2014 Super singles

rockland213

You might check with Rickson. At one point in time he was going to find suitable 19.5" parts to build for the Fuso but I don't know if he ever did.

Did you try these guys? https://www.fusooffroad.com/super-single-fuso-wheels/

I had Stockton wheel build me some. Not sure if they're still doing that though.
I did check with fusooffroad - thought there price and credit card charge are too much, and if I’m going to spend that much I would rather use an US supplier.

Mizifizo

Finding a better US source for SRW's is also on my bucket list. Or designing one from scratch and getting it made. I found this interesting example of what looks like a one-off split rim design and am hunting for the maker, hoping someone here might recognize the truck so that more research can be done to identify who made them? I have looked at thousands of images of Fuso SRW wheel examples online and have never seen this one before. The truck was auctioned earlier this year in Perris, CA USA and sold to a FL bidder. Here's a link to the auction description: https://www.truckplanet.com/for-sal...Fuso-FG639-4x4-Cargo-Truck-California/4821425
There are 130 images of the truck posted and some of the other details are interesting enough to take note of... for those of us working on or planning our builds. Whoever had the truck executed a few good ideas.

Attachments

• 7900e6ab-8189-4961-bdd1-8781088af963.jpg
    7900e6ab-8189-4961-bdd1-8781088af963.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 895a57b5-b87f-4128-99c0-4e44e600157f.jpg
    895a57b5-b87f-4128-99c0-4e44e600157f.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 840c8e32-d882-44a1-b6d2-472ea975c069.jpg
    840c8e32-d882-44a1-b6d2-472ea975c069.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 56

SuperVan

Forager
Finding a better US source for SRW's is also on my bucket list. Or designing one from scratch and getting it made. I found this interesting example of what looks like a one-off split rim design and am hunting for the maker, hoping someone here might recognize the truck so that more research can be done to identify who made them? I have looked at thousands of images of Fuso SRW wheel examples online and have never seen this one before. The truck was auctioned earlier this year in Perris, CA USA and sold to a FL bidder. Here's a link to the auction description: https://www.truckplanet.com/for-sal...Fuso-FG639-4x4-Cargo-Truck-California/4821425
There are 130 images of the truck posted and some of the other details are interesting enough to take note of... for those of us working on or planning our builds. Whoever had the truck executed a few good ideas.

Shoot me a PM…I may know a guy.

kerry

Expedition Leader
The lug nuts don’t appear to be threaded on far enough with those rims. I’d be curious about those rims too.

Mizifizo

It appears that both halves of the wheel nest over the hub and studs so I'd guess the total wheel thickness is a bit too much for stock lugs?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Sorry, a bit off topic, but that's an interesting little truck.
Wonder what they did to the engine, as it looks very much like it has been setup as a desert racing truck.

javajoe79

Fabricator
Those look like 16.5" wheels and Humvee tires. The wheels are custom for sure. None of the humvee wheels have that many bolts

javajoe79

Fabricator
So most of you guys with super singles run 17" wheels? Why is that and what tire do you use? I'm considering building some 20" super singles from military 2 piece wheels. Plenty of tire options in the 4000 ish pounds weight rating.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Sorry, a bit off topic, but that's an interesting little truck.
Wonder what they did to the engine, as it looks very much like it has been setup as a desert racing truck.
I can remember looking at that auction when it was live. Seems like engine was stock. I also seem to recall a problem which raised a red flag—like no oil pressure or something like that.

glennm01

So most of you guys with super singles run 17" wheels? Why is that and what tire do you use? I'm considering building some 20" super singles from military 2 piece wheels. Plenty of tire options in the 4000 ish pounds weight rating.

I have Patriot M/T 37s that are rated for 4300 lbs, but I'm not sure they're available anymore. As to why I run 17" super singles, mainly because they came with the truck. No complaints yet though.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
So most of you guys with super singles run 17" wheels? Why is that and what tire do you use?
17" rims are what's "trendy" at the moment in Australia, primarily because there are more tyre options than there are with the 19.5" rims.
Personally, I believe that the gearing is better with the 35.5" tyres, over the 37" tyres, especially if you have an engine with standard HP. I have also spoken with numerous others, who agree with me.
These trucks are not great on hills at the best of times, and the bigger the tyres the worse that gets. Bigger tyres can be an issue in low range too, as they will have an affect of lowering the torque.

Personal choice, load capacity and the type of terrain the truck will be used in all come into the equation.
Sadly, I do not think that currently there is a "perfect" tyre choice to be had for these trucks.

I agree... there are some nice tyre choices for 20" rims, so I don't know why there aren't singles available in that size.
As has been mentioned previously, regulation for rims seems to be more stringent here in Australia, so to be "legal", you really need to go with one of the big players (ATW, AAV etc.), as their rims are all certified.
16", 17" and 19.5" are pretty much your singles choices here in Australia. We also have a more limited choice of tyre options, in all sizes. Sigh..............

javajoe79

Fabricator
17" rims are what's "trendy" at the moment in Australia, primarily because there are more tyre options than there are with the 19.5" rims.
Personally, I believe that the gearing is better with the 35.5" tyres, over the 37" tyres, especially if you have an engine with standard HP. I have also spoken with numerous others, who agree with me.
These trucks are not great on hills at the best of times, and the bigger the tyres the worse that gets. Bigger tyres can be an issue in low range too, as they will have an affect of lowering the torque.

Personal choice, load capacity and the type of terrain the truck will be used in all come into the equation.
Sadly, I do not think that currently there is a "perfect" tyre choice to be had for these trucks.

I agree... there are some nice tyre choices for 20" rims, so I don't know why there aren't singles available in that size.
As has been mentioned previously, regulation for rims seems to be more stringent here in Australia, so to be "legal", you really need to go with one of the big players (ATW, AAV etc.), as their rims are all certified.
16", 17" and 19.5" are pretty much your singles choices here in Australia. We also have a more limited choice of tyre options, in all sizes. Sigh..............
Gotcha. So I guess that just carries over to the US guys by default then. I'm going to look in to making my own as I mentioned. Maybe some of the US guys could use 20" wheels too. For the price of the 2 piece, 20" military wheels, I think it could be a pretty attractive option plus with the addition of a PVC inner sleeve, they become double beadlocks.

If anyone can chime in here with some info that might be helpful to me I would appreciate it. With a super single conversion, what dimension do you end up with from outside of tire to outside of tire? Fuso and Isuzu if anyone has that info handy.

Ultimark

The terrain and weight of your vehicle will most likely determine whether you prefer super singles or rear duals. In general we traverse more sandy terrain, duals on the rear are literally a drag.

I had the choice of 19½" or 17" super single wheels when the truck was being built. As our travels will often be over interesting terrain, then the 17" tyres available at the time of purchase had a much larger tyre wall thereby allowing for greater deflation possibilities for rolling over sand, mud, corrugations thereby allowing the tyres to become a greater part of the suspension set-up in these conditions.

The 19" tyre choices while very good but extremely limited in Australia, are basically truck tyres that you can air down to a certain extent. No matter how far you air them down, their very strong sidewalls, which are very good in preventing staking and such, also lead to a harsher ride. I know this as one day out in the sticks I came across an almost identical vehicle to ours (NPS 300) with 19½" wheel/tyres. We went for short drives in each others truck, verdict, the 37" tyres were noticeably softer, not much, but noticeable.

The 17" tyres on our vehicle have softer and bigger sidewalls, which may lead to easier staking, I don't know whether that will be the case, but so far staking hasn't happened yet. When aired right down for difficult or interesting terrain, the ride is definitely softer/better. Traction is another enhancement possibility if you need to lower your tyres quite a lot for short intense recovery, the 17" tyre elongates further giving you great traction. Effectively, you require 1G down force or greater to retain traction up an incline, the lower you can air down, the easier one should be able to maintain the 1G down force to maintain traction; bigger sidewalls that allow the tyre to balloon more, really help here.

The downside to 17" wheels is a load restriction on the rear axle, we lose 500kg of load carrying capacity over the 19½" wheels. In our case it didn't matter as we are 1100kg under the plated limit, which is 7000kg and 1600kg under the design limit which is 7500kg when fully loaded and ready to roll.

Running All Terrain 17" wheels with 37 x 13.5" Gladiator All Terrain tyres. I'm not sure what you mean by outside tyre to outside of tyre, but our tyres are approximately 940mm high when on the truck measured from the ground.

Airing down at the start of a week of sand a fair bit deeper and quite harder than what you can see. 2.2 Bar pressure.

The second picture is where the tyres were getting great traction up a reasonably stony and slippery hill, 1.8 bar pressure.

Little_Desert_May_2021_001P1050744_Web.jpg

Front_Live_Axle_003.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94