2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Uberlanding Build

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Mercedes must not be worried about off gas because the battery on my ML350 is under the front passenger seat.....

That's true, I guess I just personally prefer batteries to be under the hood. We had a battery blow up in the Jeep J8 once on the trail, and while it was mounted underneath it still sounded like a shotgun went off, and filled the car with battery fumes. I wouldn't have wanted that to happen inside the vehicle.

m(a)ce

Adventurer
nice JKUR Matt! cool to see some different mods & it will be good to see your field reports. I'm not sure if you've had a sPOD before but it's great & John is a solid guy.

HRPINDC

Adventurer
Mercedes must not be worried about off gas because the battery on my ML350 is under the front passenger seat.....

'14 Grand Cherokees have the batteries there too. Not certain I like that. I would be concerned about gasses or acid in an accident. I much prefer them in the engine bay.

Hey Matt, do you have a picture of the light bar from further away? I don't think it looks bad.

I get what you're saying about the weight, and I agree. Especially where it overhangs the front tires. But the LoD is light weight too.

Check your door jamb for the GVWR, the website is not consistent with the sticker.

Last edited:

MattScott

Approved Vendor
'14 Grand Cherokees have the batteries there too. Not certain I like that. I would be concerned about gasses or acid in an accident. I much prefer them in the engine bay.

Hey Matt, do you have a picture of the light bar from further away? I don't think it looks bad.

I'll have some better pictures shortly, saving the best ones for the front page article. :)

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
Matt

I will let you know what mods I go for in case you need a stunt double Jeep. Nice Jeep I guess ours are some sort of cousins since we have the same color! :sombrero:

Good luck

Jim

MattScott

Approved Vendor
7de605120c9222c778101df6f8693443.jpg

Once you start installing drawers and a fridge, this awesome space underneath the rear cargo floor is rendered essentially useless. It's begging for some kind of water storage. I bet you could get a few gallons in there easy.

fjatl

Adventurer
7de605120c9222c778101df6f8693443.jpg

Once you start installing drawers and a fridge, this awesome space underneath the rear cargo floor is rendered essentially useless. It's begging for some kind of water storage. I bet you could get a few gallons in there easy.

glad you posted this...I've been wondering if folks have gotten creative with this space!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Congrats, Matt.

Like your battery choice but...
rigidindustries.jpg

I test fitted my Rigid Industries 20" SR2 Combo light bar to the hood of the Jeep using their brackets......
...ick....

Wherever you put that thing, spring for a cover. Some states require it to be covered unless you're off a public road, even in daytime.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Congrats, Matt.

Like your battery choice but...
...ick....

Wherever you put that thing, spring for a cover. Some states require it to be covered unless you're off a public road, even in daytime.

I have two yellow covers for it.

People really, really seem to dislike this thing.

I've been chatting with Rigid Industries about some improvements, as the brackets catch spray from the windshield sprayers.

GetOutThere

Adventurer

I'm definitely curious to see what you come up with for this... Right now I have the jack out, and in there are my booster cables. The large space I use for secondary items just in case I forget/lose any of them. Deodorant, extra socks, toothbrush/paste, maps, flashlight, multitool, etc. This certainly isn't an ideal use of space, but it's hard to put anything important in there when you know it will just be covered by other gear and practically impossible to get to.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I have two yellow covers for it.

People really, really seem to dislike this thing.

I've been chatting with Rigid Industries about some improvements, as the brackets catch spray from the windshield sprayers.
I just figure that I'm going to use the vehicle on the road most of the time and I'd prefer my mods to be legal (and safe). Supplemental lighting is regulated to an extent ---- and there are quality lighting choices that both do the job and comply with the law.
A lightbar on the hood? Really? Why.....?

There are other places to put "offroad" lights that will work better for you. And better products for driving or foglights.

Sorry. I get grouchy about light abuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke