2015 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Concept - with Diesel!

Gatordoc

Adventurer
It's been quite a long time since I saw anything out of GM that got me excited. If they build this, it would do it.
Diesel powered, F/R locked off-road oriented Colorado. Specs look pretty similar to the Alpha package of the now-dead H3, but in a pickup platform.
I like it, though to be honest as much as I like oil-burners, I'd probably not tick the box for the diesel option. With fuel prices and new emission regulations killing much of the old fuel economy advantage I just couldn't justify the extra $5k it will likely add to the price.
Here's a link to the Motor Trend story.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Sweet. Is it the journalist or a press release that doesn't want to acknowledge they are competing with Toyota Tacoma , not really Jeep Wrangler?

Sure makes me wish they were doing a 2015 Astro ZR2 HighRider. Take that a step further with an optional AstroLander ZR2 HighRider, (pop top, Westy interior, etc) could be the optimal North American overland vehicle.

Clutch

<---Pass
Sure makes me wish they were doing a 2015 Astro ZR2 HighRider. Take that a step further with an optional AstroLander ZR2 HighRider, (pop top, Westy interior, etc) could be the optimal North American overland vehicle.

Doooood!

It's been quite a long time since I saw anything out of GM that got me excited. If they build this, it would do it.
Diesel powered, F/R locked off-road oriented Colorado. Specs look pretty similar to the Alpha package of the now-dead H3, but in a pickup platform.
I like it, though to be honest as much as I like oil-burners, I'd probably not tick the box for the diesel option. With fuel prices and new emission regulations killing much of the old fuel economy advantage I just couldn't justify the extra $5k it will likely add to the price.
Here's a link to the Motor Trend story.

Makes the Tacoma look even more dated.

Probably be cheaper to buy the base model and build your own.

Diesel...all that torque sure would be nice, and diesel is cheaper than high test here during the summer months...not sure if I want to deal with the other aspects of it though.

Last edited:

jpat30

Adventurer
"Makes the Tacoma look even more dated."

Don't forget the Frontier which is also getting long in the tooth. The current generation hasn't had a major update since 05. This truck definitely looks like a winner......

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Toyota and Ford...waiting patiently for your response to this shot across your bow.

Clutch

<---Pass
"Makes the Tacoma look even more dated."

Don't forget the Frontier which is also getting long in the tooth. The current generation hasn't had a major update since 05. This truck definitely looks like a winner......

Oh yeah, always forget about those, because I tend to not look at the Nissans, the only one that interests me is the Patrol...and yeah...well...can't get 'em here.

The only thing Chevy missed was a manual trans...believe I have about given up on that...I'll take paddle shifters though...after driving a car equipped with them recently.

Last edited:

Littlehouse

Adventurer
I just hope they don't water it down...

My guess is this will lose at least the winch and front locker, but I hope i'm wrong.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
Nice looking effort from Chevy but not so sure once we get the details on the suspension (and the vehicle's intent - will it be a Raptor Jr. high-speed trail runner or a Powerwagon Jr. offroader) and the price! The price may be high enough to drive potential buyers to full-size pickups with more power, more room, more storage and more towing capacity.

And I do wonder what the current fuel prices will do to diesel engine options (I believe diesel here in SoCal is still high/higher than premium).

I hope Chevy figures out this truck's target audience and builds it to fit their/our needs.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Also interesting is that the claim that the diesel engine is a "world engine" - would that mean they will be selling it in areas which don't use USLD? Would be nice if it was possible to do an emission delete on it based on something the factory did in mexico etc. Not digging the recent diesel emissions equipment these days...

Clutch

<---Pass
Nice looking effort from Chevy but not so sure once we get the details on the suspension (and the vehicle's intent - will it be a Raptor Jr. high-speed trail runner or a Powerwagon Jr. offroader).

Looks like a mid travel trail runner to me, which would be good vehicle for the back country explorer crowd, like the audience on here. Wouldn't even put in the same category of a Raptor or a Powerwagon...those are entirely different beasts.

Would say it is direct competition with the Tacoma TRD Pro.

One other thing I can see...not liking the rear shock placement. Looks like a rock grabber to me...but over-all a good job.

donaldj

Observer
Don't get your hopes up. GM makes incredible concept vehicles of which very few ever see the production line. The ones that do reach production end up being a shallow ghost of their exciting concept counterparts.

By the time this Colorado hits the showroom, it will likely look like a jacked up Pontiac Grand Am.

Clutch

<---Pass
Don't get your hopes up. GM makes incredible concept vehicles of which very few ever see the production line. The ones that do reach production end up being a shallow ghost of their exciting concept counterparts.

By the time this Colorado hits the showroom, it will likely look like a jacked up Pontiac Grand Am.

Just build your own. Tossing on a 3" suspension system, lockers, and a winch, isn't exactly all that hard.

Aftermarket will be on top of the accessories in no time.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Nice looking effort from Chevy but not so sure once we get the details on the suspension (and the vehicle's intent - will it be a Raptor Jr. high-speed trail runner or a Powerwagon Jr. offroader) and the price! The price may be high enough to drive potential buyers to full-size pickups with more power, more room, more storage and more towing capacity.

And I do wonder what the current fuel prices will do to diesel engine options (I believe diesel here in SoCal is still high/higher than premium).

I hope Chevy figures out this truck's target audience and builds it to fit their/our needs.

Price will be a deal breaker...I bet it will be close to 40K

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne