2014 JKUS Cape York build

Ozian

Hi all, I’ve been lurking here for a while absorbing all of the great knowledge and experience of everyone (some seriously impressive kit built by members!). Now it’s time to get some advice on my build in preparation for my first serious overland trip!

The Trip:
I live in Brisbane Australia, and a couple of friends and I are now planning a trip from here to the tip of Cape York via the Old Telegraph Track in 2020. It’s about a 3,000 km journey each way, with a bit over 3/4 of that highway driving and well maintained dirt roads. The Old Telegraph Track is where the real fun is and has some seriously challenging obstacles and water crossings. It’s very remote, so proper prep and a solid dependable rig are paramount. There are little communities and camps along the way with fuel and water available, but there are stretches where we’ll need to be self sufficient for a couple of days. All very doable as long as you are prepared. One of the guys has done this trip in his heavily modified Mazda BT50 ute (pickup, for the North Americans here ;) ), so that’s helpful.

My Jeep:
My rig is a 2014 JK Unlimited that I bought new and have been slowly building up over the last four years.

Suspension: Rancho 2” Sport spring lift with Rancho 9000XL shocks, Teraflex Sport front lower control arms and rear track bar bracket to bring the suspension geometry back in line. I’ve also added in a 1” Teraflex rear spring spacer to compensate for my rack, heavier spare tyre/rim, and allow for weight of camping gear.

Tyres: Cooper ST Maxx 285/70r17s on Fuel Beast rims.

Rack: Gobi Stealth with ladder, front insert, quick release and axe/shovel holder brackets. I have a 2.5x3m awning on the passenger side with led strip lighting installed.

Lighting: All stock lighting has been upgraded with quality LEDs. 9” front led spotties (replacing previous 22” led light bar), a-pillar cubes, low profile spot/flood combos on top of rear rack.

I’ve already got a good UHF radio installed, as well as some interior comfort items (Wild Boar grab handles, upgraded stereo, etc). I also have a good camping gear set up, with quality double swag tent (off ground), self inflating air mattress, sleeping bags, cooking gear, comfortable camp chairs, 20litre water container, foldable table, camp lighting, spare tyre-mounted garbage bag etc, so I’m pretty much set there.

What I’m planning on adding:
- Uneek bull bar with front skid plate and rock lights
- 12,000 lbs winch
- Rock sliders with step (still have stock plastic side steps)
- AEV snorkel - there are a number of deep water crossings on this trip... my feet are going to get wet!
- MORryde jerry can mounts (both sides)
- MORryde tail gate hinge reinforcement
- Poison Spyder Bombshell diff covers (heard too many stories of people peeling the lip of their stock diff covers up on some of the rocky portions along the track)
- Diff and transmission breather extensions
- C-gusset brackets (welded) for front D30, and Teraflex heavy duty ball joints
- dual battery system (battery mounted on passenger side rear wheel well in the cab)
- 45l fridge on slide
- rear storage tray

So, that’s my plan! I’d appreciate any suggestions on supplier options for some of the kit I’m looking for (remembering I’m in Australia and exchange rate and shipping for the US can be a killer on heavier items). What am I missing?? Am I overdoing this (yeah right ;) )? I plan on doing more over landing trips in the future, including a crossing of the Simpson desert, and up to Alice Spings after the Cape York trip, so it would be great to get as much as possible “right” the first time to minimise the need for future changes.

The trip won’t be until sometime in June/July 2020, so I have some time to do this progressively and take advantage of sales and possibly picking up some items second hand if they pop up.

Love to hear what you all think!!! Thanks in advance!

Ps, here are some shots of my Jeep in its current configuration:

90431951-4767-441A-BA22-8271C7A95C61.jpegB9F9037B-2838-48B9-A89F-5AAA4CFC6752.jpeg5A7712E7-8655-48F4-9557-56BE13B74D1B.jpeg

Last edited:

Ozian

Oh yes, there will be three of us in the Jeep for the trip; my camping-reluctant partner who wants to cross this off her bucket list, with the promise of a Bali luxury resort getaway to make up for her discomfort, and my 13 year old son, who seems amazingly unfazed by the prospect of a couple of weeks without internet access! :D

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Welcome to ExPo Ozian. I’ve got a trip to The Tip on my bucket list as well. The Telly is a truly amazing way to get there. I’ve got a few friends in the Noosa / Brizzy area to visit and will someday do a combo trip. Make sure to do a trip thread here with lots of pics when you go. I think it’s one of the most interesting off-road trips one can do.

My only concern is if the AEV snorkel will work with the MORryde Jerry can mount. I have the can mounts on both sides of my JKUR now, and I like them. I am considering adding an AEV snorkel, but I cannot find any reliable info if they work well together.

Ozian

My only concern is if the AEV snorkel will work with the MORryde Jerry can mount. I have the can mounts on both sides of my JKUR now, and I like them. I am considering adding an AEV snorkel, but I cannot find any reliable info if they work well together.
Good point Chaos. Not sure to be honest. I’ll probably just get the passenger side mount (remeber, my Wrangler is RHD) to be safe. I can put a second can on my roof rack if I need to, but the feedback I’ve recieved so far is that one 20l can should be enough for this trip as there are plenty of fuel stops along the way.

02rangeredge

Adventurer
Oh yes, there will be three of us in the Jeep for the trip; my camping-reluctant partner who wants to cross this off her bucket list, with the promise of a Bali luxury resort getaway to make up for her discomfort, and my 13 year old son, who seems amazingly unfazed by the prospect of a couple of weeks without internet access! :D
I will say thats when I got into backpacking (around 13, in the early 2000's) this can turn into something that goes on for a long time with him, for me it started a yearly 5 or so day trip with my dad and maybe the troop (I was a boy scout) from time to time, keep him involved in the prep process

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94