2014 4Runner TE "Momma Bear" Build

jicko

Hey, are you over on T4r.org?

I am running a Gobi rack group buy and and ARB 20% off TODAY.

Hope that you are there to take advantage of those.

Your wife's ride is sick.

stringtwelve

Observer
Really like those BB sliders. I am getting the same ones for my 2010 TE.

You'll be very pleased with the quality and fit! (Ordered mine bare and painted them myself so no idea on their powder coating.)

Hey, are you over on T4r.org?

I am running a Gobi rack group buy and and ARB 20% off TODAY.

Hope that you are there to take advantage of those.

Your wife's ride is sick.

Already ordered the Gobi last week. Thanks for the tip on the discount, too bad I already ordered my fridge! Could have saved a bundle...
Glad you like the build.

Where were the sand pics taken?....looks fun!

That is in southeastern New Mexico at the Mescalero Dunes. 4Runner is awesome in the sand and puts a few jeeps to shame. ;)

stringtwelve

Observer
ICONs Failed

Well I may be retracting my positive comments on the ICON suspension... noticed this today:

20150308_185002.jpg

20150308_185009.jpg

I had only been parked for a couple of hours so they're leaking pretty bad. This is very disappointing since I have less than 5000 miles on the suspension and only mild offroading trips have been a part of that.
I'm going to look into their warranty requirements but it doesn't give me a warm-fuzzy about the future. Anyone else have issues with their ICON shocks?

9mmMike

The thing I remember about the Icons was pitting in the harsh NE climates where we use a ton-o-salt. I have Icons on my FJC with probably 30 or 40K on them. They seem OK still.
I had OME's on my 3rd gen and liked them. They looked just awful after one winter but did not leak or let me down. I have a setup from Sonoran Steel on my 5th gen. Love the quality and fit and ride but I've too few miles to comment on durability. It uses the tried and true 5100's though so I suspect it will be good.

drobb

Adventurer
Thanks for the info on the Mescalero Dunes. Bummer about your icons.....I'd be pi$$ed. Please keep us posted on Icon's response.

stringtwelve

Observer
I called Toyota of Dallas (TRDPARTS4U.com) where I purchased it to start the process. They directed me directly to ICON who I will be calling tomorrow. Can't say enough good about ToD, they were very helpful even though it wasn't their issue and even emailed me a copy of my original invoice so I wouldn't have to dig it up.

Updates to follow...

sandcrawler

Observer
I called Toyota of Dallas (TRDPARTS4U.com) where I purchased it to start the process. They directed me directly to ICON who I will be calling tomorrow. Can't say enough good about ToD, they were very helpful even though it wasn't their issue and even emailed me a copy of my original invoice so I wouldn't have to dig it up.

Updates to follow...
get a set of the ICON shin guards while you're at it to help protect those shafts from getting sandblasted. they're ridiculously exposed.

stringtwelve

Observer
Just got off the phone with ICON. I have to send in the shock for "warranty evaluation" for them to determine if it was a defect or if the unit was damaged. If it is a defect they will REBUILD the shock and send it back. No new unit, no exchange policy that keeps their customer on the road, just a rebuilt shock. Hopefully I can dig up an old shock to get me by while this evolution takes place.
Needless to say it's not the process I had hoped for after spending $2500 on a suspension system. On the positive side, there's very little search results that come up on Google with "leaking icon shocks" so hopefully mine was a fluke and a rebuild will solve the issue.

stringtwelve

Observer
A few updates on Momma Bear:

1) The ICON shock was repaired under warranty and is now back in service. The paperwork says "Warranty/Environmental" repair but no one could give me a full explanation as to what failed. I think I'm going to invest in their shock guards to keep debris from building up on the piston to avoid this problem in the future.
DSC_0150.JPG

2) Just returned from a long weekend trip to Big Bend Nation Park. The 4Runner did great but I found that running the 285/70 KM2's from the Troopy were too big when the rig was loaded. My turning radius took a big hit. I ordered and installed some Stealth 6's from SCS after the trip to utlize my 275/70 KO's. Looks like the spidertraxs spacer may need to come off but I need a trial run to check clearances with load.
They look awesome though:
20150327_185003.jpg

3) Took some time to take pics of my ARB compressor skid and quick connect method. This will allow me to throw it on either rig in the future:
20150328_165506.jpg

20150328_165616.jpg

20150328_165704.jpg

4) I've been working on perfecting my offroad survival kit... here's what it contains so far:
20150328_162830.jpg

20150328_171426.jpg

5) Did some electrical upgrades for the ARB fridge and CB. Also included some extra circuits for future items:
20150314_115254.jpg

20150314_182517.jpg

6) Last but not least is one of my favorite additions, the Overland Bound charter member emblem:
IMG_20150326_185405.jpg

Head over to http://www.overlandbound.com to check them out!

Watt maker

I like the ARB skid idea. May just have to build one myself.

What is the backspacing of your wheels? If it's 4-4.5" you shouldn't need the wheel spacers. I'm not a big fan of spacers anyway though.

City_Rider

Adventurer
Those wheels do look the part. Very nice.

How do you like your ARB fridge? I am on the hunt for one but it's always going to be a toss up between ARB and Engel.

kpd1999

A few updates on Momma Bear:

1) The ICON shock was repaired under warranty and is now back in service. The paperwork says "Warranty/Environmental" repair but no one could give me a full explanation as to what failed. I think I'm going to invest in their shock guards to keep debris from building up on the piston to avoid this problem in the future.
DSC_0150.JPG

Instead of buying their shin guards, pick up a set of generic shock boots and save a couple of hundred bucks. That's what I did on recommendation and I've had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles