2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon HeliNomad Build

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Hey fellow overlanders,

After selling my trusted Land Rover Defender I am looking to start over building a 2014 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Running updated build list:

Suspension:
-AEV LHD 3.5" 4dr DualSport RS Suspension
-1310 Driveshaft

Wheels:
-AEV Savegre 17 x 8.5 Argent with 35x12.50R17 BF Goodrich MT KM2

Lighting:
-Rigid E-Series 20" Spot/Flood Combo
-Truck lite 7" Round LED Headlight
-Truck lite LED Fog lights
-Rigid SR-M Work and Back Up Light

Equipment:
-AEV 10 gallon fuel caddy black gas
-AEV Hi-Lift / Pull Pal Mount
-AEV JK Corner Guards
-AEV JK Front Bumper - Premium
-AEV JK Front Bumper - Skid Plate
-AEV JK Heat Reduction Hood (with Black Mesh)
-AEV JK Rear Bumper
-AEV JK Tire Carrier
-AEV JK Winch Mount
-AEV Water Pump Kit for Rear Bumper
-AEV Roof Rack Platform with Full Raised Rail Kit
-Warn 9.5 CTI
-Viking 3/8 x 100 winch line black with safety thimble
-Hi-Lift 48" X-Treme Jack w/ keeper
-sPod 13-14 Wrangler with green lights and AeroForce Interceptor
-AEV CHMSL (3rd Brake Light)
-ARB Twin Air Compressor
-AEV JK Snorkel Kit with Prefilter
-AEV Rear Mud Flaps
-Change painted fenders for black ones
-MORE Hide-a-step

Audio:
-Focal Audio Upgrade
-Relocate Sub into custom box to accommodate future storage plans for rear cargo area

Communications:
-Kenwood TM-D710A Dual Band Radio w/ APRS

Electrical:
-Genesis Offroad Dual Battery Kit with two Odyssey PC-1500

Stock truck:
-6 speed
-billet with black leather
-max tow package
-connectivity group
-730N
-painted top
-side airbags
-auto AC

Towing:
-Chaser Adventure Trailer
-Mopar 7-Pin wiring kit for JK

IMAG1618.jpg

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Sounds like a good start. The aev springs and shocks, and geometry are great but I find the rest of their stuff overpriced personally. Check out the expedition one front and rear bumpers if you're not set on AEV. Good quality, good coatings, better looking IMO and more reasonably priced.

If you use the jeep off road much you'll kill the whole front suspension/steering. Only took me a few thousand miles with the AEV 3.5" lift and 35" km2s. Now I have synergy ball joints, track bar with frame side track bar/sector shaft brace, drag link, tie rod, full suspension bolt kit. I sleeved/gusseted/trussed the front axle since they are prone to bending.

If you choose the Tom woods driveshaft, do yourself a favor and get the spicer u joints. Tom will disagree but the "good seal" joints are junk. I'm experiencing vibration problems and slop in less than 15k miles. They may be strong enough but the tolerances are crap between the caps. They seem to be slightly smaller from end to end than spicers. Some of mine are anyway. I've replaced one of his u joints with a spicer and it has reduced vibration, now I guess I'm going to foot the bill to put spicers in the other 5 joints.
Tom offered to buy his drive shafts back for what it's worth but that would be a huge pain now too!

I haven't seen any cracking in my pintler wheels, some rock rash but no cracking as of yet. What does piss me off is that mine don't fit like hub centric wheels should. Don't know if its the wheels or the 2012+ jk, but mine are lug centric. Most aftermarket are, which is fine, but aev sells them as hub centric.

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Added the stock truck option list. Wasn't easy to find this exact build out across the entire country. I was surprised at the lack of fully loaded Rubicons in the country. Also very few AEV builds were fully loaded. Most of them seemed to be missing something like 730N or something else.

WininUtah

Adventurer
Congratulations, I'll be keeping an eye on this, too. I'm starting a similar build, probably in a month or so.

Win

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Today we started moving the stock sub out to make room for the rear drawer system and slide out parter stove and fridge. When done we will have a completely factory looking sub placement that is going to sound amazing. ; )
Palmaz Rubi.jpg

When done it will look something like this.
DSC_0046.jpg

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
What's your plan for the sub?
My rubicon is fully loaded, equipped like yours. Minus leather, plus heated seats and mirrors. My money has gone mostly into suspension and steering, and the j30. I would like the drawer/fridge setup later as well and have been thinking about moving/replacing the subwoofer.

HeliNomad

Adventurer
What's your plan for the sub?
My rubicon is fully loaded, equipped like yours. Minus leather, plus heated seats and mirrors. My money has gone mostly into suspension and steering, and the j30. I would like the drawer/fridge setup later as well and have been thinking about moving/replacing the subwoofer.

Oh the AEV stuff is coming next week. Stay tuned. The entire audio system is getting upgraded to a top line 900W Focal system.

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Not sure if you will need this, but the rear carpet out of the older JK's is a close color match. It will cover the void that you now have with the stock speaker moved. Craigslist and other Jeep forums should provide you with someone selling some.

Thank you. We actually sourced the panels from a black interior sport that doesn't have the rear sub. When we are done the panels will look stock. Also the rear carpet is removed when the drawer and slide out system is installed.

Last edited:

HeliNomad

Adventurer
I'm surprised that with the trailer, that you'd want a kitchen out the back of the JK.

Haha. Well said...however it's not the greatest to cook where you sleep. Your roof top tent smelling like food sucks. It's a minor investment to just try it out. Of course I will report back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles