2013 Toyota 4Runner, Equipt Edition Build

Large

First post here, actually just registered to look at your build pics. Pretty good stuff you got in here, and just to reiterate a #12 AWG is suitable for about 28 amps (120V A/C), of course there are variables you should consider like the length of the wire, and the max temp the wire could get and if it's wrapped in conduit, the list goes on. Keep up the good work, I love the 5th gen 4R.

cadrock

Hi Paul, on your Rear Hatch build did you just use a piece of 3/4" plywood as the base mounted at those 5 points and mount the rest of the gear directly to that is 1/2" screws?

Thanks!

Chris

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Yes, I used 3/4" plywood as the base and the IGT shelf. The fridge slide and IGT shelf are mounted to the base using 1/4"x20 bolts into T nuts inserted from the bottom side. The IGT shelf has small L brackets at 4 locations to hold it down. You can see the bolt heads just inside the entrance to the shelf. I did it this way for strength and to make it removable if need be.

Cheers,

cadrock

Hi Paul,

I'm about to get some tires and a similar 3" OME lift going on my 4RunnerTE.

Did you ever get a full solution to the fender rubbing? If not, any ideas for a long term fix?

Thanks! Have a great weekend all!

SmoothLC

Explorer
Wow! How'd I miss your build thread Paul? I just came across it today.

Sweet. And that water solution - as someone already wrote - genius.

I assume Adam meant CruiserFest - if so, hope to check out your rig in person.

Great pics and writeup - got me rethinking about my next vehicle.

Equipt

Thanks for the comments guys.

I am still dealing with the rubbing, and honestly it is getting a bit annoying. I have been slowly carving away at the rear plastic piece in the wheel well to see how far I need to really take it to not rub. I am not sure of the direction I will take here yet. There is the body mount chop solution that will ultimately do it. I just haven't gotten to that decision yet. So, for now, I am in denial. I will let you know as soon as I come to a conclusion. I would still get the tires I chose, if that helps.

Cheers,

Equipt

Slee Slider Steps and KDSS - Part 1

Slee Slider Steps, and KDSS – Part 1

Another one of the key elements for the 4Runner is protection. Protection from things that spontaneously jump out of the ground at you. Rocker panel protection was my first concern. So last March I called my friend Christo Slee at Slee Offroad to have him send me a set of his really good looking slider steps. I love the way these look. They are formed and welded components that look like they could be a factory option. They look low key, and are pretty much bomb proof. There was just one hitch.

The Issue

KDSS Issue.JPG

Christo informed me that they designed these Slider Steps based on a 5th Gen 4Runner Trail that did not have the Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS). The componentry for this electronically managed hydraulic sway bar control happens to be mounted on the outside of the drivers side frame rail. His bracketing works out great on the models without this, but not on the KDSS fitted vehicles. We discussed the barriers to mounting the steps. The passenger side step will mount right up to the frame, no problem. The driver side frame bracket would need some adjustment, and neither of us knew what was really entailed in doing this. So Christo sent me a set, and we decided to see what it would take. Life got in the way. ExPo and a month and a half in South Africa to be precise. I received the steps in March and I finally got to the project in late August. Here is what we did.

Components

Slee Steps parts.JPGSlee Treads.JPG

The kit that Slee sent me is very well made. 3/16” steel construction, powder coated in black semi gloss with separate anti slip treads. There is a main frame mounted bracket, 3 outriggers per step, and the main step itself with 2 treads per step. There are 59 sets of bolt/washer/nylock per step. These aren’t going anywhere once installed, and it is Slee quality.

Passenger Step Fitment

The passenger step was pretty straight forward. Good thing, as there are no instructions provided. The one trick to this side of the install was the 3 riv nuts that needed to be installed on the bottom of the frame. You need to match up the bracket to the frame to find the right holes, then drill out the holes the holes to fit the hardware. I ran one of the bolts in and out of the other threaded spots on the frame to clear the threads prior to mounting the bracket. The bracket and outriggers bolted right up. The step was a bit trickier though, as the slots for the hardware are now buried up between the outrigger and the step. I had to resort to the old trick of masking tape on the back end of a box wrench to align the nuts inside the outriggers. I think longer bolts clear through the step mounting and outrigger would have been a lot less frustrating. I mounted up this step first to get some experience with the product, to hopefully help with the driver side install.

PS Bracket Mounted.JPGPS Outriggers Mounted.JPG

Equipt

Slee Slider Steps, and KDSS – Part 2

Slee Slider Steps, and KDSS – Part 2

Driver Step Fitment

OK, here is where the fun starts. First, moving the KDSS system was not an option. It would be a major project to relocate and plumb this, and I was not comfortable with this at all. After looking at all the options for some time, it was concluded that we should leave the step itself alone at all costs as well. Modifying it would mean plasma cutting the step apart, welding it back together and re-powder coating. No good. So all the modifications would be to the frame bracket and outriggers. All the expected holes for the provided bracket were there, except for the hard tubing lines and manifold for the KDSS being directly in the way of the center and rear outriggers and mounting. We started by cutting the front of the bracket that included the front outrigger mount off. We did so at a spot that retained 4 mounting holes to the frame.

Drivers side bracket pre mod.JPGDrivers Side Front Bracket.JPG

The remainder of the frame bracket was shortened on the front end, and the center outrigger mount was moved back about 2-1/2”. We were able to leave the rear outrigger mount in it’s original location. This adjustment let us clear the hydraulic manifold, but we still had to deal with the hydraulic lines that run parallel to the frame clear back to the rear wheel well.

DS Front Bracket Mounted.JPGDS Rear Bracket modified.JPGDS Outriggers modified.JPGDS Center Outrigger Mounted.JPGDS Rear Outrigger Mounted.JPG

The hydraulic line ran high on the frame in the center section, the lowered on the frame at they made their way back. The front outrigger mount and outrigger were cut to allow the lines to pass above them. The rear outrigger mount and outrigger were notched to accommodate the lines passing through them. Each of the mounts retained 3 of the 5 original mounting locations per mount, 2 vertical and 1 in the bottom. The center outrigger, being shifter back a bit, now has spacers and 8” grade 8 bolts attaching it to the center mounting points inside the step. All the outriggers slide into the back of the step roughly 3”, and are a very tight tolerance. I am comfortable that this will be plenty of support for this vehicle.

Results

DS Step Done.JPGPS Step Done.JPG

The driver side frame bracket is a long ways from where it started. But with a little modification we were able to retain the front and rear outrigger mounting locations, work around the KDSS and support the center quite well. This modification took a long time to complete, but I am very happy with the outcome. You can see all the parts of the Slee Slider Steps in more detail on the Slee Offroad site here.

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/4runner_sliders.htm

Cheers,

ives

I had emailed Christo about these sliders a couple months ago. I was curious if he had a ETA for the KDSS compliant sliders. Long story short, it did not look like he had plans anytime soon. Glad to see there is an option for people who have KDSS that want to run these sliders.

Moment Rider

Paul! Hope your doing well in Arizona. Your rig is coming along nicely.

I just purchased a silver TE and will be using yours as a model for my build.....its gonna take me a few years to catch up but I will get there eventually. Hit me up when you're back in Utah ;)
Tim York

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles