2014 4Runner TE "Momma Bear" Build

stringtwelve

Observer
Good call, I'll check into those.

In other news the Gobi rack finally arrived:
20150407_202131.jpg

Took 6 weeks instead of the 3 to 4 they projected. They also forgot to include the spare tire holder. Oh and I never received a confirmation email or invoice for my order which is a bummer... I heard so many good things about them, which is why I bought their rack. I guess every good company let's one slip through the cracks every now and then. Guess I'll see if I can get a hold of Sandra in the morning to see where my attachment is. :(

MinchYota

With the icon lift and after adding the spacers on the 275/70s did you have any fender clearing issues or rubbing at all due to the spacers? Rig looks awesome btw!

stringtwelve

Observer
Here's a few updated pictures from our recent Colorado trip. Momma Bear was busy hitting Cinnamon Pass, Engineer Pass, Mineral Creek Trail, Poughkeepsie Gulch, Hurricane Pass, Ophir Pass, Imogene Pass, and Black Bear Pass (Half trail since it was closed).
Future plans are LED rack lights, skid plates, and front bumper and winch. Not in any hurry though... gotta spend some time on the Beast.

20150710_103958.jpg

DSC_0055.JPG

20150713_162053.jpg

Adventurous

Explorer
How'd you do on Poughkeepsie? Everything I read about it says its the most technically difficult trail in the area and a lift, biggish tires, and skid plates are a must.

Awesome 4runner by the way. If sleeping in the bed wasn't a requirement I would most certainly have given those a hard look. It's an impressive platform for sure.

stringtwelve

Observer
I found the stock skid plates a few times on the trail up to The Wall. Nothing terrible though. We did opt to winch up the wall just for safety sake, though I'm fairly sure I could have made it up without one. There was one spot on the easiest line that had about a 2' rock face that the right rear was hanging on. Once the winch got me over that, the lockers and traction control did the rest.

Honestly, the worst spot was another mile or so up the trail where it was still a slushy, snowy mess on a set of switchbacks. We had to unload the passengers and put the pedal to the floor to get everyone up. I suggest a decent lift for anyone attempting the trail though. And make sure you take your time picking a line through some of the rougher areas just to save the undercarriage.

Here's a quick video of the Wall. (no gopro's were harmed in the making of this video)
[video]https://youtu.be/fFHsN6TOxAo[/video]

Thanks for the kudos on the rig! We're loving it!

Watt maker

Were you there for the FJ Summit? I remember seeing a 4runner just like that. I was in my black 4th gen 4runner. I'm planning on running Black Bear and Poughkeepsie next year hopefully. We ran Engineer, Cinnamon, Imogene, Ophir, California, and Corkscrew this year. My 4runner did pretty good but I really want to add a locker, taller tires, and just a little more lift to it. Oh, and bumpers and a winch.

stringtwelve

Observer
I was there just before the summit. A bunch of folks were rolling in the day we were rolling out. Guess that was poor planning on my part! Going to have to fix that for next year...

I like both of your builds! Highly recommend at least 3" lift and 33's for Poughkeepsie if you make a run at it next year. Don't be afraid to winch the wall... you can still retain your man-card.

dahenley

how do you like the rack and the rear ladder?
Im thinking of upgrading my wifes vehicle to a 5th gen 4 runner, and many of your upgrades have been floating around in my head? any thing you would change or add if you could (this far into your adventure)

thanks!

stringtwelve

Observer
The quality and stability of the Gobi has been outstanding, so I highly recommend it for anyone with kids and/or a lot of gear. The ladder is surprisingly stout and handles my 200lb frame plus whatever gear I'm climbing with without any flex. Only things I would change about the build would be have Gobi extend the grating over the entire bottom of the rack, rather that have it segmented. Also, I would get the upgraded tail gate struts to handle the weight of the ladder in colder weather.

Bumpers and a winch are high on the wishlist but honestly we've only needed it once at Poughkeepsie, so the weight and cost trade off doesn't make sense for us right now.

Can't praise this 5th gen enough. Toyota has done a great job with this platform. You can have a ton of fun with quality tires and lift; everything else just adds to the convenience factor.

codybutz

Observer
Great build! We just picked up an SR5 (needed the third row). Also looking at the Gobi rack, (who knew these darn kids come with so much stuff!), glad to hear you like it.

lathamb

Observer
I was there just before the summit. A bunch of folks were rolling in the day we were rolling out. Guess that was poor planning on my part! Going to have to fix that for next year...

I like both of your builds! Highly recommend at least 3" lift and 33's for Poughkeepsie if you make a run at it next year. Don't be afraid to winch the wall... you can still retain your man-card.

We were there that same week. We just did the Alpine Loop (Cinnimon/Engineer Passes). Coming from Dallas, 39 degrees and sleet at the top of Engineer Pass was pleasantly shocking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles