2015 F-150 Adventure Rig

BretEdge

Adventurer
Love the setup. I’ve got a nearly identical one (grandby shell in 6.5ft crew cab f150) and have considered the AAL’s, glad to hear it was worth it for you as it helps my decision.

The AAL's were a significant improvement. Really didn't change the ride quality at all but gave me the extra lift in the rear to level it out. For such a cheap upgrade, there's almost no reason to not do it.

D

Deleted member 9101

The AAL's were a significant improvement. Really didn't change the ride quality at all but gave me the extra lift in the rear to level it out. For such a cheap upgrade, there's almost no reason to not do it.

I have had them on a few trucks over the years and they worked well for what they were and you can't beat the price.

For me, air bags are going to be my choice. Since the bed of my truck is usually empty and when I need the extra capacity it's for towing I think they will work out well.

BretEdge

Adventurer
Last weekend we "escaped" Moab by camping and mountain biking in the area around Dead Horse Point and Canyonlands. Friday night we paid for a site at DHP, which had an electric hook-up and rode all of the Intrepid trails with outstanding views into Shafer Canyon. On Saturday we did a big loop on the Mag 7 trails, bombing down Bull Run for the finale. Bull Run is at the very top of my list of favorite trails in this area as it's fast, techy and chunky with a few fun climbs to keep things spicy. That night we found a beautiful campsite overlooking Monitor and Merrimac Buttes. A storm rolled in just before sunset and we were treated to lightning, thunder and about an hour and a half of rain. The next morning, all the potholes were filled with rainwater and they created some interesting opportunities for photography. On Sunday we paid a quick visit to some pictographs off one of the many dirt roads that lead out into the desert.

Headed back out for another couple of nights this weekend. More riding, more camping and more good times!

Attachments

• IMG_7051.jpg
    IMG_7051.jpg
    818.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7074.jpg
    IMG_7074.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7152.jpg
    IMG_7152.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8572.jpg
    IMG_8572.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • Mountain Biker Descending Bull Run Past Blooming Indian Paintbrush Wildflowers.jpg
    Mountain Biker Descending Bull Run Past Blooming Indian Paintbrush Wildflowers.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Mountain Biker Descending Slickrock Section of Bull Run Trail.jpg
    Mountain Biker Descending Slickrock Section of Bull Run Trail.jpg
    582.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Storm Looming Above Overlanding Campsite in Moab.jpg
    Storm Looming Above Overlanding Campsite in Moab.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Stormy Skies Over Monitor and Merrimac Buttes and Overlanding Campsite near Moab.jpg
    Stormy Skies Over Monitor and Merrimac Buttes and Overlanding Campsite near Moab.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 69
  • Woman Enjoying Coffee and Pug Kisses at Overlanding Campsite-Edit.jpg
    Woman Enjoying Coffee and Pug Kisses at Overlanding Campsite-Edit.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Woman Napping in Chair at Campsite-Edit.jpg
    Woman Napping in Chair at Campsite-Edit.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 64

BretEdge

Adventurer
We've been out and about in Moab the last few weekends, camping, hiking and mountain biking. We discovered some awesome campsites and took the truck on some of the most challenging roads yet. It's performed flawlessly through it all. We love the Four Wheel Camper and now have somewhere around 43 nights in it. Our only issue with it is size - it's too small. We're already planning the next rig that we'll most likely get started on next year and will have significantly more storage capacity and living space while giving up very little in off-road performance, if any.

Thought y'all might enjoy a few photos from the recent adventures. Heading back out again tomorrow to do a big ride one day and spend the next day hiking into a slot canyon with a perennial waterfall.

Attachments

• Mountain Biker Blasting Corner on Mustang Loop.jpg
    Mountain Biker Blasting Corner on Mustang Loop.jpg
    936.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Cliffside Campsite Near Moab.jpg
    Cliffside Campsite Near Moab.jpg
    827.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Sunset Light on Overlanding Campsite Above Canyon-Edit.jpg
    Sunset Light on Overlanding Campsite Above Canyon-Edit.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
  • Mountain Bikers Hucking Drop on the Mustang Loop.jpg
    Mountain Bikers Hucking Drop on the Mustang Loop.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
  • Ford F150 and Four Wheel Camper Squeezing Between Trees on Off-Camber 4x4 Trail-Edit.jpg
    Ford F150 and Four Wheel Camper Squeezing Between Trees on Off-Camber 4x4 Trail-Edit.jpg
    856.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Sunset View of Shafer Canyon-Edit.jpg
    Sunset View of Shafer Canyon-Edit.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 54
  • Twisted Juniper Tree and Dramatic Sky Above Overlanding Campsite near Moab-Edit.jpg
    Twisted Juniper Tree and Dramatic Sky Above Overlanding Campsite near Moab-Edit.jpg
    633.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Camper Enjoying Breakfast With a View-2.jpg
    Camper Enjoying Breakfast With a View-2.jpg
    971.8 KB · Views: 50

BretEdge

Adventurer
We've been out and about a lot over the last few weekends. All over Moab, two trips to Thunder Mountain and a trip to the San Juans. Leaving on Wednesday for 32 days through Idaho, Washington and Oregon. The truck's running great, camper's awesome. Had to install a new battery yesterday while having some regular maintenance done but at 101,000 miles, Betty's going strong. I'm officially done with this build. I had plans for a few other modifications but have decided not to move forward as we've decided to go bigger in the near future. Next rig will be a Super Duty on 37's with a flatbed and an as yet to be determined flatbed camper - either FWC or Overland Explorer. That will be the final rig and will be heavily modified. For now, we're loving this setup and will continue to put her to good use. Will post it here when it's time to sell the whole she-bang.

Attachments

• Ford F150 Departing Overland Campsite Below San Juan Mountain Peaks-Edit.jpg
    Ford F150 Departing Overland Campsite Below San Juan Mountain Peaks-Edit.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • Overlanding Campsite Along Bank of Lime Creek-Edit.jpg
    Overlanding Campsite Along Bank of Lime Creek-Edit.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
  • Muddy Puddle Awaiting Ford F150 Leaving Campsite on Old Lime Creek Road.jpg
    Muddy Puddle Awaiting Ford F150 Leaving Campsite on Old Lime Creek Road.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • Ford F150 at Hilltop Campsite in Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.jpg
    Ford F150 at Hilltop Campsite in Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.jpg
    978.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Storm Light at Sunset Above Overlanding Campsite in Red Canyon.jpg
    Storm Light at Sunset Above Overlanding Campsite in Red Canyon.jpg
    660.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Colorful Sunset Sky Above Overlanding Campsite near Red Canyon II-Edit.jpg
    Colorful Sunset Sky Above Overlanding Campsite near Red Canyon II-Edit.jpg
    590.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Overland Campsite in Miners Basin.jpg
    Overland Campsite in Miners Basin.jpg
    922.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Sunset at Overlanding Campsite Above Onion Creek-Edit.jpg
    Sunset at Overlanding Campsite Above Onion Creek-Edit.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 38
  • Sunrise on Navajo Rocks Campsite-Edit.jpg
    Sunrise on Navajo Rocks Campsite-Edit.jpg
    779.6 KB · Views: 38

cozmo2312

Observer
Duuuude... as a fellow Utahan that just picked up an F-150, I’m loving this thread. I’ve also been a long time follower of you on IG, and knew there would be epic pics inside... you didn’t disappoint! Awesome stuff Bret!

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
Next rig will be a Super Duty on 37's with a flatbed and an as yet to be determined flatbed camper - either FWC or Overland Explorer. That will be the final rig and will be heavily modified. For now, we're loving this setup and will continue to put her to good use. Will post it here when it's time to sell the whole she-bang.

Moving to a Super Duty is a wise choice, IMO. Do you know if you'll go with the 6.7 or 7.3? We are planning on doing a similar thing in a couple of years, will be the 7.3 Tremor package with Overland Explorer, not sure if flat bed or not yet though.

Not that my input really matters, but from what I have seen FWC doesn't really hold a candle to the Overland Explorer campers in terms of materials and components used in their builds. Not that I think FWC makes bad product, just that Overland Explorer makes better product.

BretEdge

Adventurer
Moving to a Super Duty is a wise choice, IMO. Do you know if you'll go with the 6.7 or 7.3? We are planning on doing a similar thing in a couple of years, will be the 7.3 Tremor package with Overland Explorer, not sure if flat bed or not yet though.

Not that my input really matters, but from what I have seen FWC doesn't really hold a candle to the Overland Explorer campers in terms of materials and components used in their builds. Not that I think FWC makes bad product, just that Overland Explorer makes better product.

Originally I was going to do a gas motor but after spending countless hours doing research and talking to people whose opinions I value, I've decided to go with a diesel. The truck will be a 2017 or newer - ideally a lightly used 2020. Two main reasons for the diesel: longevity, as this will be the last truck I ever buy (it's our retirement rig) and improved fuel economy. I was tempted by the gas motor because it's simple; no turbos, no DEF, etc. but in the long run, for a vehicle I'll have for 20 years, the diesel makes more sense.

I've not seen an Overland Explorer camper in person yet but they look pretty burly. I've been in communication with them about the new flatbed model and I like that the flatbed and the camper are made for one another, as well as the R value of the camper, the mounting system and some of the features. I prefer the look of the FWC's and we love our Raven, but I'm certainly not a loyalist. Bit of a coin toss at this point but we've got some time to make decisions. I've asked them to let me know if they get to Moab w/ the flatbed prototype so I can get eyeballs on it.

BretEdge

Adventurer
Duuuude... as a fellow Utahan that just picked up an F-150, I’m loving this thread. I’ve also been a long time follower of you on IG, and knew there would be epic pics inside... you didn’t disappoint! Awesome stuff Bret!

Thanks, man! I really appreciate the compliment. Holler if you make it to Moab. Always down to meet cool people.

BretEdge

Adventurer
Been a while since I posted so thought I'd share some photos from our summer adventures. We took a 32 day road trip through the Pacific Northwest on which we mountain biked, hiked and camped in Oregon, Washington and Idaho. Still trying to edit and process all the photos. The camper was flawless. The truck...well, we had one minor issue in Washington and found an absolutely stellar mechanic named Adrian at Precision Auto Works in Arlington, WA who took care of us as if we were family. I can't say enough good things about him and his shop. Any way, we spent a grand total of $45 on lodging during the trip, which accounts for 3 forest service campsites we snagged after long days in the saddle when we were just too tired to explore dirt roads looking for a site.

We've also spent a few weekends in Colorado and took a quick trip to Big Sky and Grand Targhee, plus random weekends here in Moab. We're home this weekend and will be gone for at least the next three upcoming weekends, on the hunt for fall colors and rad trails in Colorado. Headed to Arizona for 10 days over Thanksigiving and then somewhere TBD for 17 days over the holidays. We were headed to the California coast for an MTB trip but that's not looking like the best option given the devastating wildfires they're experiencing.

Currently waiting for Ford to open the order books on 2021 F250's as we'll be purchasing a Tremor for the next project.

Enjoy the photos!

Attachments

• Milky Way Above Overlanding Campsite in Sawtooth Mountains.jpg
    Milky Way Above Overlanding Campsite in Sawtooth Mountains.jpg
    658.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Overland Campsite at Medicine Lake.jpg
    Overland Campsite at Medicine Lake.jpg
    715.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Man Walking at Overlanding Campsite Below Sawtooth Mountains.jpg
    Man Walking at Overlanding Campsite Below Sawtooth Mountains.jpg
    868 KB · Views: 30
  • Overlanding Campsite Surrounded by Lupine-Edit.jpg
    Overlanding Campsite Surrounded by Lupine-Edit.jpg
    832 KB · Views: 30
  • Evening Views at Overlanding Campsite in White Cloud Mountains II.jpg
    Evening Views at Overlanding Campsite in White Cloud Mountains II.jpg
    590.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Hiker Enjoying View of Mount Regan from Shoreline of Sawtooth Lake.jpg
    Hiker Enjoying View of Mount Regan from Shoreline of Sawtooth Lake.jpg
    887.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Jackson Edge Entering Gnome Wrecker with Style.jpg
    Jackson Edge Entering Gnome Wrecker with Style.jpg
    877.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Melissa Edge Kicking Up Dust on Blondie Trail-Edit.jpg
    Melissa Edge Kicking Up Dust on Blondie Trail-Edit.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • Jackson Edge Jumps Colorful Wildflowers at Targhee Bike Park.jpg
    Jackson Edge Jumps Colorful Wildflowers at Targhee Bike Park.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Been a while since I posted so thought I'd share some photos from our summer adventures. We took a 32 day road trip through the Pacific Northwest on which we mountain biked, hiked and camped in Oregon, Washington and Idaho. Still trying to edit and process all the photos. The camper was flawless. The truck...well, we had one minor issue in Washington and found an absolutely stellar mechanic named Adrian at Precision Auto Works in Arlington, WA who took care of us as if we were family. I can't say enough good things about him and his shop. Any way, we spent a grand total of $45 on lodging during the trip, which accounts for 3 forest service campsites we snagged after long days in the saddle when we were just too tired to explore dirt roads looking for a site.

We've also spent a few weekends in Colorado and took a quick trip to Big Sky and Grand Targhee, plus random weekends here in Moab. We're home this weekend and will be gone for at least the next three upcoming weekends, on the hunt for fall colors and rad trails in Colorado. Headed to Arizona for 10 days over Thanksigiving and then somewhere TBD for 17 days over the holidays. We were headed to the California coast for an MTB trip but that's not looking like the best option given the devastating wildfires they're experiencing.

Currently waiting for Ford to open the order books on 2021 F250's as we'll be purchasing a Tremor for the next project.

Enjoy the photos!
Great pics! Yeah, I'd love a Tremor. Curious why are you waiting for the '21's? I'm sure there are deals to be had on the '20's now. Around here it's employee pricing on everything.

BretEdge

Adventurer
Great pics! Yeah, I'd love a Tremor. Curious why are you waiting for the '21's? I'm sure there are deals to be had on the '20's now. Around here it's employee pricing on everything.

I want a very specific build and am not willing to compromise on any aspect of it. Can't find one anywhere and I've had two dealers search for me. Prices on the 20's aren't all that great around here, either.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I want a very specific build and am not willing to compromise on any aspect of it. Can't find one anywhere and I've had two dealers search for me. Prices on the 20's aren't all that great around here, either.
Ah okay. I thought maybe something was changing about the 21's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94