Have rebuilt front end
Motor and transmission
Have been good

I hope it lasts another two weeks
As we are a Atlantic Ferry to
Newfoundland then the trans Labrador
Home.

bglenden

I've spent way too much time looking for sliders and I've found...one set. They're made by Smittybilt and even though they're bolt on (so the ones on my FJ and they took all kinds of abuse), they're supposed to be real, honest to God sliders. I wanted some that could also be used as a side step, too. Here's a link: Smittybilt M1 Rock Sliders

Thanks a lot! (Alas, I have a super cab and they only seem to come in super crew).

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I've spent way too much time looking for sliders and I've found...one set. They're made by Smittybilt and even though they're bolt on (so the ones on my FJ and they took all kinds of abuse), they're supposed to be real, honest to God sliders. I wanted some that could also be used as a side step, too. Here's a link: Smittybilt M1 Rock Sliders

The two mounting points don’t give me a lot of confidence with those sliders. For a heavy truck, I’d want 3 or 4.

I’m quite surprised there are hardly any options given how popular the F-150 is.

BretEdge

Adventurer
The two mounting points don’t give me a lot of confidence with those sliders. For a heavy truck, I’d want 3 or 4.

I’m quite surprised there are hardly any options given how popular the F-150 is.

Agreed. Where do you see that there are only two mounting points?

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Based on the few videos and pictures on the internet, you can see that there are two skeletonized boxed brackets per side that bolt the rails to the frame.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Gotcha. Thanks for catching that. Might be back to the drawing board. Ugh!

It’s a better setup than most side steps that use the factory mounts on the rocker sheet metal. RPG Offroad makes some for the Raptor that might work, but they are ridiculously expensive. I’ve had White Knuckle Offroad build me sliders in the past without the mounting arms. Not too hard to have some tubing cut to then mount to the frame.

I’d think that a local fabrication shop could easily knock some out for you at a comparable cost.

jbaucom

I don't know how they'd work as true sliders, but I really liked the Go Rhino Dominator D6 steps that I put on my GMC Sierra after I bent the original running boards. The D6 steps weigh about 100 pounds. On a crew cab, they have 3 or 4 brackets, and the brackets don't hang down below the tubing, so they're flat underneath with no protrusions to hang on anything.

They seemed like the best off-the-shelf option for my GMC when I had them installed last year.

Rippin'AV

Adventurer
Those sliders look awesome, I've been searching for a while to find any decent sliders that aren't crazy expensive. Thanks for the link, will need to take a closer look.

Rippin'AV

Adventurer
Sorry, one more thing...what King coilovers did you get? Do you have a link to them or part number? I'm not happy with how my front suspension binds and clunks during heavy off-roading with my 2" spacer setup. Don't need much more than 2,5" to clear my 33's so maybe the answer I've been looking for are the King.

BretEdge

Adventurer
Sorry, one more thing...what King coilovers did you get? Do you have a link to them or part number? I'm not happy with how my front suspension binds and clunks during heavy off-roading with my 2" spacer setup. Don't need much more than 2,5" to clear my 33's so maybe the answer I've been looking for are the King.

I don't, but I bought them directly from King. Give 'em a call and tell them what you're driving. They'll make sure they get you the right setup. I bought the coilovers w/ compression adjusters. I also installed Icon Delta Joint UCA's. I'm not getting any binding or clunking at all on or off road.

JSimmons

Casual Observer
This looks like a great build you’ve got going here. I’m a fellow F-150 owner (2014 FX4 SCREW) and I’m glad I found your thread as I’m trying to get back into “overlanding” or just having a more capable than stock rig for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking as you stated in your first posting.

Thank you for documenting your build and I look forward to seeing your progress (and your photography)!

BretEdge

Adventurer
It's been a minute since I updated the thread. Ankle/foot surgery three weeks ago and I haven't been able to do much. BUT...got the air bags installed last Friday so thought I'd share the latest news on this build.

I went with Airlift 59570 airbags and a 25980 air compressor with Bluetooth remote. The compressor was installed in a cavity above the spare tire to better protect it from rocks, muck and other stuff that might be intent on damaging it. Posted a few photos of one of the installed airbags and the remote - definitely not exciting stuff but a necessary part of the build.

Next Friday we'll be in Jackson, WY picking up our new Four Wheel Camper Raven! We're planning to camp somewhere around the Tetons on Friday night and then start working our way back home. We've got to be back at work on Monday so it'll be a rushed trip but I hope to get some good photos of the truck and camper in scenic locations Friday and Saturday night. I'll be sure to post those here. I'm also planning to do a photo dump of the interior and exterior of the camper, and maybe a video walk-through.

We've got several trips planned over the next few months so there'll be plenty of trip photos in the near future. A couple quick weekend shakedown trips around our area, then Red Bull Rampage, Thanksgiving in Arizona for 9 days and then a couple weeks in California over Christmas. Hope y'all are ready for the onslaught of photos and trip reports!

Attachments

• airbag 1.jpg
    airbag 1.jpg
    497.8 KB · Views: 108
  • airbag 2.jpg
    airbag 2.jpg
    547.7 KB · Views: 112
  • airbag remote.jpg
    airbag remote.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 104

Forum statistics

Threads