2013 Toyota 4Runner, Equipt Edition Build

Inukshuk

Guide
Just signed on a 2015 T4R Trail and read over this thread for ideas. Great write up and resource. Noted you ran at set of Falkens in 295. You mentioned some rubbing and I too can live with that but wondered how the spare tire fit. The stock tire fits very tight and is only a 265.

We won't recognize you without the FJ! Congrats on the new rig. Pictures!

Dalko43

Explorer
I apologize in advance if this question has already been covered:

Did your stock 4Runner come with KDSS? If so, did it affect your ability to modify the suspension and add a lift?

Great build thread!

sandcrawler

Observer
I apologize in advance if this question has already been covered:

Did your stock 4Runner come with KDSS? If so, did it affect your ability to modify the suspension and add a lift?

Great build thread!
you can swap out suspension and lift w/ KDSS, just changes the install process slightly is all.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Had mine done by Safari Ltd and they completed the OME lift quickly and had no issues with the KDSS. New ride is firm but actually not far from stock ride. Bumpers and winch will add weight that should put ride just about right.

toyrunner95

Explorer
Paul, This build has really given me some options about what I want to do with mine. Its nice to see a build and detailed instructions on how and why you did something and a certain way to make it look exceptionally clean. A true inspiration.

Will you be heading to the NW overland rally or whatever it is.

DavidF

Paul: Still can't get over you taking an unknown customer call from a golf course in Hawaii. Well played. Thinking I may get a 2015 TE and build it up instead of the AEV JK we discussed. So, what about that rear bumper for your rig...any leanings?

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Hi David,

Thanks for the call this morning. Great to talk shop for a while. Good luck with your dilemma. The rear bumper is the next step for the 4Runner. We are currently working with Nathan at CBI Offroad in Idaho to put together a dual swing out rear bumper. The single swing out Nathan is well known for is rock solid, but isn't compatible with my always present AT Chaser trailer. Too wide a radius to clear the nose box. Halving the radius of the swing arm does a couple things. It clears the trailer of course, but it also halves the torque on the arm. One arm will carry the spare, and one arm will carry.... something else. Still working on that one. I am quite used to opening duals, so this will work out well. Our hope is to have it in place for Cruise Moab and Overland Expo West.

Cheers,

Equipt

Paul, This build has really given me some options about what I want to do with mine. Its nice to see a build and detailed instructions on how and why you did something and a certain way to make it look exceptionally clean. A true inspiration.

Will you be heading to the NW overland rally or whatever it is.

Thanks for the kind words. I have really enjoyed the build, and getting out to used the truck. It's been a lot of fun. Yes, we are returning to the Northwest Overland Rallye this year. Come out and see us there. It will be a lot of fun.

Cheers,

D

Deleted member 67976

Slee Slider Steps, and KDSS – Part 1

Another one of the key elements for the 4Runner is protection. Protection from things that spontaneously jump out of the ground at you. Rocker panel protection was my first concern. So last March I called my friend Christo Slee at Slee Offroad to have him send me a set of his really good looking slider steps. I love the way these look. They are formed and welded components that look like they could be a factory option. They look low key, and are pretty much bomb proof. There was just one hitch.

The Issue

View attachment 183570

Christo informed me that they designed these Slider Steps based on a 5th Gen 4Runner Trail that did not have the Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS). The componentry for this electronically managed hydraulic sway bar control happens to be mounted on the outside of the drivers side frame rail. His bracketing works out great on the models without this, but not on the KDSS fitted vehicles. We discussed the barriers to mounting the steps. The passenger side step will mount right up to the frame, no problem. The driver side frame bracket would need some adjustment, and neither of us knew what was really entailed in doing this. So Christo sent me a set, and we decided to see what it would take. Life got in the way. ExPo and a month and a half in South Africa to be precise. I received the steps in March and I finally got to the project in late August. Here is what we did.

Components

View attachment 183571View attachment 183572

The kit that Slee sent me is very well made. 3/16” steel construction, powder coated in black semi gloss with separate anti slip treads. There is a main frame mounted bracket, 3 outriggers per step, and the main step itself with 2 treads per step. There are 59 sets of bolt/washer/nylock per step. These aren’t going anywhere once installed, and it is Slee quality.

Passenger Step Fitment

The passenger step was pretty straight forward. Good thing, as there are no instructions provided. The one trick to this side of the install was the 3 riv nuts that needed to be installed on the bottom of the frame. You need to match up the bracket to the frame to find the right holes, then drill out the holes the holes to fit the hardware. I ran one of the bolts in and out of the other threaded spots on the frame to clear the threads prior to mounting the bracket. The bracket and outriggers bolted right up. The step was a bit trickier though, as the slots for the hardware are now buried up between the outrigger and the step. I had to resort to the old trick of masking tape on the back end of a box wrench to align the nuts inside the outriggers. I think longer bolts clear through the step mounting and outrigger would have been a lot less frustrating. I mounted up this step first to get some experience with the product, to hopefully help with the driver side install.

View attachment 183573View attachment 183574

For anyone interested, I just had these put on my 5th gen 4Runner last week at Slee. I may be the first customer and their website is not updated yet, but they do have a 5th gen with KDSS kit now. http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/4runner_sliders.htm

Best,

Clint

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Looking forward to the rear bumper design Paul!

I really think they (CBI)do a great job. The only thing I'm not crazy about are the the holes on the corners for a set of dually type lights....not sure how functional they would be for actually seeing directly behind you. I cut in a set awhile back of the diffused single row Rigids in the plastic fascia, that throw out a ton of light directly behind you.

Are they going to relocate the trailer plug out the back? That's something that would be top of the list. I changed mine to rear facing type, but have to constantly worry when off road I don't come down off of something and tear it off.

Take care,

Equipt

Thanks Clint for letting us know about the TE capable steps. That's good to know.

Titanpat57, you make a couple good points about the light and outlet. I will definitely look into it. It would be nice to have the plug up out of the way. I am wondering if there is enough slack to make it to the bumper. Stay tuned.

Cheers,

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I'm watching this too because I plan to add bumpers on my 2015. I too agree that CBI makes a great rear bumper and their hybrid (plate and tubing) was featured in the in the Nov/Dec issue of 4WD Owner Magazine. I called CBI recently and they stated they can build to the customers specs. Also said they are working on a front bumper for the the 2014-15.

Plano26

Had mine done by Safari Ltd and they completed the OME lift quickly and had no issues with the KDSS. New ride is firm but actually not far from stock ride. Bumpers and winch will add weight that should put ride just about right.

Are you experiencing any Lean to either side? Thank you

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Yes. There was a spacer supplied that was to go on drivers side. After finishing it looked pretty level, but a few days later it had a passenger side lean. Now that I have reloaded most of my gear its sitting pretty close to level again. Or at least close enough to not stand out.

CuStOm

Adventurer
Paul, excellent build! It's been VERY helpful for me. A couple questions if you dont mind me asking them here.

I have a 2015 4runner Trail that I am building and I like this rack. On the website it shows your truck obviously, if I order the EZAK9583 kit does it come with 10 feet like in the pics? 40mm or 50mm? If someone was not interested in utilizing the racks ability for under rack table storage, how much lower do you think you could get the rack and would this then require 40mm feet?

Again, thank you very much.

Cheers,
Keith

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94