2013 Subaru Forester (SH9 3rd Gen) going the Expedition route

machine1

Explorer
Made a visit to Austin this weekend. The guys wanted to ride ATV's at Hidden Falls adventure park, I was the support vehicle.

14822209885_6810d8e3a3_b.jpg

14635496220_f03531fb44_b.jpg

Parked in front of our condo on 6th Street.

14635535849_b03a3080d5_b.jpg

Gators

i'm thinking of getting a 2015 outback as a roadtrip/expedition car in several months
still worrying about the cvt transmission, pity subaru don't provide AT options anymore

EMrider

Explorer
i'm thinking of getting a 2015 outback as a roadtrip/expedition car in several months
still worrying about the cvt transmission, pity subaru don't provide AT options anymore

The CV has been a huge success for Subaru. So much so that it is becoming the standard tranny on most of their models.

I have a 2010 OB, which was the CVs first model year. At first, I was a skeptic, but have really grown to like the CV and would get another without hesitation.

R

Gators

The CV has been a huge success for Subaru. So much so that it is becoming the standard tranny on most of their models.

I have a 2010 OB, which was the CVs first model year. At first, I was a skeptic, but have really grown to like the CV and would get another without hesitation.

R

Thanks R! I'm kind of deciding between an OB and a cherokee trailhawk (not grand cherokee, GC is too expensive), cherokee is obviously more offroad ready right away, but OB is so much better in every other aspect (cargo space, eyesight, fuel efficiency, etc)

If I get the OB, I think I will need to install the skid plates, new suspension, new tires and also one or two full size spare tires, probably 3000 bucks to make it equivalent as a stock cherokee trailhawk
then another several grand on push bar, off road lights, rear bar, etc and etc

anyway, my mind is set on OB for now, still have several months ahead to change my mind :)

machine1

Explorer
We're going to be doing a comparison between the Cherokee TH and the 2014-15 Forester this weekend at the off-road park. We will see how they handle the same trails.

EMrider

Explorer
Thanks R! I'm kind of deciding between an OB and a cherokee trailhawk (not grand cherokee, GC is too expensive), cherokee is obviously more offroad ready right away, but OB is so much better in every other aspect (cargo space, eyesight, fuel efficiency, etc)

If I get the OB, I think I will need to install the skid plates, new suspension, new tires and also one or two full size spare tires, probably 3000 bucks to make it equivalent as a stock cherokee trailhawk
then another several grand on push bar, off road lights, rear bar, etc and etc

anyway, my mind is set on OB for now, still have several months ahead to change my mind :)

The new Cherokee looks like a great small expo vehicle.

A problem with the OB is that there are very few off road oriented mods available. My guess is that upgrading the capability of the OB to that of the Cherokee will be difficult; and if doable, quite expensive and complex.

That said, it is good to have more choices.

R

frank84

Observer
Nice pictures! Was the Crosstrek a CVT or manual? Mine is manual and I'd burn up the clutch in terrain like that. How'd the front bumper survive?

I'm not sure you can upgrade an OB to match a trailhawk cherokee off road. The low range and rear locker will be tough to beat. But if you don't venture into terrain that requires that kind of hardware then the suburu might work out well for you. Also, by the time you're done modifying the subaru to try to get it up to speed with the trailhawk you will have lost some of the better handling and fuel efficiency.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz