2015 Sprinter 4x4 build begins

Err

Observer
I suppose folks may find it interesting to see our previous rigs that have lead us to the Sprinter. These are my last two builds

2012 F350 - Loaded down with all the toys on a week long trip last fall. The big Ford had all the power and luxury items you could ever want for, with the locking, sealed deck, it also had tons of storage space. Driving on rough roads was brutal and there was no where to hang out except inside the tent. The Ford was fairly needy on service items -
oregon0914-366-L.jpg

2009 Hummer H3T - Fun little rig that was absolutely killer offroad (more than I needed really) right off the showroom floor. Not much power and nor interior space but had a locking sealed bed cover on it as well so wasn't too bad fitting everything. Factory roof rack couldn't handle the tent.
h3texpo1.jpg

I have a 2011 4Runner fairly well setup but along with the H3T, it's just far too under-powered, especially out here in the West with our high elevation combined with 75 and 80 MPH speed limits. The fact that we carry a lot of gear doesn't help. Prior to these we had a couple other 4Runners, an FJ60 Landcruiser and a Nissan Titan that all had their pros and cons. After being around a few other Sprinters we knew the space and the torquey little diesel (wouldn't mind a turbo gasser either, newer diesels are such a PITA!) would suit us well.

Dug up a shot of the 4Runner early on in the build. Custom Tuned Radflo coilovers, airbags, sliders, 33" Duratracs, has different wheels now and airbags. It's a trail edition with the locker out back and all the offroad gadgets. Fun truck at 60 MPH in the Desert but not much of a travel rig if you want to carry anything but the bare essentials. 2 of us, a dog and 2 bikes had this rig rather over-loaded
DadFarmertrip2012-064-L.jpg

Last edited:

Keyne

Adventurer
Wow awesome. Cant wait to hear more. For me this would be the perfect vehicle for US and then Europe travel. I really want to hear about reliability.

Also, I was surprised in one of the original shots it looks like it came with Kumho tires stock? Surprised that a 60K Bens comes with those.

Err

Observer
Also, I was surprised in one of the original shots it looks like it came with Kumho tires stock? Surprised that a 60K Bens comes with those.

Heh, yes, being surprised at the lack of quality at this price point has become a theme. I can only imagine the insane profit margins on this thing now that I've spent some time with it up close. Selling price was several thousand more than my F350 and it's just not even in the same league from a materials and features standpoint.

Thebus

Observer
Really glad someone is doing a thread on this. I checked out a cargo one in my area. i really hope reliability isn't to bad I'm seriously considering one. I'll have to sell the 80 but this seems more my style now anyway. Congrats and best of luck!

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
From what I have read - it is available in all of the models - cargo and passenger - not sure about the cab / cutaway versions in the USA though.

Wish they offered the double cabs here!

2011-mercedes-sprinter-7_600x0w.jpg

Err

Observer
Yeah, Cargo, Crew, and Passenger models in both high and low roofs for sure. Not certain on actual availability of cab chassis

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
By "crew" you mean the half passenger / half cargo version of the van and not the double cab - right?

Also be sure to order the slightly more expensive version of the 4x4 with the low range - its hardly any more expensive...

Err

Observer
By "crew" you mean the half passenger / half cargo version of the van and not the double cab - right?

Also be sure to order the slightly more expensive version of the 4x4 with the low range - its hardly any more expensive...

Yeah, the "Crew" model has a removable 2nd row bench seats and a few other niceties that the Cargo doesn't have but less than the Passenger model.

Agree on low range, it's like $300 IIRC. My options list is in the first post. There are a ton of options to consider.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Yeah, Cargo, Crew, and Passenger models in both high and low roofs for sure. Not certain on actual availability of cab chassis
At one point, it seemed like all the models would get 4WD, but at the current time, it doesn't appear you can have it on the cab chassis units. What I've read was that orders have been strong and MBz production is limited by parts they need to get from outside suppliers. Apparently, any 4x4 Sprinters ordered now will be 2016 models that will arrive in the fall.

Once they do catch up with demand, you have to imagine they'll be 4x4 cab chassis units. I seems like it'd be a market that could make use of it, and I can't think that there's any technical impediments.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Helpful and interesting for you to share your past rigs and what you found lacking. Particularly interested in what you like, and dislike about the 4WD Sprinter.

Josh_G

Observer
Err thanks for sharing this. Crossed paths with you over the years on mtbr. Still got that fantastic chromag?

Err

Observer
Err thanks for sharing this. Crossed paths with you over the years on mtbr. Still got that fantastic chromag?

Ha, it's a small world. I have a Sakura and a Stash hanging on the wall in my basement. The current stable is a BMC TF01, Nomad 3, and a P-Slope these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles