2013 Toyota 4Runner, Equipt Edition Build

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Honestly, the thought of vandalism hadn't crossed my mind. Possible, I guess. I surely hope not. There was a fair share of washboard road on the trip. South Canol Road, Dempster Highway, Top of the World Highway, Dalton Highway, OR/CA/NV backroads, Ouray FJ Summit. All in all, perhaps 2,000 miles on dirt give or take. My thoughts lead towards that the simple fact that I should have been more diligent in my maintenance. I should have checked the lug nuts at least once in a 10K trip full of off road travel. It's a line item on my travel maintenance now, I can assure you of that.

Cheers,

Your rear axle issues sound a little like Spressomons over on MUD. He kept blowing rear axle seals When his truck started weighing 8000lbs. It turned out to be the rear diff breather line. The washboard roads were creating a lot of pressure build up in the rear axle. He re tapped the breather line with a larger ID hose and that solved the problem. Might be worth looking into on your 4runner.

Paul,

Great thread. Really enjoyed reading. Am reviewing vehicles to see which one will suit our needs and the 4Runner is one of the top three. I found the comments about the vehicle and it's reliability and capabilities to be very helpful.

AxleIke

Adventurer
You are right, I am running stock UCAs. I figure that Toyota spent a small fortune designing this truck, and the UCAs on there have decades of experience behind them. Why would I change out something that works just fine as it is? The more you modify a vehicle, the more you distance it from OEM, the more you create opportunities for problems. And if you are on an extended adventure and something does go wrong, are you going to be able to source replacement parts for your specialty suspension? I am just shy of 40K on the truck with this suspension set, traveling heavy and fast on sometimes problematic roads, and have not had one issue. That is why I choose OME.

Its nice that Toyota seems to have fixed the alignment problems with the new trucks! This is making me want to sell mine and go newer more and more.

In our family we have 3 late 90's/early 2000's 4runenr's/Tacoma with OME and one with a Toytech, and all of them have castor issues. I put on Icon's to fix mine, but the others still have very bad steering wobble at highway speed despite new racks, ball joints, tie rods, etc (all OEM)... They all have castor at about 0 deg to get the camber and toe in spec to keep the tires. All of them go through upper ball joints as well.

joneseyyy

Explorer
I really enjoyed seeing your updates on the trip up through Alaska, and also appreciate you being transparent about the couple of minor (that could have been major) issues that came up for you. Lugs and diff plugs take mere minutes to check, and your sharing is a good reminder for the rest of us to check em out from time to time, especially when we're on the road. You've got many more miles of fun to come! I just crossed 103K on my 2010 on the way back from a 5,000 mile trip out West that included a fair bit of offroad in Colorado and Moab. Never skipped a beat!

mckay99

Driver Side Pocket removal?

I can add a bit to this portion, sure.

I recently bought a 5th Gen TE. I was wondering about how to get the drivers side rear pocket off of the wheel well. Does it just pull straight off? Im pulling on mine but it seems like its taking a little too much force. I don't want to force it and break it. Thanks

TexasAg

It has a couple of screws holding it down. I just broke mine off so I could store stuff in there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mckay99

Thanks for the reply..

Can you get to the screws from the outside? does yours rattle around after you broke them off?

mazatal

What does the rig weigh, with you in it, fully loaded, for 2 weeks offroad after all the mods?
Close to GVWR, over? Mods to accommodate?
thx, gary

Arktikos

Explorer
Its nice that Toyota seems to have fixed the alignment problems with the new trucks! This is making me want to sell mine and go newer more and more.

In our family we have 3 late 90's/early 2000's 4runenr's/Tacoma with OME and one with a Toytech, and all of them have castor issues. I put on Icon's to fix mine, but the others still have very bad steering wobble at highway speed despite new racks, ball joints, tie rods, etc (all OEM)... They all have castor at about 0 deg to get the camber and toe in spec to keep the tires. All of them go through upper ball joints as well.

Maybe sell the lifts and go back to stock?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles