2014 Super singles

javajoe79

Fabricator
The terrain and weight of your vehicle will most likely determine whether you prefer super singles or rear duals. In general we traverse more sandy terrain, duals on the rear are literally a drag.

I had the choice of 19½" or 17" super single wheels when the truck was being built. As our travels will often be over interesting terrain, then the 17" tyres available at the time of purchase had a much larger tyre wall thereby allowing for greater deflation possibilities for rolling over sand, mud, corrugations thereby allowing the tyres to become a greater part of the suspension set-up in these conditions.

The 19" tyre choices while very good but extremely limited in Australia, are basically truck tyres that you can air down to a certain extent. No matter how far you air them down, their very strong sidewalls, which are very good in preventing staking and such, also lead to a harsher ride. I know this as one day out in the sticks I came across an almost identical vehicle to ours (NPS 300) with 19½" wheel/tyres. We went for short drives in each others truck, verdict, the 37" tyres were noticeably softer, not much, but noticeable.

The 17" tyres on our vehicle have softer and bigger sidewalls, which may lead to easier staking, I don't know whether that will be the case, but so far staking hasn't happened yet. When aired right down for difficult or interesting terrain, the ride is definitely softer/better. Traction is another enhancement possibility if you need to lower your tyres quite a lot for short intense recovery, the 17" tyre elongates further giving you great traction. Effectively, you require 1G down force or greater to retain traction up an incline, the lower you can air down, the easier one should be able to maintain the 1G down force to maintain traction; bigger sidewalls that allow the tyre to balloon more, really help here.

The downside to 17" wheels is a load restriction on the rear axle, we lose 500kg of load carrying capacity over the 19½" wheels. In our case it didn't matter as we are 1100kg under the plated limit, which is 7000kg and 1600kg under the design limit which is 7500kg when fully loaded and ready to roll.

Running All Terrain 17" wheels with 37 x 13.5" Gladiator All Terrain tyres. I'm not sure what you mean by outside tyre to outside of tyre, but our tyres are approximately 940mm high when on the truck measured from the ground.

Airing down at the start of a week of sand a fair bit deeper and quite harder than what you can see. 2.2 Bar pressure.

The second picture is where the tyres were getting great traction up a reasonably stony and slippery hill, 1.8 bar pressure.

View attachment 698128

View attachment 698129
I mean track width basically but since total width will depend on the tire you're using, I was asking the the outside dimension between your tires. Or you could say track width plus the width of one tire. That would be the same dimension.

Ultimark

Track width, not a problem. Outside to outside measurement is approximately 2040mm. Tyre tread width is around 285mm actual, on these tyres.

Tyre_Track_001_Tyre_Track_003_IMG_20211223_120603.jpg

Mizifizo

Certainly a nice looking truck. Yes, I wonder what the wheels are? Keep searching I'd possibly be interested.

Dan.
I can't help but see similarities between these wheels and a pattern offered by stazworks... they offer custom patterns as well as the 17x14 size, and others.
7fa503fd8b4bbd04ac0a4e0a99acd736.jpg

Sent with a hint of overthinking the problem at hand.

Last edited:

rockland213

Finally bit the bullet and got my signals. After much searching trying to find someone in the US to build them. Tony from fusooffroad had them in stock, and I found tires near me on marketplace. DD6D21D5-641F-4BFA-98A5-242B142C7021.jpeg8D96FC97-8F01-4864-B4D5-1B3D34A108EA.jpegDD6D21D5-641F-4BFA-98A5-242B142C7021.jpeg8D96FC97-8F01-4864-B4D5-1B3D34A108EA.jpeg

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
For anyone that does not know, Fuso Offroad is the one of the companies that comes under the Australian Adventure Vehicles (AAV) umbrella.

Ultimark

Didn't know Fuso Offroad was one of their companies, Bolton Holdings (AAV 4x4) have a surprisingly newish registered ABN :)

I have here in Spain the possibility that a tire manufacturer manufactures them for me, it is possible to find some technical detail of the rims in 17 that ATW or fusoroad sell

37s 13.5 on a 17in rim. Still have not tested though. Tires are Waiting for the wheels. I will pos some pics next week prob. Currently they are making about 5 different sets for both 6 lug and five lugs.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Given the age of the trucks with 5 stud rims, there are hardly any companies making that particular rim here in Australia these days.
A definite supply and demand scenario...

Given the age of the trucks with 5 stud rims, there are hardly any companies making that particular rim here in Australia these days.
A definite supply and demand scenario...
Pretty much anywhere... I've scoured 4 continents for 5 stud rims of any kind to no avail. Custom was the only real option, and mostly cheaper than off the shelf with international shipping and insurance costs these days.

BigSkyBrad

I’ve had a good look at the TEJ Wheels website and other info on the net regarding them, and they look promising. But before approaching them, I need to gather some more information.

I currently have re-offsetted 17.5x6.75 rims with 265/70-17.5 (137K) tyres as super singles, but the tyre choice is scant. The Euro-spec Canter has a final drive ratio of 4.875 instead of the rest-of-world 5.285, so 37” on 17x9 is too tall, especially for the 4P10 engine in my opinion.

I’m thinking of 18x8.5, 18x9 steel rims with 295/70R18 (129Q) tyres, which is equivalent to 34” - if I can get a suitably strong rim manufactured. There’s plenty of tyre brands that do that size, and the 129 load rating just meets the 6500kg GVW - though I would down-plate my truck to 6000kg as I am well under this, and it means the tyres aren’t running at the limit.

But first I need a couple of questions answered if anyone can help.

My wheels are offset at +90mm (factory is +129) but I forgot about the thickness of the mounting disc (when the rim is reversed for the rear axle), so my front track is 1725mm and the rear is 1755mm. The offset should have been +85, but I’ll not lose sleep over it with my current wheels.

However, the steering arm ball joint is only 30mm from the rim - even at +85 offset this would still only be 35mm. If I had 17x9’s at +85 for the same track front and rear, my math says this gap would only be 7mm. Can anyone with AAV/ATW steel 17x9’s confirm their ball to rim gap please?

Also, would someone be able to take a couple of measurements (using two straightedges) of their 17x9 rims per the diagram, in millimetres?

Thanks in advance if you can help me with the above.

1674558274501.png

1674558307021.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior