2015 GMC Canyon

deadly99

Explorer
I bought a new truck a few weeks back and have a list of modifications I intend to do to it. The build will be a slow one as my budget doesnt allow for everything to be done at once. I thought I'd start this thread to document the build over the coming months/years.

2015 GMC Canyon, All Terrain package. Pretty much bone stock at the moment. New car smell is nice :)

gmc.jpg

I believe this truck will make a good base for a decent back country explorer. It has decent power, is very comfortable inside and has many modern features that I haven't had in previous vehicles. Maybe I am getting mature in my middle age but being crammed into a truck/Jeep and "putting" up with its crappy on road handling and lack of comfort seems like a good trade off for a decrease in off road ability. The fuel mileage is decent on this thing which is important to me as it will be used for some long distance trips and will be my daily driver for the next X years.

ZMagic97

Explorer
Great looking truck! I can't wait to see more of it as I was really impressed by these when I saw them at the auto show last year.

michael_l

Observer
Awesome, looking forward to seeing this progress. Have you had any of the other issues I've seen on Coloradofans? (ie leaking door sill or window gasket, tranission issues, rattle from aft fenders of bed, or steering wheel vibrations)?

I really like these trucks and they drive great, definitely interested in seeing the zr2 and diesel this fall.

Last edited:

deadly99

Explorer
I have a small whistle from front left windshield but you have no listen for it. Aside from that I haven't had any issues.

Ordered a 2 inch lift for the front to level the truck, hopefully install it next week sometime.

Researching cap styles. Leaning towards a roof height Ranch cap with rails on the top. Been chatting with someone at Baja Racks, looks like they have a nice low profile cage that attaches directly to the rails (as opposed to cross bars) which will keep the overall height of the truck down.

Once that's complete a light bar in the grill and one on the front of the roof cage is on the list of things to do.

Since the truck is new to market the aftermarket bolt on armor isn't available yet. Not a bad thing as I am still in the honeymoon phase and this will keep from beating on the truck too hard for the first year or two :)

This will be my daily driver for the next ten years so the build will be a slow one. This year is to get it setup for camping as I have a trip or two in mind...

Ordered a Goal Zero Yeti 400 instead of dicking around with a dual battery setup. Seemed like a no brainer given my needs and wants.

About to order a remap package (cable and software) from Trifecta. Supposed to add 25hp, more torque and give better mpg. Stock the tranny has hesitation if you drive aggressively. This remap is supposed to fix that, or so says the folks I've chatted to who have done it.

Zr2 and diesel...I am about to move into the city this summer after years of living in a cabin out in the middle of nowhere...so this truck has to fit in a 20x20 garage along with the wife's car, my motorcycle and the wife's scooter. The extra width of the zr2 is so darned appealing but just won't work for me. A diesel being warmed up every morning in the attached garage, well my wife hates the smell (had a few diesel cars/trucks in the past). The length of truck was a sell point for me as it fits in the garage, adding bumpers is going to be a challenge down the road as is the overall height of the truck as I know I will be adding some suspension and larger tires.

The spare tire needs to be relocated as it hangs too low under the truck. The roof basket isn't viable as I don't want the extra weight up high. In the past I have had pre runner bed mount style racks for wheels, they look sweet but take up the entire bed. I am think vertically mounted to the front of the bed (blocking rear window). A compromise for sure...

Time and money...not enough of either

Awesome, looking forward to seeing this progress. Have you had any of the other issues I've seen on Coloradofans? (ie leaking door sill or window gasket, tranission issues, rattle from aft fenders of bed, or steering wheel vibrations)?

I really like these trucks and they drive great, definitely interested in seeing the zr2 and diesel this fall.

Last edited:

michael_l

Observer
I have a small whistle from front left windshield but you have no listen for it. Aside from that I haven't had any issues.

Ordered a 2 inch lift for the front to level the truck, hopefully install it next week sometime.

Researching cap styles. Leaning towards a roof height Ranch cap with rails on the top. Been chatting with someone at Baja Racks, looks like they have a nice low profile cage that attaches directly to the rails (as opposed to cross bars) which will keep the overall height of the truck down.

Once that's complete a light bar in the grill and one on the front of the roof cage is on the list of things to do.

Since the truck is new to market the aftermarket bolt on armor isn't available yet. Not a bad thing as I am still in the honeymoon phase and this will keep from beating on the truck too hard for the first year or two :)

This will be my daily driver for the next ten years so the build will be a slow one. This year is to get it setup for camping as I have a trip or two in mind...

Ordered a Goal Zero Yeti 400 instead of dicking around with a dual battery setup. Seemed like a no brainer given my needs and wants.

About to order a remap package (cable and software) from Trifecta. Supposed to add 25hp, more torque and give better mpg. Stock the tranny has hesitation if you drive aggressively. This remap is supposed to fix that, or so says the folks I've chatted to who have done it.

Zr2 and diesel...I am about to move into the city this summer after years of living in a cabin out in the middle of nowhere...so this truck has to fit in a 20x20 garage along with the wife's car, my motorcycle and the wife's scooter. The extra width of the zr2 is so darned appealing but just won't work for me. A diesel being warmed up every morning in the attached garage, well my wife hates the smell (had a few diesel cars/trucks in the past). The length of truck was a sell point for me as it fits in the garage, adding bumpers is going to be a challenge down the road as is the overall height of the truck as I know I will be adding some suspension and larger tires.

The spare tire needs to be relocated as it hangs too low under the truck. The roof basket isn't viable as I don't want the extra weight up high. In the past I have had pre runner bed mount style racks for wheels, they look sweet but take up the entire bed. I am think vertically mounted to the front of the bed (blocking rear window). A compromise for sure...

Time and money...not enough of either

Awesome! Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm not entirely sold yet on the diesel but definitely want to drive it and see how it goes. I don't think the 4 banger will take too terribly long to warm up, though that is a concern.

I've also read really good things about the trifecta tune as well, so for sure report back here on what your own results are.

Again, congrats on a sweet ride, I really hope they hold up so the aftermarket community gets on board and part options present themselves.

fitt

Just plug in the block heater no warm up needed. My D-Max starts like summer even in unheated garage. I put mine on HD timer 4 hrs be fore I leave, works great

deadly99

Explorer
Awesome! Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm not entirely sold yet on the diesel but definitely want to drive it and see how it goes. I don't think the 4 banger will take too terribly long to warm up, though that is a concern.

I've also read really good things about the trifecta tune as well, so for sure report back here on what your own results are.

Again, congrats on a sweet ride, I really hope they hold up so the aftermarket community gets on board and part options present themselves.

Just waiting on brown santa to deliver the usb cord. Also waiting on a led light bar to fit into the front bumper area.

Took the truck out and gave the suspension a good work out on small fun, fast trails. I can foresee adding some after market suspension down the line but I was surprised how well the stock soaked up some relatively good hits.

IMG_20150426_112446.jpg

IMG_20150426_113342.jpg

IMG_20150426_113521.jpg

Next post should see the front lifted 2 inches, the spare tire relocated and the front bumper air deflector removed. This should provide a bit more clearance. Pennies are being saved for a 32 inch, more aggressive set of tires and a cap for the back.

deadly99

Explorer
Just plug in the block heater no warm up needed. My D-Max starts like summer even in unheated garage. I put mine on HD timer 4 hrs be fore I leave, works great

For 10 years I had a diesel...10 years of listening to the wife whine and complain about the smell....I wont be going down that road again :)

deadly99

Explorer

Zapped the truck with the Trifecta tune from WOT-Tuning.com and in all the years of messing around with cars and bikes this was the biggest bang for the buck thing I have done. Sincerely, it is like a whole different truck. It now feels like it has 330 hp, stoked on that. Wednesday the 2 inch lift goes into the front of the truck.

I've been cruising around checking out the various caps available and believe I have narrowed it down to one of two options...

deadly99

Explorer
Do you have a picture of it at stock height without the air dam?

No sorry, took the air deflector off last night and added the 2 inch lift.

It was a bit more of a pita to install then I would have thought. Sway bar, upper ball joint off, etc all had to be disconnected. Took about an hour and a half with a couple of us. A bit of tugging and pulling to get the sway bar back on and the rod back in place. The truck will now need an alignment but that was to be expected. Removing the shock from the spring was straight forward as the kit puts on riser on the bottom of the shock and a second spacer on top of the spring. The ground clearance is now pretty decent, the truck sits level and overall I am impressed that this $90 kit from Rough Country made such an improvement for the $90 spent. The ride doesn't seem to be any different, which is a pleasant surprise as I was a bit skeptical the front end would be too harsh.

IMG_20150505_154147.jpg

IMG_20150505_154136.jpg

IMG_20150505_162153.jpg

IMG_20150505_160028.jpg

IMG_20150505_181737.jpg

IMG_20150505_181721.jpg

The lift enables a larger set of tires. I have my eye on a set of the new BF at2's in a 32 or 33. This truck uses a new bolt pattern on the wheels which is a bummer as buying wheels means buying blanks and having them drilled...so in the interest of having some gas money to actually use the truck I will be sticking with the stock wheels for the time being.

About to drop a deposit on a cab high capper, should be installed early this summer as it has to be ordered since none of the local dudes have any in stock for this truck.

Not sure what to do about bumpers. I have a major limitation in that the truck needs to fit in my garage and as it sits I have 1 inch of clearance front and back. Wrapping my head around making my own bumpers. I'd like to get a winch crammed in there and gain a bit of approach angle.

The rear tire sits to low under the truck so it will be relocated, I've a few different ideas in this.

Truck has 5000 km on it now, a few minor issues to get covered under the warranty (drivers heated seat doesn't work, the aluminum hood flutters at speed, etc). This is my first new vehicle and I am stoked on having a warranty :)

tweenerlj

Adventurer
Nice! I test drove one, but it wasn't in my budget, so I ended up finding this 2010 Colorado with only 29K on the clock:

1428873419-l.jpg

I look forward to following your build!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles