2015 F-150 Adventure Rig

Mfitz

Hot damn, that's great news! What suspension are you running? Any trimming necessary to fit them? Photos? Thanks!
I put Bilsteins on all the way around with 1" level in the front. The only time I have any rubbing is when I am at full lock, reverse, and an odd angle (not level ground), and it only happens once in a while. I didn't do any trimming in the spare tire bay.IMG_0160.JPG

Rippin'AV

Adventurer
That's a fantastic looking setup brother! Great pictures and thanks for sharing. Looking forward to someday seeing some of those camp spots with my family. Still (slowly) building my F150 camper setup and trying to find the time to get out and enjoy it. Thinking of doing a long trip out to Utah in April 2020. Hopefully its not too busy that time of year. But your pics have really inspired me to get the trip planned out! Cheers, AV

Rippin'AV

Adventurer
PS: I have front Rancho 2.75" lift with rear add-a-leaf (1.5" lift) and have 295/70/18 Terra Grapplers and just love the stance and setup. Slight rake since I tow a trailer and want it level WITH the camping gear and trailer attached. The Rancho's are so smooth and completely transformed the truck on and off-road.

BretEdge

Adventurer
That's a fantastic looking setup brother! Great pictures and thanks for sharing. Looking forward to someday seeing some of those camp spots with my family. Still (slowly) building my F150 camper setup and trying to find the time to get out and enjoy it. Thinking of doing a long trip out to Utah in April 2020. Hopefully its not too busy that time of year. But your pics have really inspired me to get the trip planned out! Cheers, AV

That's awesome! April is actually the single busiest month of the year in Moab. Holler at me when you head this way. Happy to share beta on sweet campsites, best places to eat, things to do, etc.

Rippin'AV

Adventurer
That's awesome! April is actually the single busiest month of the year in Moab. Holler at me when you head this way. Happy to share beta on sweet campsites, best places to eat, things to do, etc.
Thanks man! It looks like we’ll head out from CA straight to Moab and then slowly work our way back west through UT and see as many National Parks as we can. Would love some insider tips if you’ve got them. Cheers

phsycle

Adventurer
Thanks man! It looks like we’ll head out from CA straight to Moab and then slowly work our way back west through UT and see as many National Parks as we can. Would love some insider tips if you’ve got them. Cheers

Avoid Moab on Easter weekend. Easter Jeep Safari gets a little crazy.

Rippin'AV

Adventurer
Avoid Moab on Easter weekend. Easter Jeep Safari gets a little crazy.
Oh no! I didn't even think about that...unfortunately the only time I have off to go. Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry for the thread derail OP!

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming...lol

BretEdge

Adventurer
Over Christmas we spent two weeks hiking, mountain biking and camping around Phoenix. The first two days were amazing, the next 4 1/2 were non-stop rain and the remaining time was a mixed bag. Still, we managed to do some great, long rides and a couple fun hikes, all the while camping in stellar locations all around the Sonoran Desert - but mostly in the Supes.

We rode South Mountain, Brown's Ranch, McDowell's and White Tanks and did two hikes on opposite sides of the Superstitions. Toward the end of the trip my son and I were walking our wolf-pug (he's full pug but I swear sometimes he thinks he's a wolf) when ahead of us I caught a quick glimpse of eye shine. We stopped, shined our lights toward the chupacabra and it blinked but continued to stare directly at us. I've got well over 30 years experience hiking, backpacking and mountain biking throughout the West. The eyes faced forward and sat at a height consistent with that of a mountain lion so, ya know, do the math. We quickly turned around and spent the next 7 hours walking 150 yards back to the camper. Okay, so it was only a few minutes but it felt longer. Luckily, we made it back safely and I didn't even have to use my AK. Also, I don't actually travel with an AK.

Next up: definitely headed to St. George area toward the end of March. Might go in February, too. It's been gray, cold and snowy/rainy/foggy/************ in Moab for too long and we're getting antsy. We'll be resolving the rear end suspension issue soon, too. Air bags just aren't enough so we're throwing in an add-a-leaf for now.

Here are a select few photos for your enjoyment.

Attachments

• Fiery Sunrise Sky Above Overlanding Campsite in Superstition Mountains.jpg
    Fiery Sunrise Sky Above Overlanding Campsite in Superstition Mountains.jpg
    720.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Mountain Biker Dropping Into Steep Granite Slab at Brown's Ranch.jpg
    Mountain Biker Dropping Into Steep Granite Slab at Brown's Ranch.jpg
    601.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Starry Sky and Overlanding Campsite in Superstition Mountains III.jpg
    Starry Sky and Overlanding Campsite in Superstition Mountains III.jpg
    533.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Weaver's Needle Framed by Rocky Outcropping at Sunset.jpg
    Weaver's Needle Framed by Rocky Outcropping at Sunset.jpg
    955.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Young Mountain Biker Hucking Ledge on Long Loop at McDowell Mountains.jpg
    Young Mountain Biker Hucking Ledge on Long Loop at McDowell Mountains.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
  • Pastel Sunrise Sky Over Superstition Mountains Overlanding Campsite.jpg
    Pastel Sunrise Sky Over Superstition Mountains Overlanding Campsite.jpg
    689.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Stormy Sky Above Vehicle Campiste at Lost Dutchman State Park.jpg
    Stormy Sky Above Vehicle Campiste at Lost Dutchman State Park.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
  • Mountain Biker Negotiating Tight Squeeze at Browns Ranch-Edit.jpg
    Mountain Biker Negotiating Tight Squeeze at Browns Ranch-Edit.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 73
  • Bret Hucking DC.jpg
    Bret Hucking DC.jpg
    844.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Ford F150 Climbing Out of Wash on Dirt Road in Superstition Mountains.jpg
    Ford F150 Climbing Out of Wash on Dirt Road in Superstition Mountains.jpg
    808.7 KB · Views: 81

BretEdge

Adventurer
I finally made the rear suspension upgrade I've been threatening. I purchased a set of Auto Spring add-a-leafs from Stage 3 Motorsports and had them installed locally at Grand Tire in Moab. The AAL's are claimed to add 1.5" of rear lift after settling and up to 950 lbs. carrying capacity, which was essential as the stock leaf pack and Air Lift airbags I installed prior to putting the camper in the bed just weren't handling the added weight. The truck was squatting enough that my headlights weren't aimed down the road and the rear suspension was bottoming out from time to time.

With the AAL's installed the truck sits with a very slight rake (with the camper empty), so it should be level fully loaded - and that's with the airbags at only 50%. I've also noticed that the ride is much more balanced now. The rear was much softer than the front and it led to some weird driving dynamics. At this point they feel damn near even and the handling is much more predictable.

I haven't had it off-road yet and don't have another trip planned until mid-March but I'm sure we'll get out into the desert around Moab at some point in the near future. No photos of the new setup because there really isn't anything to see but thus far, I'm very satisfied with this solution. All in, it was less than $400 to purchase and install the AAL's. I'll keep y'all posted as I develop any other impressions of the new setup.

BretEdge

Adventurer
Yesterday we made a break for it and spent the night at a sweet campsite above Long Canyon outside Moab. It was windy, which is to be expected during spring in Moab, but not so bad that we couldn't spend some time outside enjoying the late afternoon light. We explored the canyon rim, looked for bighorn sheep (didn't find any) and enjoyed the peace and quiet of this weird, weird time that would normally be crawling with tourists. First time we've been camping since early January but now that the weather's getting better we'll be out nearly every weekend, at least until we get completely locked down. Hope you're all staying safe, sane and healthy.

Also, if you're stuck teleconferencing these days, I made a few Zoom virtual backgrounds and posted them to my website for people to download for free. Felt like a little something I could easily do to potentially bring a little light into our current situation. Click here > Free Zoom Virtual Backgrounds by Bret Edge

Attachments

• Ford F150 and Four Wheel Campers Raven at Long Canyon Campsite.jpg
    Ford F150 and Four Wheel Campers Raven at Long Canyon Campsite.jpg
    855 KB · Views: 49
  • Juniper Snag Framing Overlanding Campsite and Moon at Sunset-Edit.jpg
    Juniper Snag Framing Overlanding Campsite and Moon at Sunset-Edit.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Mother and Son Enjoying Late Afternoon at Overlanding Campsite.jpg
    Mother and Son Enjoying Late Afternoon at Overlanding Campsite.jpg
    723.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Juniper Snag Framing Ford F150 and La Sal Mountains at Overlanding Campsite Above Long Canyon-...jpg
    Juniper Snag Framing Ford F150 and La Sal Mountains at Overlanding Campsite Above Long Canyon-...jpg
    576.5 KB · Views: 53

BretEdge

Adventurer
On Sunday we went for a hike to Jeep Arch in Dragonfly Canyon, which was really beautiful and quiet. After that we drove down Potash to Thelma and Louise point. I'm discovering that the ride is much smoother at higher speeds which is great except that I'm not sure I want to subject the FWC to those speeds on a consistent basis. Fun day out and about in Moab!

Attachments

• Ford F150 at Canyon Overlook.jpg
    Ford F150 at Canyon Overlook.jpg
    869 KB · Views: 57
  • Ford F150 on Potash Road.jpg
    Ford F150 on Potash Road.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Hiker Traversing Ledge Below Jeep Arch-Edit.jpg
    Hiker Traversing Ledge Below Jeep Arch-Edit.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 51

BAM298

Love the setup. I’ve got a nearly identical one (grandby shell in 6.5ft crew cab f150) and have considered the AAL’s, glad to hear it was worth it for you as it helps my decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles