2015 ford F150 crew cab, short bed

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Looking to see some setups for bed storage.

We do a lot of construction using ply, 2x4's, etc, but also need grocery-getter type storage when the cab is full of our ********'lins.

Looking at getting a bed extender, foldable tonneau cover, and headache rack, but open to seeing other solutions...

Thanks!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
For our everyday setup in our 2003 F150, I have the action/leer cap, i am putting a slide in the bed for loading and un loading (this has to be fairly quickly removable as we are going to get a lance 650 soon), a bed rug to replace the well beaten bed liner, and we are also putting in the pull down/out shelf in the top of the cap. We are tying this all together with the roof rack on the cap as well to carry canoes, kayaks, paddleboards etc when going camping. All of these can be setup in the new versions as well.

Great job on buying probably the best all around truck on the market. The only issue I have with the new ones are they are so damn low.....LIKE CAR LOW! I park my 2003 next to a new fx4 and it looks like I have 4" lift on mine. ha ha. thats easily fixed however.

adrstout

Adventurer
I think your best bet is a tonneau cover for dry storage unless you need a lot of it and then a camper shell is your best bet though they are a pain to remove if you need an open bed. You could also use a cargo dry bag if you aren't worried about security.

Great job on buying probably the best all around truck on the market. The only issue I have with the new ones are they are so damn low.....LIKE CAR LOW! I park my 2003 next to a new fx4 and it looks like I have 4" lift on mine. ha ha. thats easily fixed however.

The front ends do sit low stock especially with the air deflector. I just leveled mine and it made a world of difference.

kojackJKU

yeah, Mine is bone stock without even a torsion crank. On my 2008 when I had it, I had to put on a 3" level up front and 1.5" on the rear to even make it through places I go off roading/hunting/camping....my 2003 makes it through stock. I wish they would make trucks, trucks again tho instead of cars with cargo beds.

adrstout

Adventurer
yeah, Mine is bone stock without even a torsion crank. On my 2008 when I had it, I had to put on a 3" level up front and 1.5" on the rear to even make it through places I go off roading/hunting/camping....my 2003 makes it through stock. I wish they would make trucks, trucks again tho instead of cars with cargo beds.

I was wanting to find some comparison between the new model year and older gens but I couldn't seem to find reliable ground clearance or approach/breakover/departure angle for your 2003. The only #s I could find for ground clearance I didn't really trust but they were lower than the new ones like mine. My guess that has to do (at least partially) with stock tire size. I'd be interested in a well done comparison including things like bumper heights, etc.

p nut

butter
Hey, congrats on the new truck, bigD. Didn't know you made the jump from the old Trooper.
_
I have mine set up with a tonneau cover from Bakflip (tri fold). It's been a good solution, as I haul oblong shaped cargo every now and then. It comes off easy enough if I need access to the whole bed. I thought about a shell, but it would be a pain to take off, even if it's just a few times a year. Fortunately, the cargo space under the tonneau is adequate for 99% of my stuff.
_
Doing it over again, however, I would opt for a Extang Solid Fold. One thing I hate about the Bakflip is the railing on the side (attaches to the bed), which is prone to damage when hauling cargo with the cover open. The Extang seems to be a better solution, as it's easier to install/remove, has no railing, and is cheaper. It doesn't sit as flush as the Bakflip, but who cares?
_
Good luck with the build.

kojackJKU

I had the extang tri fold on my 2008. Worked great. I think if I never had the cap I would use another. But the cap is so damn awesome.

These are whats going inside ours for cargo organization.

hqdefault.jpg

The top storage solution.

hqdefault.jpg

and the roof setup

pick-up-truck-canopy-trailer-roof-cargo-rack-kit-1165mm-w-x-1358mm-l-front-runner-slimline-ii-KRCA005T-6.jpg

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Hey, congrats on the new truck, bigD. Didn't know you made the jump from the old Trooper.
_
I have mine set up with a tonneau cover from Bakflip (tri fold). It's been a good solution, as I haul oblong shaped cargo every now and then. It comes off easy enough if I need access to the whole bed. I thought about a shell, but it would be a pain to take off, even if it's just a few times a year. Fortunately, the cargo space under the tonneau is adequate for 99% of my stuff.
_
Doing it over again, however, I would opt for a Extang Solid Fold. One thing I hate about the Bakflip is the railing on the side (attaches to the bed), which is prone to damage when hauling cargo with the cover open. The Extang seems to be a better solution, as it's easier to install/remove, has no railing, and is cheaper. It doesn't sit as flush as the Bakflip, but who cares?
_
Good luck with the build.

Thanks for the congrats. It's a freakin' awesome rig so far. just made our first home depot run yesterday. I don't know why we waited so long seeing how I do all the construction for my wife's theatre program..haha.

Still actually have the trooper - this was a replacement for my wife's aging van.

The trooper dropped 1-2 gear, and is actually in the process of being replaced as well. Probably going to sign papers tonight/tomorrow on a new "me" rig. Mrs. Bigdaddy will be at the helm of the Ford, mostly. (Figure she deserves it since she has to deal with our 3 crazy girls by herself in the morning...haha.)

p nut

butter
I've only got 2 kids (for now), but the best thing about the F150 is the huge back seat. Slightly bigger than the Tundra Crewmax, I believe. Kids love it.
_
Sucks about the Trooper, but excited to hear about this mystery rig you've got now.... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz