2015 GMC Canyon

Mykh

Outdoor Party Animal
Cannot believe I'm just seeing this. I want a new Colorado so bad I can taste it. This is awesome man keep it coming!
In the same boat, been scouring these boards for someone with a new Colorado for some sort of review, and it seems no one has it. I never see them on the road in town either, yet GM is apparently selling out like crazy

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Gatordoc

Adventurer
Thanks, I work in IT so getting software usually isn't the issue. My understanding (or lack of) is that some applications are more intuitive than others? Less features = easier to learn with?

Are you looking to do 2d drawings, or 3d models? Are you planning on using the drawings for your own reference, or to have someone make something for you from the drawing?

As far as software goes, AutoCAD has been the default 2d software for years and is not terribly complicated to learn the basics. An alternative that has almost the same basic functionality is DraftSight, which is published by the same company that makes SolidWorks, and is FREE!

For 3d modeling SolidWorks is the way to go, but it doesn't come cheap. It's also going to be far less intuitive to learn and get good at. MUCH more powerful than any 2d software, though. As far as free 3d software goes, the only one I know of is Sketchup, but there might be others out there. I don't personally like sketchup, but that may be due to my familiarity with SolidWorks. Autodesk inventor is another that you could look into - its similar to solidworks in that it's professional grade kit, but i don't like it as well. YMMV.

For learning it, hit up youtube and watch all the tutorials you can stand. Trolling the local college used book store, or maybe craigslist, would be a good place to pick up a newly-out-of-date textbook for last year's software pretty cheap. Even new "Intro to _______" books run less that $100 and rarely do things change so much from year to year that it would make the old book truly obsolete.

deadly99

Explorer
Thanks for the info

Finished the install of the RTT

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

I have Friday off work, aiming to get the body lift done, light bar installed in the grill and the shocks swapped out for the Icons.

I hired a fellow to build me some sliders, he is making them this week. Saturday we will do a final fitment (need body lift installed) then send them off to get powder coated.

Truck is slowly starting to take shape.

23, 000 km on the odo.

deadly99

Explorer
Added a 30 inch light bar into the grill. Darned impressive at night, I had thought the high beams were amazing until I turned this on at night.

5.jpg

Added a 1.25 inch body lift. Partly to alleviate the last little bit of tire rub on the inside of the front fender and partly to give it a preferred stance.

Front bumper has a 1000 nuts and bolts to remove it so what should have been an easy job turned into several hours

1.jpg

3.jpg

Sliders made and measured. Welded after these photos and on their way to a powder coater.

1.jpg

3.jpg

7.jpg

5.jpg

Give how new this truck and the intended years I hope to drive it I am going with a bolt on approach (as opposed to welded on) so I can have them refinished in x years. A bit tricky on the drivers side with the e brake wires running along the frame.

Bumpers....I am torn between a tubular and a more solid one. Waiting to make up my mind before they get made, likely in the next month or three. Also need to buy a winch prior to a front bumper so it can be fabricated properly to accommodate the mounts, size, etc. I'll add the ADD light bar mounts and a 42 inch light bar to the roof at the same time the front bumper gets installed (no doubt this part of the build will freak the wife out :ylsmoke: ).

Still haven't got the shocks installed, hopefully this week. Moving houses in 2 weeks so the build will be put on hold for a month in order to get settled in, etc.

24, 000 km on the odo

deadly99

Explorer
One freaking piece?

No not really, the grill is separate. It attached with fasteners...so it was easier to take it off as one piece. Also the chrome "skid" part comes off as well as do the fog lights and housing. Having them all connected does make it easier to take apart and each piece could be replaced if needed.

brushogger

Explorer
Great build man!! I hope you get to do the TCAT sooner than later. That's on my list too, but about 5 years out. We did the CDT a couple of years ago. That was a great trip, but just a little over 1/4 the length of the TCAT. We explored the Canadian Rockies this summer and fell in love with Canada. We will definitely be spending a lot of time there!

deadly99

Explorer
Great build man!! I hope you get to do the TCAT sooner than later. That's on my list too, but about 5 years out. We did the CDT a couple of years ago. That was a great trip, but just a little over 1/4 the length of the TCAT. We explored the Canadian Rockies this summer and fell in love with Canada. We will definitely be spending a lot of time there!

First beer is on me if your around my neck of the woods :beer:

deadly99

Explorer
New lightbar is great, makes the high beams look like candles

1.jpg

Sliders installed

4.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

Been on a few trail rides, next weekend in a 2 day navigational rally. Other than that using the truck every day, no complaints to report. Just shy of 27 k on the odometer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles