2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Uberlanding Build

toxicity_27

Adventurer
I went with the MORE battery tray because I wanted to use National Luna's dual battery kit with the in-cab monitoring. I also know Paul from Equipt Expedition Outfitters, and I wanted to support him.

The Genesis tray looks great though, very innovative.

That makes sense then. Thanks for the quick reply. Definitely interested in following your build.

For my Jeep after carefully looking at the dual tray options I opted for a rear mounted battery tray the manufacturer is working on a passenger side version as well so I will be able to do both house batteries in cargo area.IMG_0149.jpg

HRPINDC

Adventurer
Welcome to the Jeep family Matt, we're glad you joined us. My Jeep is very close to yours, except I did get the fancy color matched bits. I am anxious to follow your build as it looks like you and I have very similar tastes. I really like the Pronghorn bumpers, but damn they're expensive. I've been thinking LOD Armor Lite mid width.

Did you get a soft top? There's no way you can live that close to the beach and not ride topless. Congrats!

Last edited:

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Welcome to the Jeep family Matt, we're glad you joined us. My Jeep is very close to yours, except I did get the fancy color matched bits. I am anxious to follow your build as it looks like you and I have very similar tastes. I really like the Pronghorn bumpers, but damn they're expensive. I've been thinking LOD Armor Lite mid width.

Did you get a soft top? There's no way you can live that close to the beach and not ride topless. Congrats!

I do some work with Pronghorn Overland Gear, so aside from that, one of the reasons I'm going with their bumpers is the lightweight construction. With the load capacity of the vehicle being under 1000lbs, I'd rather not have bumpers taking up half of that.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
rigidindustries.jpg

I test fitted my Rigid Industries 20" SR2 Combo light bar to the hood of the Jeep using their brackets. I'm a bit up in the air about having a light bar here. On one side, I see the advantage of having the lightbar higher up, but I think it looks a bit goofy. It also interferes slightly with the windshield sprayers.

It'll live here (unhooked) until my sPOD comes in, when I'll finish all of my wiring.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
I see the advantage of having the lightbar higher up

How is the glare off the hood? I personally never saw the advantage of lights higher up especially on the roof, except work lights. Even if I blacked-out the hood to eliminate the glare, most of the time they only illuminated the dust in front of the windshield. But lights on the roof rack sure look very expeditionish.

BTW, I used to have a Vespa as my main means of travel some 25 years ago and it is amazing how well you can keep up with many dual sports with that thing! :elkgrin:

Last edited:

toxicity_27

Adventurer
rigidindustries.jpg

I test fitted my Rigid Industries 20" SR2 Combo light bar to the hood of the Jeep using their brackets. I'm a bit up in the air about having a light bar here. On one side, I see the advantage of having the lightbar higher up, but I think it looks a bit goofy. It also interferes slightly with the windshield sprayers.

It'll live here (unhooked) until my sPOD comes in, when I'll finish all of my wiring.

I'm with you on this. I personally don't like the light bars mounted there.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
How is the glare off the hood? I personally never saw the advantage of lights higher up especially on the roof, except work lights. Even if I blacked-out the hood to eliminate the glare, most of the time they only illuminated the dust in front of the windshield. But lights on the roof rack sure look very expeditionish.

BTW, I used to have a Vespa as my main means of travel some 25 years ago and it is amazing how well you can keep up with many dual sports with that thing! :elkgrin:

No idea about the glare as it's not hooked up yet. Roof rack lights sure do look expeditionish, but I doubt this will get anything like that.

Vespas rock.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
I'm with you on this. I personally don't like the light bars mounted there.

Add another vote for not being a big fan of hood mounted light bars.

Love the pronghorn bumpers, but they are pricey.

Full width bumper with no accessories? $1640. Then take into account it's not actually a full width bumper. It's a stubby with essentially bolt on end caps.

And for a company to have a primary selling point of "low weight", but give no easily found weight numbers on their site ... no bueno.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
They're not cheap. The modular design with separate outers is done for a reason. There are crush zones built into the bumper so you don't bend your frame in a minor accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
I would be weary of putting a battery in the cab due to offgassing.

That risk can be mitigated by using an Optima (or similar type of battery) The Optima can offgas if overcharged and in severely high temps. If this is a concern a tube can be attached to the vents on the battery (Optima) and routed out of the vehicle. Hope that helps. A google search will provide further information if anyone is interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior