2014 Yamaha WR250R

Cody1771

Explorer
as some of you know i have been riding a 2011 Vstrom 650 for the last couple of years, while i did love this bike it is not what i wanted originally. i got talked into something that didn't fit my need. I have always, and will always love to get dirty on the trails and this is not the bike for this. So it went up for sale and sold very quickly. I picked up a brand spankin new 2014 Yamaha WR250R that will now slowly be made into the adventure bike i have always wanted!

this is the day i got her;

12054568444_83d3504cdc_z.jpg

Bone stock i decided i needed to get out on the gravel. unfortunately it snowed that weekend but it didn't slow me down, got down to -14C in some of the higher bits and she ran like a champ.

12054466973_da352aa6ab_z.jpg

I managed to get her out on some tight, twisty gnarly single track this last weekend and i had an absolute blast!

12054177065_19de59b51e_z.jpg

now let the modding begin... the fuel range on this thing is terrible (100km) range with a guy as big as me, but the power is good and it handles well! first thing i changed out was the bars to a renthal aluminum trials bend which really helped!

Last edited:

Cody1771

Explorer
A couple things i noted from this last ride.

A: i need a skidplate and some barkbusters
B: i really need to get some storage solutions going...

so, made an order in with A vicious cycle for some stuff. The skidplate i ordered is still a couple of weeks out but i got the cargo rack and the fork bleeders i ordered.

these allow you to bleed off excess pressure built up in the forks while on the trail. stock is just a set of screws you need a screw driver to get out. stupid right?

12055023516_01c2d288bd_z.jpg

The cargo rack i ordered is a moose racing expedition rear rack. looked like it would work with the soft bags i currently have so it was a winner for me.

12054574464_c30e2f1174_z.jpg

Cody1771

Explorer
now for things left to order....

these are the hand guards i have decided to go with. i like the idea of the folding mirrors so i dont have to unscrew them off my bars all the time.

Cockpit_00.jpg

also another guard is this little do dad that stops chain clogging and other debris from punching into your engine.

Copy%20of%20case%20saver%20kit_005.jpg

a 4.7 gallon IMS tank is high on my priority list but at over $400 + shipping a jerry can works for now.

chris_1001

Makes me miss my KTM!!!! Years ago I had a Yamaha XT-350, sucked on and off road. But I would consider a WR250R, now if they made that in a 400 I'd get one today! Good luck with it and enjoy!!

Cody1771

Explorer
yeah it's funny, there is a lot of demand for a wr450r but Yamaha seems to have no interest in it. to be honest i was a little scared going from a 650 to a 250, but when you take in the power to weight this bike has about the same juice, you just notice it a lot more on the highway, you run out of throttle pretty quick at higher speeds. that being said i am super happy with it. will be a great little adventure bike. will be nice to get that bigger tank so i can do longer trails like the WABDR on it and such.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
these allow you to bleed off excess pressure built up in the forks while on the trail. stock is just a set of screws you need a screw driver to get out. stupid right?

not when you understand how to use them, they are not meant to bleed air while sitting on the bike on the side of the trail, the forks need to be completely unladen at full extended before you bleed any air, otherwise you will get into a negative air pressure situation, no good for your air chamber to be effective.

Cody1771

Explorer
not when you understand how to use them, they are not meant to bleed air while sitting on the bike on the side of the trail, the forks need to be completely unladen at full extended before you bleed any air, otherwise you will get into a negative air pressure situation, no good for your air chamber to be effective.

yes i realize that

Cody1771

Explorer
so did a nice long run, 289km each way camping this past weekend. a few things to note. the fuel range is very limiting. larger tank is now at the top of the priority list. i was wanting the 4.7 gallon tank but from everything i read it makes the bike heavier, more awkward, and wider. in the tight areas we have up here that is just not an option. for the price of the 4.7g i can get the 3g tank and 2 rotopax. i think this is a better option. carrying so much weight on the bike makes it a bit of a rough ride. getting my weight down will be hard, thinking of building something like amoto mule for longer trips.

cust-me12.jpg

Cody1771

Explorer
the more i ride this bike the more and more i love having a small bike. i can get into places that just wouldn't be possible any other way!

These first 2 are from a place called Nikki's nest. it's a cabin retreat at the bottom of a horse back trail. you can hike, bike, dirtbike, quad, or ride a horse to it but there is no way you could get anything bigger in. and if you are riding you better be comfortable with steep sections of loose rocks and root :D

Untitled by Cody Mac, on Flickr

This is the river, the Koksilah that runs next to the cabin;

These next ones are fro Oliphant lake. in the mill bay area, you could probably get a jeep in there if you could find a way around the gates. lots of amazing trails in the area as well!

Cody1771

Explorer
Almost forgot to mention I Got my HBD hand guards installed! took a bit of work but very happy with the quality.

13385892874_bdd2c14a95_z.jpg

13385675323_ee530f6baf_z.jpg

I have a gopro remote mount that is being made up for the hand-guards on the way. should be a good set-up.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
You are making a good case for having a smaller dual sport. Enjoying your updates and trip report..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles