subaru wagon..The first one was an 84 gl and the second was an 87.I spent an entire year in the 87 playing steelhead bum on the Hoh river after my divorce.

On both i kept the back seats but removed the padding and kept the frames.Made for a lot more room for storage when seats were laid down.There just was not enough head room for a platform in EA.Both had roof racks and a "awning" that came off the rack over the hatch.They both poled and staked to give me a dry spot out the hatch.

My black lab slept in the passenger seat usually.

Back then there were no fridges so I learned how to live with out ice.I hate buying, melting ice!

Happy building!

midlifecrisis

Observer
You think so?

I never really looked into the carrying capacity of the Outback, and I haven't been very scientific about developing the loaded weight, but my women's intuition and some rough penciling tells me my fully loaded cargo weight should be in the 500-600 pound range. Would you expect unacceptable butt sagging at those weights?

edit: did a quick search and the rated payload capacity is 1,040 - 1,102 lbs (not sure on that range, but I suspect my 3.6 is the high end). I know these things can blossom, but I wouldn't think I'd get to a half ton, even with the bucket of red licorice.

I did recognize that having the water weight behind the rear wheels wasn't optimum, but I assumed that 120 pounds back there wouldn't kill her. The frig and the battery(s) will be amidships.

By the way, I owe you and your thread a big thanks for getting me rolling and for doing a fair amount of the leg work on some of the parts and pieces I've picked up. I back-checked you before flipping my card onto the counter top, but you've got a good eye for stuff and I've boggarted several of your support gears.

midlifecrisis

Observer
Side bar this morning:

One of the critical pieces of gear I wanted, and thanks to Mr Wagonofdoom for picking a good one, was a portable hot water heater. When contemplating long road trips, one of the rough spots for me has always been a good hot shower, and I want to be able to make that happen away from the campgrounds, so I picked up the Triton 5l.

I like the unit a lot, but I was sorely underwhelmed by the "stand" they provided. I put quotes around "stand" because it is more like a couple of coat hangers in a loving embrace than any sort of substantial piece of equipment. As sometimes happens, I had a fairly elegant and very functional solution laying around the garage in the guise of an old oscillating fan stand. I'd thrown away the dead motor and cage but kept the stand because it looked like it might be handy some day for something.

Voila!
I attached a small flat spot of plywood with some self tappers to keep it from orbiting and used the included bit of velcro strapping at the bottom end. It's quite solid.
IMG_0839 (1).jpg

On the backside I added a curtain hold back hook for hose management purposes.
IMG_0840.jpg

Total cost $0.00
And it all breaks down into easy to pack flat pieces instead of that three dimensional wire frame nonsense that came with it..

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
You think so?

I never really looked into the carrying capacity of the Outback, and I haven't been very scientific about developing the loaded weight, but my women's intuition and some rough penciling tells me my fully loaded cargo weight should be in the 500-600 pound range. Would you expect unacceptable butt sagging at those weights?

edit: did a quick search and the rated payload capacity is 1,040 - 1,102 lbs (not sure on that range, but I suspect my 3.6 is the high end). I know these things can blossom, but I wouldn't think I'd get to a half ton, even with the bucket of red licorice.

I did recognize that having the water weight behind the rear wheels wasn't optimum, but I assumed that 120 pounds back there wouldn't kill her. The frig and the battery(s) will be amidships.

By the way, I owe you and your thread a big thanks for getting me rolling and for doing a fair amount of the leg work on some of the parts and pieces I've picked up. I back-checked you before flipping my card onto the counter top, but you've got a good eye for stuff and I've boggarted several of your support gears.
capacity and realisticness is are separate things

check this out:
Untitled by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
ZERO weight in the back. just the rack, awning

Subaru Outback Packed up by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
general load. Id say 300 total lbs, water tank is empty in the backseat, spare tire is resting on a log

Subaru Outback by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
Just hte drawers and fridge

tent and bare rear loading.

My calculations are:
tent- 110
rack- 75
drawers empty- 38
fridge - 45 lbs
emtpy water tank - 8 lbs
tools and recovery gear - 40 lbs

thats JUST what you see in the squatted picture that is last. thats with most of hte mass over the actual axle line, and a bit forward in some cases (rack and half the tent) and i lost 2" (yes, not a lie) 2" of ground clearance. My lower control arms are actually current perfectly level. I scraped places saturday wheeling i have never scraped before. the area of my LCA just next to the subframe is scrached up. that never happens

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
Side bar this morning:

One of the critical pieces of gear I wanted, and thanks to Mr Wagonofdoom for picking a good one, was a portable hot water heater. When contemplating long road trips, one of the rough spots for me has always been a good hot shower, and I want to be able to make that happen away from the campgrounds, so I picked up the Triton 5l.

I like the unit a lot, but I was sorely underwhelmed by the "stand" they provided. I put quotes around "stand" because it is more like a couple of coat hangers in a loving embrace than any sort of substantial piece of equipment. As sometimes happens, I had a fairly elegant and very functional solution laying around the garage in the guise of an old oscillating fan stand. I'd thrown away the dead motor and cage but kept the stand because it looked like it might be handy some day for something.

Voila!
I attached a small flat spot of plywood with some self tappers to keep it from orbiting and used the included bit of velcro strapping at the bottom end. It's quite solid.
View attachment 298632

On the backside I added a curtain hold back hook for hose management purposes.
View attachment 298633

Total cost $0.00
And it all breaks down into easy to pack flat pieces instead of that three dimensional wire frame nonsense that came with it..

the other alternative is to get small U bolts and make a gusset. Its just that bend in the stand that makes if flop back and forth. I welded a gusset in and it doesnt move all that much anymore

Im SUPER happy someone else is playing iwth a 15. If you need anything, never hesitate to ask

this is the lower control arms with just 120 lbs taken out (roof top tent and some stuff out of the drawers)

when you see the shot with the springs in, you will see the big difference

Last edited:

midlifecrisis

Observer
the other alternative is to get small U bolts and make a gusset. Its just that bend in the stand that makes if flop back and forth. I welded a gusset in and it doesnt move all that much anymore

Im SUPER happy someone else is playing iwth a 15. If you need anything, never hesitate to ask

this is the lower control arms with just 120 lbs taken out (roof top tent and some stuff out of the drawers)

when you see the shot with the springs in, you will see the big difference

On the water heater, I also toyed around with adding another tube of some sort along the back like is already on the unit that the legs slide into. If you hold the leg tight to the lower corners of the unit as if there were a second guide point there, it gets nice and sturdy as well. If I have to start jettisoning passengers from the lower decks to keep the weight down, maybe I will revisit that!

On the load issue, I will keep my eyes peeled as things come together and I may have to adjust some portions of The Plan I suppose.

I have a different focus than you as I'm not trying to build a super capable off-roader, just a great self contained road trip/self camper vehicle with all of the "normal" Outback off road capability for forest roads and some light wheeling perhaps. This is my daily driver, and I also really LOVE the car on an everyday basis, so I am going to be extremely cautious, to the point of leery, on any drive train or suspension changes. I don't want to do anything that is going to compromise how I use the car 90% of the time.

You're an excellent source of information and I really appreciate the input. It's nice to be second in line on some of these things as opposed to breaking trail. :)

edit: I was wondering, and I don't know much about the lift you did, but is it possible the lift pushes your out into a less coiled up spring which makes the delta when you load more obvious? Just spitballing....
I've circled back and started a weight log of everything and I bet your 300# estimate on the "loaded up" photo is light. I've been fairly shocked at the actual weights on some of these things.

Shower tent 19#
Roof rack (mine) 38# (yours is bigger/heavier)
Propane tank empty 11#
Water heater/stand 16#
Frig 49#
Starts to add up pretty fast...that's almost 150# right there, and that's before any beer.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I think you'll be ok your build looks like you can keep the heavy stuff forward which helps keep the squat factor down.
My rig 2010 2.5 cvt with 67,000 miles. It hauls 4 and the 4x6 Lifetime trailer.20150522_175306.jpg
^ This was taken prior to taking a bunch of rookie newbie campers on a trip, we had gear for 8 vs our typical 4. We were heavy with major squat going. Probably 300lbs more than our typical setup.
I spotted a kid in a 2001 OB using a low profile backpackers cot in the back of the OB earlier this summer. Looked like a great bed set up without too much head room impact. I think it would work great on your platform.

Last edited:

midlifecrisis

Observer
I think you'll be ok your build looks like you can keep the heavy stuff forward which helps keep the squat factor down.
My rig 2010 2.5 cvt with 67,000 miles. It hauls 4 and the 4x6 Lifetime trailer.View attachment 298730

I spotted a kid in a 2001 OB using a low profile backpackers cot in the back of the OB earlier this summer. Looked like a great bed set up without too much head room impact. I think it would work great on your platform.

Can't tell what's in that trailer, but I'd bet all the money in your wallet that you are well over the measly 200# tongue weight allowed per the specs. Looks like it works out OK though.
If the weight gets to be too much, you should leave all the kids home. ;-)

I picked up a nice 4" memory foam mattress that tri-folds for easy storage. It's pretty nice actually.
I have lower back issues (3 surgeries so far over the years) so things like cots and hammocks are a distant memory.

Dake21

Adventurer
Can you guys put airbags in your rear suspension? That would fix it. Or/and adjustable shocks maybe.

midlifecrisis

Observer
Can you guys put airbags in your rear suspension? That would fix it. Or/and adjustable shocks maybe.

That's an interesting idea I had been wondering about myself toady.
Probably not a great solution for Grant with the four wheeling, but an air assist that you could pooch up when you needed it and drop back down for the rest of the time to a stock configuration would be perfect for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles