2015/2016 New 3rd gen Tacoma Debut in Detriot

Clutch

<---Pass
Most definitely rear disk.
2016-toyota-tacoma-double-cab-limited-wheels.jpg

It is just me or does the cab and bed body lines not line up? That seems pretty cheesy. I'm thinking they did skin an old Mitsubishi Raider for body pieces
2016-toyota-tacoma-double-cab-limited-front-three-quarter.jpg

That looks like the front wheel Larry, I can see the airdam in that shot.

The bedside does look a bit cheesy and not lined up. (pre production woes?)

First impression, not as clean lines of the outgoing body style.

I really like the front end. And the wheels. I'm imagining it with a slight suspension boost and some beefier tires, and fighting off a slight chubby.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
That looks like the front wheel Larry, I can see the airdam in that shot.

The bedside does look a bit cheesy and not lined up. (pre production woes?)

First impression, not as clean lines of the outgoing body style.

Yep, I corrected that shortly after posting. I definitely posted the front not the rear. The pictures on Motortrend looked like the rear wheel until you maximize the photo to see the front airdam.

Sure hope body line blooper is a preproduction woe but man, they are pretty far along launch to be showing that big of error. Certainly looking like Toyota took the cheap route to this Taco update. Hope the interior and powertrain updates are noteworthy as there is nothing striking to the exterior.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yep, I corrected that shortly after posting. I definitely posted the front not the rear. The pictures on Motortrend looked like the rear wheel until you maximize the photo to see the front airdam.

No worries I made the same mistake at first.

Sure hope body line blooper is a preproduction woe but man, they are pretty far along launch to be showing that big of error. Certainly looking like Toyota took the cheap route to this Taco update. Hope the interior and powertrain updates are noteworthy as there is nothing striking to the exterior.

Looks like what they did with the Tundra, new bed (sides&tailgate) and front clip. It isn't bad looking...however hoping they upgraded the drivetrain...if they didn't. Believe Toyota just doesn't care any more...

They seem more focused on hybrids and fuel cell vehicles.

Riley

Observer
Did they really need the extra cooling from the Peterbilt style hood rise? Or is it simply an "American" element to convey tough-ness?

I wonder if they decided to do a common size between models for cost cutting? Have they not always done that?

Not sure I'm a fan.....

On edit: I sure hope it looks less pronounced in person. Tough year to screw up a redesign, lots of competition these days....

Last edited:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Aftermarket is gonna love fabbing front bumpers.

That is a for damn sure, but some of those small fabrication shops have come up with pretty slick solutions even for the odd looking angry snoz on the 2014/2015 4Runner whereas the big guys like ARB seem to be dragging their feet to come up with a front winch mount/bumper solution. Some creative minds and skilled CAD operators can come up with some kind of nice looking bumper/winch mount for the new Taco too.

Check this out&#8230;. Very tasteful winch mount for the odd snoz 14-15 4Runner
sss_4r_bumper_a.jpg

Thanks for the live link!

Clutch

<---Pass
Did they really need the extra cooling from the Peterbilt style hood rise? Or is it simply an "American" element to convey tough-ness?

Yeah, I don't get the ever growing codpiece grills. Must be marketing to guys with inferiority complexes.

I like the the looks of the HiLux much better (oh well)

14477797gu.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
That is a for damn sure, but some of those small fabrication shops have come up with pretty slick solutions even for the odd looking angry snoz on the 2014/2015 4Runner whereas the big guys like ARB seem to be dragging their feet to come up with a front winch mount/bumper solution. Some creative minds and skilled CAD operators can come up with some kind of nice looking bumper/winch mount for the new Taco too.

Check this out…. Very tasteful winch mount for the odd snoz 14-15 4Runner
sss_4r_bumper_a.jpg

Thanks for the live link!

Or just get of the Predator face altogether.

d_1100.jpg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
That Hilux looks like a mid production (say 2007, 2008 or so) Tacoma with less stylized wheel wells. Can see the family resemblance to the 200 Series. Good looking truck.

ToyotareleasesaneventougherLandCruiser_thumb.jpg

20674888_thumb.jpg

bkg

Explorer
So after over 10 years, all Toyota could do is a cosmetic update and increased pricing? Sad. Sad indeed. Makes me want to go find another gen1 doublecab and put it on ice.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Or just get of the Predator face altogether.

Yeah, I’ve saw that bumper too on my 4Runner surfing lately but it doesn’t appeal to me personally but I could see some people liking that one better. I really want a 2015 4Runner Trail Premium in a bad way! These photos of the new Taco just confirmed my desire for a 4Runner over a Taco. The boss is 80% on board for a new 4Runner over a small truck (Colorado, Taco or Frontier) in the coming months. We recently sold our ‘92 4Runner and need another to take its spot in the garage. I want a new daily driver too…tired of rowing the ZF 6 speed manual in my Silvy on a daily basis. I thought I wanted a 2014 Silverado 1500 crew cab until I drove one for a week. No thanks……

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior