2014 F350 6.2 idle hours advice

MR. ED

Observer
Hey everyone, I'm looking at new to me truck. It was a fleet truck has 40k miles, 3700 engine hours, and 2500 engine idle hours. I've done the numbers game and Googled it all up but still on the fence. Is this too many idle hours? Truck's clean and doesn't rattle-yet. My F150 is too small for me.
On a side note-I would sell it pretty cheap instead of giving it to the dealer. Thanks

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Nope. My work truck is the same way. If you buy a fleet truck, you want to see idle hours being very, very high.

I make 4 stops a day, plus a stop for fuel, and lunch. I only shutdown for fuel. So my truck only has one cold start every day, not 6. Would you rather see low idle hours and 6-7 cold starts every day? The only thing, that I can think of, that gets more wear from idling, is the fuel filter and fuel pump. It's not uncommon for me to drive 4 hours every day, and work (while truck idles) 4-5 hours.

We use our trucks as an office, need heat and AC to keep techs safe, and there's multiple computers and phones charging in the truck.

MR. ED

Observer
Thank you for the quick response. So you wouldn't have an issue buying this truck? Just for fun I went and drove a 17 and 18. WOW. Champagne taste, beer budget. Any other info/advice is appreciated. Just dove into the fleet realm and know nothing. Thanks again

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
No issue with idle time at all. When my work truck is turned in at 200k, I'll have the record for idle time. I'd look under the truck. Dents in skid plates? Is the trans nice and clean, or covered in goo?

Service trucks, ironically don't get serviced. So download the manual. If it says timing chains and tensioners at 150k miles, I can guarantee they weren't done and will need done. Since service trucks get used often every day except weekends, they tend to have far better reliability than what consumers deal with. We keep our trucks for 200k, and maintain nothing but brakes and tires. Expect high mileage service trucks to need some joints and tie rods.

If you can swing a 2017, don't look back. Mine is just an XL Fx4 and it's quite nice.

The early 6.2's had a bad batch of valve springs or guides and would blow up exactly when the warranty expired. I think by the end of 2015 that was fixed. 5w30 is the correct oil, ignore the 5w20 on the cap, if it says that. Change the oil every 3-5k. I don't buy into 7.5k intervals at all. You can use 10w30 to tow in the summer. And use high octane fuel in the summer, if it's a flex fuel yellow gas cap truck.

Don't bottom out and bash the exhaust. The 6.2 will bust the header bolts and leak. GM has the same issues. Some people have even managed to crack the headers.

The 2015 grab handles for climbing in, won't support a 230# guy. If I was evil, I'd grab one rip it out, fall on my ********, and sue Ford. Those handles should have a cable or something so they can't just rip free.

The E-lockers are sweet. Absolutely get one of those if you can.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke