2015 or 2016 Rav4

MOguy

Explorer
I am think about a Rav4. I won't be using it off-road, more on shorter road trips and just running around.

Anybody here have one? do you like it?

It will be replacing a Acadia Denali. I don't need that big of a vehicle anymore and won't be towing anything with it. I want smaller, better mileage, dependability and maintainability.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
My relative has one a few years old. Does its job. Never off road. Goes through snow with good tires. Decent MPG (v6, AWD). My neighbor just bought one as well. He wasn't enthusiastic about it. He said his Ford CMax rode better. But it should be very dependable.

Have you looked at a Forester? That would be my pick. I like the AWD system better. Bigger/taller seat space. I like the ergonomics better as well.

MOguy

Explorer
My relative has one a few years old. Does its job. Never off road. Goes through snow with good tires. Decent MPG (v6, AWD). My neighbor just bought one as well. He wasn't enthusiastic about it. He said his Ford CMax rode better. But it should be very dependable.

Have you looked at a Forester? That would be my pick. I like the AWD system better. Bigger/taller seat space. I like the ergonomics better as well.

The closest dealer for Subaru dealer is almost a 200 mile round trip for me, part might be an issue. When I do car fax search the closest used ones are at the dealership. I am not a Ford fan and after having the Denali I am no longer a GMC fan. I live rural, Jeep, Chevy, Ford, Toyota and Kia are the only dealerships with 50 miles. I am looking for something simpler and maintainable. Toyota is popular out my way.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
For the cute mini SUVs I would buy another Subaru Outback even though I hate our 5 dealers so much I would live to see them go out of business. I’m not a big fan if the CVT either but my old tired 2010 Outback ran circles around a couple of the dads various RAV4 ‘s the AWD in them is absolute junk. Same for the Highlander.

The all new smaller Acadia with the more advanced center diff found in the Trail edition gets you Subaru and better AWD plus a better transmission and better engine. Far superior to the RAV which also has a steep Toyota tax on price.

MOguy

Explorer
Too bad you're not near a Mazda dealer. The CX-5 is the best small ute. I've driven them all recently, including Subarus.
We have a Ford Mazda dealer close enough but wife thinks they are Ugly. This will be mostly her vehicle.

Edit. I just should more picks and now she says they aren't ugly. I may have to check them out.

Neosapian

Innate Outdoor Co
Howdy, first I'll offer a contrasting perspective, then circle back to the Rav 4.

Optioned up Rav 4's are priced well into Volkswagen AllTrack and Tiguan territory, and based on my ownership experience the Volkswagen product is without a doubt light years ahead in build quality, comfort, and performance. The new VW 1.8T and 2.0T drivetrains are exceptionally reliable as well. My Lady owned 4 generations of Toyota Carola, until she test drove a new Golf TDI back in 2013. She's now on her second VW (2016 GTI) and we/she will never go back to paying "Toyota Tax" for another one of their compact vehicles. But i digress. Hear me out...

This is not a suggestion to buy a Volkswagen instead of a Toyota! Although it's not a terrible idea, it isn't exactly a fair comparison. My point is, a lot of the Rav's out there aren't exactly a bargain and there might be cars in a “nicer” segment at the same price point.

“Nice” isn’t everything though. Some people want a car that they can pass on to their grand children without breaking the bank on maintenance. So i’ll circle back to more direct comparisons. Subaru, Mazda, Kia and Hyundai come to mind as great alternative options that offer more vehicle for equal or less money with excellent safety and reliability records.

That said, I'd buy a 2016 Subaru Forester or Outback over any Toyota equivalent. From my limited test drive experience, the Rav 4 is a good vehicle. For my money and intended use, Subaru products are even better. The 2016 Forester for example has more fuel range, better ground clearance, an equally robust drivetrain and an arguably more capable AWD system, for a lower purchase price. It still has strong residual resale value as well. Subi interiors aren't the best however, and I bet the Rav 4's headlights are better.

If you plan to own a vehicle for 5 - 10 years or 60-100k miles, a 200 mile drive to a Subaru dealership isn't very far in the grand scheme of things.

Sometimes its useful to drive and price different brands. Other times its useful to just buy into our brand loyalty for peace of mind, or because it's simply what our Wive's want ? regardless of value proposition. The Rav 4 is a good choice. They feel and drive like you'd expect. No frills. No surprises. Choosing between the 2015 and 2016 is just a matter of price and appearance package as far as I can tell. They'll both get the job done well.

Check out Edmunds.com for detailed specifications.

Looking forward to seeing the car when the time comes!

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
Here is my situation. I drive a 79 K30 and 2001 Wrangler. Both are very easy to fix and maintain. I have an 04 POS cavalier as a daily driver.

This purchase is for the wife ride which is currently an 2011 Acadia Denali. It has 106K miles on it and in the shop for a new T case $2100, had multiple electrical issues previously $1500.00, and a blend door motor issue $200.00. All but about $500.00 has been paid by extended warranty. I just don't trust this POS anymore and I can't fix it. I can't even fit my hand in places let alone a wrench.

At this point I am even contemplating 3 year leases. I can't work on new vehicles so I want a warranty so some else will.

New vehicles scare me.

Leasing is different than a purchase obviously so there are different considerations for me. Money is different on a lease vs a purchase, that opens things up a bit. However if I am dealing with a new car warranty than dealer location is even more of a factor. Toyota, Jeep/Dodge, Chevy/GMC and Ford/Mazda and my options due to location. Even then I am looking at a 50-70 mile round trip.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Don’t forget that lots of new modern “suvs” are replacing cars. The New Escape due out next yr is interesting as is the Lincoln Corsair.

Keep in mind the old 2017 and older Acadia was an old platform with lots of known deficiencies and quality issues. The new GM stuff have been quite good.

plh

Explorer
I've leased several new vehicles over the years and works out well in a lot of situations for our family. Currently have a 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV on lease for my wife. She absolutely loves it. Basically uses it to commute for work which is nice because she has a charge spot there. Lots of times she has gone 1,000 miles on 8 or 9 gallons of gas with her managing charging very closely. Caveat with any lease is the miles cap. She watches that like a hawk, not for everyone. I would not own (purchase) an EV/PHEV for several reasons - can't work on it, quickly changing technology etc etc etc. We will most likely lease another one when this lease is up (about 2 years left). It has only been back to the Mitsubishi dealer for oil changes (included in lease) and a software update over the past 14 months.

MOguy

Explorer
Don’t forget that lots of new modern “suvs” are replacing cars. The New Escape due out next yr is interesting as is the Lincoln Corsair.

Keep in mind the old 2017 and older Acadia was an old platform with lots of known deficiencies and quality issues. The new GM stuff have been quite good.

You can't say a 2018 or newer is good, just has not been out long enough. I can only go on past performance which in my opinion makes any Acadia a real POS.

MOguy

Explorer
As far as the AWD, I am fine with just front wheel drive. This vehicle will not go "off-road".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles