2014 Tundra Crew Max Build

Tacovendor

Explorer
As some of you know I've built both an 2007 FJ and 2010 Tacoma. This April my wife and I thought we would try the RV scene, so I purchased a Tundra as a tow vehicle and a new trailer and we were off to travel. It was shortly after a few outings we realized that we are not RV campground compatible. When you run your slide out of the trailer and you're only three feet from your neighbor, reality strikes. Grant you, a real toilet, shower and a flat screen were nice, but they don't have the adventure camping in the outdoors.

We did use the leather clad "Limited" as an off road vehicle, but still went back to the confines of an RV park at the end of the day.

Now the plan:
Suspension: will be an Icon Vehicle Dynamics Stage 6 system supplemented by some quick disconnect air bags.
http://iconvehicledynamics.com/shop...uspension-system-stage-6-with-billet-uca.html

Bumpers/ Sliders: Since the truck is new looking into a company that mfg's one.

Accommodations: Four Wheel Campers "Raven", this will be the heart of the build, These campers have proven themselves over the years and are built like a tank. Yes it will have creature comforts, but will be completely self sufficient for extended outings into the outdoors (ie; low wattage lights, solar etc.). I will be posting the progress of the campers construction http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/index.php/products/for-full-size-trucks/raven-8-0-long-bed/

Interior (truck): Marathon seat covers, I'm designing a removable drawer/storage system for the back seat area, this would allow us to remove the seats when travelling and give us a storage solution. And will also give our four legged family a comfortable window seat.

Off road lighting: will be Baja Designs, I have to figure configuration before I know which ones I'll be using.

Tires/Wheels: BFG KO2's 35/15/12.50 on Method Double Standards

I should be getting this going and it will be completed for Overland Expo 2015! Wish me luck:sombrero:

Last edited:

Willman

Can't wait for this build! The tundra is a powerful platform. Love to see more shots of your stock state.

adrstout

Adventurer
Dude...I remember seeing that Taco on TW. Probably my favorite on there!

Can't wait to see this Tundra.

Tacovendor

Explorer
Bought them from a dealer (Toyota), they are factory tow mirrors. They are having problems with them vibrating loose, so they don't offer them as an option. Problem is when they are not extended they stick out quite a bit, not the best for a narrow track. Leaving today to visit Four Wheel Campers tomorrow, will post some pictures.

Tacovendor

Explorer
Yesterday logged almost 500 miles and averaged 16 mpg, there was a wreck on I-5 so there was two hours of stop and go traffic in that mileage. I usually get 16 to 20mpg.

Last edited:

amo292

Adventurer
I look forward to following this build. You have a great platform to start with and I love what you did with the taco!

Tacovendor

Explorer
Went to the Four Wheel Camper facility today and were given a detailed tour by Tom Hanagan the owner. To say I was impressed is an understatement, the quality in craftsmanship is impeccable. Tom took the time and we covered all the details of the camper build. I'll be sending him my build specs soon, and look forward to progress reports. If your considering a camper, you will not find anything comparable
334e33d926ac3ddf48dd609be3be7903.jpg
!

Last edited:

AxleIke

Adventurer
Excellent Choice Tacovendor!!!

A couple of things to add from my dad's experience with his 4wheel camper, though his is for a tacoma:

1. Definitely bed line the bed before you put in the camper. While the camper doesn't touch the bed, dirt, water, etc can collect and start, or exacerbate, rust. We are pulling his out this winter to have it done. Its just easier to get it done first

2. Get the Arctic wrap. He has it, and loves it. Uses it all the time, not just in the cold, because no matter what, if you cook, or simply just sleeping, condensation builds up on the soft walls of the camper. The arctic wrap keeps this off of you, and your bedding, as it does not collect condensation. The condensation stays behind it.

3. Get the fan option: for the above mentioned condensation, open windows/door and turn on the fan, and it takes surprisingly short time to dry out.

4. Can't remember if they all come with it standard, but the open/removable front window (that looks into the cab) is very nice to have for the pups. Unless your dogs are very small, you will likely find that with two people in the camper, the dogs are really too much. My folks keep them in the cab (they have a very nice shelf in the extended cab, with fluffy beds). The window in the camper can be easily removed and the back window of the truck opened, so the pups can still have some interaction with you.

5. This is an important one: I don't know if the Tundra beds are composite or whatever the new taco beds are made of. If they are, great. However, my dad's Taco is a metal bed, and thus 4WC installed it with eye bolts and fender washers for the tie-downs. With the new Tacomas, I know they add re-inforcing for the composite bed.

We just noticed this on my Dad's, but since he actually takes it offroad, with lots of swaying side to side, the bed is starting to buckle and when he was up in the Beartooth's this last summer, the camper had actually come loose since the bed bent up, and he had to tighten the turnbuckles back down to fix it. However, the turnbuckles are all the way compressed now, so when we remove the camper, I will pull the bed, straighten the deck, and weld in larger plates underneath to spread the load.

Now, his is heavy, as he has it pretty decked out (water, hot water, shower, sink, stove, fridge, solar, etc....) but its also a Taco model, so its smaller.

If you have a metal bed, you might ask them about installing some plates or bars when the install it, so you don't have any issues down the road. It may be fine too, I don't know, but that has just been our experience.

Anyway, he absolutely LOVES the camper, takes it out all the time, and actually goes camping way more often then he did before, because it is so easy to get ready, since all he has to do is put food and water in it, and off he goes. Great choice, you will LOVE it.

Last edited:

amo292

Adventurer
Tacking onto what AxelIke was saying, I would look into stiffening up the bed before dropping the slide-in in there. While test driving the 2015 TRD Pro I noticed a serious wobble or shake in the bedsides when going over bumps. Im not sure all Tundras do it, but it is a well known issue with the crewmax that can be seen in a slightly ridiculous scenario here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1LO6uxy11I

Tacovendor

Explorer
Tundra

Excellent Choice Tacovendor!!!

A couple of things to add from my dad's experience with his 4wheel camper, though his is for a tacoma:

AxleIke Thanks for the info, replies are below::sombrero:

1. Definitely bed line the bed before you put in the camper. While the camper doesn't touch the bed, dirt, water, etc can collect and start, or exacerbate, rust. We are pulling his out this winter to have it done. Its just easier to get it done first In the works, going with Rhino. For the SEMA show the Taco had it applied to the fender flares, rocker panel and as an experiment the composite bed. No failures and is what I consider the best on the market.
2. Get the Arctic wrap. He has it, and loves it. Uses it all the time, not just in the cold, because no matter what, if you cook, or simply just sleeping, condensation builds up on the soft walls of the camper. The arctic wrap keeps this off of you, and your bedding, as it does not collect condensation. The condensation stays behind it. Done

3. Get the fan option: for the above mentioned condensation, open windows/door and turn on the fan, and it takes surprisingly short time to dry out. Done

4. Can't remember if they all come with it standard, but the open/removable front window (that looks into the cab) is very nice to have for the pups. Unless your dogs are very small, you will likely find that with two people in the camper, the dogs are really too much. My folks keep them in the cab (they have a very nice shelf in the extended cab, with fluffy beds). The window in the camper can be easily removed and the back window of the truck opened, so the pups can still have some interaction with you. Talked to FW camper and one problem that my limited has is the whole one piece window slides down, I'm getting the slider in the camper but will have to find or fabricate a boot (FWC makes a boot for the center truck slider) , and yes dogs travel with us too!

5. This is an important one: I don't know if the Tundra beds are composite or whatever the new taco beds are made of. If they are, great. However, my dad's Taco is a metal bed, and thus 4WC installed it with eye bolts and fender washers for the tie-downs. With the new Tacomas, I know they add re-inforcing for the composite bed. I'm doing research on this issue and if needed will be done. Most likely just boxing the frame will take care of it.

We just noticed this on my Dad's, but since he actually takes it offroad, with lots of swaying side to side, the bed is starting to buckle and when he was up in the Beartooth's this last summer, the camper had actually come loose since the bed bent up, and he had to tighten the turnbuckles back down to fix it. However, the turnbuckles are all the way compressed now, so when we remove the camper, I will pull the bed, straighten the deck, and weld in larger plates underneath to spread the load.
he should let FWC know of this problem as they might have some insight as to cause and offer a solution. What suspension configuration does he run?

Now, his is heavy, as he has it pretty decked out (water, hot water, shower, sink, stove, fridge, solar, etc....) but its also a Taco model, so its smaller.
Which model?

If you have a metal bed, you might ask them about installing some plates or bars when the install it, so you don't have any issues down the road. It may be fine too, I don't know, but that has just been our experience.

Anyway, he absolutely LOVES the camper, takes it out all the time, and actually goes camping way more often then he did before, because it is so easy to get ready, since all he has to do is put food and water in it, and off he goes. Great choice, you will LOVE it.

Thanks!

AxleIke

Adventurer

Sorry, the model is the Eagle.

He runs Old Man Emu on all of his trucks. He put in an extra heavy duty leaf for the added weight of the camper. It sits level when loaded.

We plan to let 4WC know about the issue once we have had a chance to make sure exactly what has happened. Really just for their information though, not as a complaint. As I said, he thinks the world of it. Here is a shot of it from Fathers Day, getting used.

DSCN2991.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles