2015/2016 New 3rd gen Tacoma Debut in Detriot

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Primary questions now are:

Is each engine available in both 2wd and 4x4, as either manual or auto?

Are all trim levels available to all cab sizes?

Power and MPG of both engines?

Price?

Clutch

<---Pass
Bed sides are little taller, plus the front bed panel is no longer lower than the sides. Better for us that like toppers.

0904mt_01_z%2B2007_toyota_tacoma_bedrug_install%2Btruck_bed.jpg

6a00d83451b3c669e201bb07d4b535970d-800wi

calicamper

Expedition Leader
THIS!!!!!!!! Will we EVER get an actual SMALLish (as in no bigger than 1st gen tacomas) 4door 4x4 P/U again? I'm really beginning to doubt it....is Ford (?!?!?!) our last hope...say it ain't so.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/ford-considering-ranger-sized-compact-pickup/

I'm living with a 07 Sequoia right now which is basically just a Tundra with a SUV body on it. For sure the size is about MAX for trail use been there done that I would not want to go bigger than the old Tundra! How EVER! every day life use around town the size is workable and not bad. I would say if the new Tacoma is close to the same size ish as the old Tundra then its still a good size but its going to be border line too wide for those really tight trails assuming they added some width.

GM take notice of the modern shifter if your going to use a center console shifter use a modern one not a 1985 Pontiac clunky shifter ;-) - Interior is sharp looking.

I don't know enough about the 4L and the 3.5L current engines. Is the 3.5L a newer design possibly ready to accomidate DI tech? Is the 4L in the 4runner DI?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Since I just put a topper on my '08 this weekend, that bed shape does seem like an improvement. Plus it looks like you can still actually use the tie-down rails after putting a topper on since there's some bed wall above it to the bed rail.

Now wonder if they've done anything to take the steering wobble out. Just starting fighting this issue on our new-to-us used truck. Hopefully being a certified pre-owned it means they'll deal with it... Apparently the steering rack has bushing issues on Tacoma? The steering wheel does the shake-and-shimmy at around 55 MPH enough that I have to fight it.

Clutch

<---Pass
Since I just put a topper on my '08 this weekend, that bed shape does seem like an improvement. Plus it looks like you can still actually use the tie-down rails after putting a topper on since there's some bed wall above it to the bed rail.

Now wonder if they've done anything to take the steering wobble out. Just starting fighting this issue on our new-to-us used truck. Hopefully being a certified pre-owned it means they'll deal with it... Apparently the steering rack has bushing issues on Tacoma? The steering wheel does the shake-and-shimmy at around 55 MPH enough that I have to fight it.

I put poly bushings on mine, it cures it. (easy to do)...mine doesn't shake or shimmy. Might have a tire out of balance. You probably already checked that, I would assume.

Anyone know what the 4 banger will be? The 2.7 still or perhaps the 2.5 out of the Rav4?

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I’ll say this for sure… the Tacoma’s interior already makes the Colorado/Canyon look silly and cheap. Hard to tell without actually sitting in the Taco but I bet it feels better than the nose first in a hole feeling you get in the Colorado. Still on the fence on the exterior styling but the interior shots and what we know of the Taco thus far sound pretty good. I think if I were to drop money on something yet this year it would still be on the 4Runner though.

That said, I don't see Toyota having a hard time keeping their crown as the number uno midside truck on the market. The Colo/Canyon don't have anything to write home about over the Taco unless of course, you're one of those must have diesel engine type guys.....although we haven't seen the new Frontier yet

Clutch

<---Pass
Some people love it, I hate it.... Why push button start?

All the cool kids are doing it....though I remember some of our heavy equipment machines and tractors were push button. Had to turn the key, then hit the button.

I kinda dig the push button

Last edited:

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I'll say this for sure&#8230; the Tacoma's interior already makes the Colorado/Canyon look silly and cheap. Hard to tell without actually sitting in the Taco but I bet it feels better than the nose first in a hole feeling you get in the Colorado. Still on the fence on the exterior styling but the interior shots and what we know of the Taco thus far sound pretty good. I think if I were to drop money on something yet this year it would still be on the 4Runner though.

That said, I don't see Toyota having a hard time keeping their crown as the number uno midside truck on the market. The Colo/Canyon don't have anything to write home about over the Taco unless of course, you're one of those must have diesel engine type guys.....although we haven't seen the new Frontier yet

If the frontier looks anything like the Titan then there is zero competition. I agree with you on the T4R part. I've wanted a T4R for a while but have been waiting for the new Taco to come out to compare them. The T4R TE Premium I test drove was very very nice I must admit. Hopefully the taco is on Par with it because I would love to keep the truck function...Only problem is the 10k difference.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
GM take notice of the modern shifter if your going to use a center console shifter use a modern one not a 1985 Pontiac clunky shifter ;-) - Interior is sharp looking.

I don't know enough about the 4L and the 3.5L current engines. Is the 3.5L a newer design possibly ready to accomidate DI tech? Is the 4L in the 4runner DI?

I agree, the Colo/Canyon shifter looks like it came from an 80's Pontiac 6000 but it does feel and look decent in person although not as nice as the Taco's looks in pictures. Yes, the 4Runner is running Direct Injection on the 4.0L. Odd that the new Taco 3.5L is said to run both port and direct injection depending on load and demand. I'm wandering if that is not a missprint where they mean cylinder deactivation?? Guess we'll see.

I have come to love the push button start after having a 2010 BMW and now the 2014 Impala. I hate electric shift garbage because it is more complicated than it needs to be but push button start is proving to dependable and handy.

calicamper

Expedition Leader

Guessing all makers are migrating this way given the button is cheaper and has less moving parts than the old school keys hanging from ignition set up. GM has taken a beating over their bad ignition issue whats odd is that in the Auto biz parts like that are used by many makers GM wasn't the only one to use that ignition part I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop and we hear about other makers who have that same part in their cars.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I agree, the Colo/Canyon shifter looks like it came from an 80's Pontiac 6000 but it does feel and look decent in person although not as nice as the Taco's looks in pictures. Yes, the 4Runner is running Direct Injection on the 4.0L. Odd that the new Taco 3.5L is said to run both port and direct injection depending on load and demand. I'm wandering if that is not a missprint where they mean cylinder deactivation?? Guess we'll see.

I have come to love the push button start after having a 2010 BMW and now the 2014 Impala. I hate electric shift garbage because it is more complicated than it needs to be but push button start is proving to dependable and handy.

Interesting? I sorta faintly recall that the newer DI approach would most likely be a combination of DI and not. I can't recall where I saw the comment but I think it was around a discussion with the issues several Auto makers were having with DI engines and carbon build up. Its possible that DI is only ideally used when the engine is hot enough or possibly under certain types of engine load where the issue of carbon build up is not a factor? Then when its under other conditions DI is removed from the program to avoid that issue? If so then possibly the 3.5 is using more modern DI application than the 4L?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior