2014 4Runner TE "Momma Bear" Build

stringtwelve

Observer
I just found out that the only "good" alignment shop in town isn't doing alignments right now due to their tech having back problems...
The "backup" alignment shop didn't give me any indication they would actually get to it in time. Any tips on getting the alignment close enough to drive about 300 miles to Santa Fe? It's hard to find any good service in the Permian Basin these days. Everyone who has half a brain is working in the oil field now.

kpd1999,

I'm going to drive it while before I make the decision on the spacers. I will keep you updated.

stringtwelve

Observer
Just got back from Lake City, CO after installing the Icon stage II kit. I was able to get an alignment right before we hit the road so I knew everything was within factory tolerance.

The difference in ride and handling was incredible. No more body roll, no more nose dive, and the overall feel of the 4Runner was much more positive than the factory suspension. The combination with the 275/70 BFG ATs was just right. At full flex the tires were just grazing the wheel wells, and I mean FULL FLEX. I was trying to determine if front spacers would be needed after the install but after this trip I've decided they're not needed.

Since I haven't ran any other lifts kits I can't give a comparison opinion. I went with the Icon for the ability to adjust as I add other equipment to the vehicle. My goal was more clearance, I didn't expect to end up with an incredible suspension to boot. It actually feels more stable now with 3" of lift than it was before without it.

Here's a few pics of the trip:

DSC_0333.JPG

DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0056.JPG

DSC_0206.JPG

DSC_0090.JPG

High_Country

Adventurer
It looks great man, and good to hear a positive report on your lift.

I just returned from southern CO myself a few weeks ago and ran the following trails:
Cinnamon Pass (side trip to American Basin)
Stony Pass
Corkscrew Gulch/Pass

I however did it in a 2011 Ram 2500 Crew Cab diesel 4x4. I am getting ready to order a 2015 TEP and would like to know how your 4runner did on Cinnamon and other trails (since the terrain and trail condition is very fresh in my mind). The length of my Ram is about the only thing that caused me any grief (on the switchbacks).

So, how'd she do?

stringtwelve

Observer
I've been very impressed with the 4Runner in general, both in it's stock configuration, and now with the Icon stage II lift.

As to the ground clearance; I could have taken the trails in CO in it's stock configuration but not nearly as quickly as I could with the lift. The stock suspension was very soft and would have bottomed in several places with any decent bounce. The 2" lift in rear and 3" up front alleviated this issue and firmed up the feel without being harsh.

The stock skid plates are "ok" for now but they do not hold up to "real" offroad use. I'm eventually going to upgrade to something with better coverage and a bit more strength. I plan on building and installing some sliders to replace the running boards since that's my next point of weakness.

In my opinion, a 4Runner with a 2-3" lift and quality tires will be more than sufficient for trails like those around Lake City, CO. and will give you confidence to tackle some of the most challenging areas.

P.S. I highly recommend getting a set of Staun tire deflators so you can air down to increase traction and smooth out the ride and a decent air compressor to put you back to highway pressure after the run.

kpd1999

I've been very impressed with the 4Runner in general, both in it's stock configuration, and now with the Icon stage II lift.

As to the ground clearance; I could have taken the trails in CO in it's stock configuration but not nearly as quickly as I could with the lift. The stock suspension was very soft and would have bottomed in several places with any decent bounce. The 2" lift in rear and 3" up front alleviated this issue and firmed up the feel without being harsh.

The stock skid plates are "ok" for now but they do not hold up to "real" offroad use. I'm eventually going to upgrade to something with better coverage and a bit more strength. I plan on building and installing some sliders to replace the running boards since that's my next point of weakness.

In my opinion, a 4Runner with a 2-3" lift and quality tires will be more than sufficient for trails like those around Lake City, CO. and will give you confidence to tackle some of the most challenging areas.

P.S. I highly recommend getting a set of Staun tire deflators so you can air down to increase traction and smooth out the ride and a decent air compressor to put you back to highway pressure after the run.

I agree with your assessment of the Icons. I'm loving mine and the ride - on and off road - is well worth the money.

I did pick up an RCI front aluminum skid and it came in handy the last time I was on the trail. I went with aluminum to save weight and I don't plan on doing any extreme stuff. I'll finish out the rest of the set after I pick up some Budbuilt bump out sliders. This is one expensive adventure......

Yours looks great and I'm looking forward to see how it turns out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MCM

Observer
Nice looking 5th Gen! I'm in the process of building mine (SR5, not TE), lift will be installed on Friday. I actually passed you on the Alpine Loop, I was heading up towards the American Basin/Cinnamon Pass split and you were heading down. I was in our silver 4th Gen. 4Runner. Glad you had a great trip to CO.

Cheers!

rkj__

Adventurer
Very nice. The 4Runner is one of the best vehicles currently on the market to start with. I really like the direction your mods are going. Function first.

stringtwelve

Observer
Nice looking 5th Gen! I'm in the process of building mine (SR5, not TE), lift will be installed on Friday. I actually passed you on the Alpine Loop, I was heading up towards the American Basin/Cinnamon Pass split and you were heading down. I was in our silver 4th Gen. 4Runner. Glad you had a great trip to CO.

Cheers!

Ha! Small world! You'll have to flag us down next time.
We were getting several thumbs up from the Toyota folks and slightly jealous stares from the Jeep folks. ;)

Thanks for the comments, everyone. We are having blast with this build.

9mmMike

How is this build progressing? I am considering trading in my FJ Cruiser for a 5th Gen 4Runner. I have the Icons & Camburg front control arms on the FJ and like it enough to go with the Icons again for a 4Runner. Love to see what you do for sliders and bumpers.

stringtwelve

Observer
Really not any progress to report lately. Just been enjoying her for the most part. We have a few offroad trips planned soon if the weather cooperates. Can't say enough good about the Icon suspension, I put in several hundred miles on the New Mexico backroads during my deer hunt and it performed like a dream even at 60mph+ over cattle guards. Landed like a cat ;)

stringtwelve

Observer
Swapped shoes with the Troopy... The Beast wasn't pleased but they look great on the 4R.

DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0041.JPG

Ordered a Gobi stealth rack which should be arriving in a couple weeks, hopefully in time for my Big Bend trip. Also picked up a 50 qt. ARB freezer/fridge to keep things cool.
Planning on a lightweight rear storage build with a slide out for the fridge with dividers and a top shelf for storage organization. I really wanted to get front and rear Shrockwork bumpers but the 4 month lead time is a bit much...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles