2015 JKU Rubicon, 1.75" spacers vs AEV 2.5 Dual Sport

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
My wife has a 2015 JKU Rubi. Already has Nemesis flares and 35s. Works pretty dang good, has wheeled some trails that are certainly on the harder side for her build level (like Pickle in Moab). Problem is she drags everywhere. Thing is super low with no break over angle. So we want to put a little lift on it. It's her DD, and shes short, so she doesnt want to go taller than she has to. The 35s already fit fine with very minimal rubbing so this is really only to help her ground clearance.

But as I said it's her DD. Shes picky about how it drives, and she has to drive it to work, and drive it to and from the trails while I trailer my ZJ. It might pull our M416 here and there, but we rarely use it anymore.

Most of her wheeling is going to be more along the lines of what this board is geared towards, which is why I posted here. Once or twice a year she'll need to really get after it following me in my ZJ, but the real focus is driveability on the highway.

I know ZJs like the back of my hand and know without a doubt what I would do on a ZJ, but these funky barbie Jeeps with their frames and other nonsense throw me off. So what say you, ExPo? Which should we do? Or what options have I missed to achieve a similar result? I want to minimize cost of course, but have no problem paying for quality.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Superduty

Adventurer
You make MANY arguments to leave it as it is. Then for one or two times a year you need these additional modifications.

Seems like you answered your own questions. Leave it as is. Don't take it out that once or twice a year. Have her ride in the zj.

Just doesn't seem worth the mods for twice a year.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Not leaving it as is. She wants to take her Jeep and doesnt want to ride passenger. There are also times when we only have her JK as the truck is occupied pulling our 5th wheel and cant tow my ZJ. We also want her JK to be able to do any trail my ZJ can so that we can go out just the 2 of us.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

uberhahn

Observer
My 2015 JKUR is a daily driver - since new. Now at 100k miles. I've had the AEV 2.5" since 25K miles (along with the geometry brackets). Much better ride than stock. I'm riding on 285 (roughly 33") Duratracks. It wasn't cheap. But the OEM springs sagged in the front so quickly with my winch, I wanted to replace them.

AEV was the right choice for me. Still going strong.

G0to60

Observer
My wife went with a 2.5" lift (Terraflex) with 35's on her JKU and she loves it. She is 5'4" but it's not terribly difficult for her to get in. It is also her daily driver and she has no complaints with the ride or handling. The key is whatever kit you get be sure to correct the geometry (brackets or control arms) or it just won't feel right.

KinzuaX

The AEV dual sport springs are designed for just what you are talking about. It has one section of coils wound at a higher spring rate for on the road and another section with a lower spring rate to allow suspension travel. If you have plans to load the Jeep up with overland weight I would recommend the Old Man Emu springs over the AEV. They are available in 2". You may want to consider them regardless if she likes the JK not too high as they also have a non heavy load version.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
I like the dual rate springs as the load will vary quite a bit. Driving to and from work, empty. Wheeling harder trails with me, empty. Wheeling medium trails there could be 180lbs of dog in the back or my trail box which weighs ~150lbs. Or the M416 could be on the back and the dogs in there. So it could vary quite a bit.

Looks like I was headed down the right path with AEV.

jadmt

ignore button user
I have had several different lifts including AEV 2", 2.5" and 3.5" If you like the current ride the AEV 2" will give you exactly 2" and ride the same and will clear 35's on most trails. The AEV 2.5" is a great riding lift and will actually feel better than stock and clear 35's the 3.5 is also great riding on and off and will clear 35's and even 37's. I have had rock krawler 2.5 and 3.5 and they do fine too. I currently have a mopar 2" lift and on my jkurr and it has been to moab and with 35's had no rubbing on some of the harder trails there. It also rides and handles very well on the street and I carry a fair amount of weight, I carry an ARB 50 and often pull a trailer with 265lb tongue weight. It is a great deal for the money.
It does not sit to terribly tall.
IMG_20190821_175107978_zpshixr4ghf.jpg

uberhahn

Observer
My 2015 JKUHR is a daily driver since new. Now at 100K miles. 78K have been on a mopar 2" lift with AEV geometry brackets. Great ride since installed. Original springs sagged so quickly in the front. Easily clearing 285 Duratracs (33"+).

Despite the initial cost, I have no regrets. Kit was dealer installed with warranty and with a new front driveshaft. I tow and load the jeep fully. I like it a lot.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Ordered everything last night for the AEV 2.5 with the brackets. I'll post up our thoughts after we get it on.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles