2015 f150 transmission issues?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
2015 F150 5.0L with 6 speed. My wrench light keeps coming on and a fan will kick in and the gear lights on the dash all flicker. Seems to downshift while accelerating or while on cruise on the highway? Any ideas what this could be?

The light goes out after a few seconds and everything returns to normal. Called the dealer and they said the light has to be on to diagnose. Will be tough to do if the light goes out after 5 seconds. It started after I pulled my trailer down a muddy road. Thinking maybe a sensor got dirty? I took it to a drive through wash with an undercarriage spray today to see if that does anything.

Being a 6R80 transmission there only one large connector for the harness. Easy to get to on passenger side. It could be dirty contacts or the lead frame that holds all the sensors in the transmission is intermittent.

Invest in a USB to OBD connector and some software diagnosis it yourself. Even though the fault resets itself the computer does retain a list of previous fault. Find another dealer. He is just telling you that because intermittent faults are the hardest to work on and he doesn't want to mess with it. Also if you stop by any large chain auto parts store they will read the faults for free.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Being a 6R80 transmission there only one large connector for the harness. Easy to get to on passenger side. It could be dirty contacts or the lead frame that holds all the sensors in the transmission is intermittent.

Invest in a USB to OBD connector and some software diagnosis it yourself. Even though the fault resets itself the computer does retain a list of previous fault. Find another dealer. He is just telling you that because intermittent faults are the hardest to work on and he doesn't want to mess with it. Also if you stop by any large chain auto parts store they will read the faults for free.
Oh boy. I actually had two separate dealers tell me that. That's lovely that two local Ford dealers don't want to work on it.

jonathon

ODB Link MX+ and their software will allow you to capture freeze frame data. They claim to work with Ford diagnostics. That might let you see what the PCM is seeing at least.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Dealer says it's the frame lead connector. $1,250. Damn it. I looked it up, the symptoms and the part match a recall Ford did to 1.3 million 2011-2013 F150's with the same transmission I have. Sounds like maybe Ford never corrected the leadframe issue on the 2015 transmission?

Grassland

What is the frame lead connector, and what/how does it fail?
I have a 14 6R80 so maybe should also be concerned now.
Thought they were a good transmission

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
What is the frame lead connector, and what/how does it fail?
I have a 14 6R80 so maybe should also be concerned now.
Thought they were a good transmission

I am having the same issue described below. But, as my truck is a 2015 it does not qualify for the recall.

Oh. And I'm being told the part is currently out of stock in the USA. No eta on when the part will be available. So, it could be days, weeks or months.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
How has that truck been? I am in the market for a lightly used F150 4x4 with a 5.0. Not sure if I should get a 10 speed which I think is 2018 or newer.
Honestly, I've put about 115,000 kms / 70,000 miles on the truck over the past 3.5 years and this is really the first time it's given me grief.

I *think* the 10 speed started in 2017 with the EcoBoost and 2018 for 5.0? Not sure. No experience with that transmission.

D

Deleted member 9101

How has that truck been? I am in the market for a lightly used F150 4x4 with a 5.0. Not sure if I should get a 10 speed which I think is 2018 or newer.

The 10 speed is great once you get use to it and once it gets use to how you drive. It can be a bit jerky until it "learns." Ford has a software update that will help with it.

Strength wise, the 10 speed is a beast. You'll never make enough power or abuse it enough to break it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior