2013 Pathfinder

haven

Expedition Leader
2013Pathfinder.jpg

Nissan has posted the first photos of the 2013 Pathfinder on its Facebook page. For 2013, Pathfinder makes the transition from body on frame construction (shared with the Frontier and Titan pickups) to unibody construction. This provides lighter weight and, with independent rear suspension, more cargo room and space for a decent size third row of seats. Nissan's powerful but not particularly fuel efficient V6 engine is standard, and AWD is available.

No spec sheet is available yet. Judging from the photo, the new Pathfinder looks to be the same size as a Chevy Traverse, Buick Enclave, Dodge Durango, Toyota Highlander or Mazda CX-9. It appears to be a little larger than a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Ford Explorer.

More information about the Pathfinder here http://www.nissanusa.com/all-new-pathfinder/en/#|all-features

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Man, first the Trailblazer, then the Explorer.... now the Pathfinder. What's next a CUV 4Runner? I'm not a fan of this trend... Leave us some BOF midsize utility vehicles...

stioc

Expedition Leader
As a unibody Pathfinder owner I must admit the 2013 pathy looks like a minivan than an SUV. As someone else mentioned the trend is now unibody/IFS/IRS - heck even the mighty Jeep Grand Cherokee is now IFS/IRS - on a unibody. Believe me I didn't like this trend either- until I owned a Honda Ridgeline. Once you got inside it was a lifted Honda Accord (quiet, comfortable, smooth) yet I took it to many offroad trails (mild to moderae) with only a 2" spacer lift with impressive results. The traction from the IRS was far better than a solid axle and once the elocker based 4wd was engaged that thing would climb just about anything. The only place it was limited was when extreme articulation was needed- the suspension travel just wasn't there for those situations. But I doubt 90% of the owners will ever go places that required that. Anyway, I hope the 4Runners and the xterras continue to carry the torch for the traditional design which has its own advantages when the going gets tough.

haven

Expedition Leader
I agree with russelh. Nissan is in business to sell cars, not to make offroad vehicles. They moved the Pathfinder (and Infiniti JX) to a car-based platform that is more comfortable and fuel efficient to make it relevant and competitive in today's marketplace. I'm curious to see the base price for the new Pathfinder. The JX starts at $40K, $43K with all wheel drive.

The Frontier and XTerra continue for 2013. Production shifts from Tennessee to a plant in Canton, Mississippi. I expect most changes this year will be cosmetic or adding electronics to the interior. The Titan is scheduled for a major redesign in 2014, the Frontier in 2015. The XTerra is on death watch (again).

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
2013Pathfinder.jpg

Nissan has posted the first photos of the 2013 Pathfinder on its Facebook page. For 2013, Pathfinder makes the transition from body on frame construction (shared with the Frontier and Titan pickups) to unibody construction. This provides lighter weight and, with independent rear suspension, more cargo room and space for a decent size third row of seats. Nissan's powerful but not particularly fuel efficient V6 engine is standard, and AWD is available.

No spec sheet is available yet.
Judging from the photo, the new Pathfinder looks to be the same size as a Chevy Traverse, Buick Enclave, Dodge Durango, Toyota Highlander or Mazda CX-9. It appears to be a little larger than a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Ford Explorer.

More information about the Pathfinder here http://www.nissanusa.com/all-new-pathfinder/en/#|all-features

Look at the Infinity JX... Same SUV... and the MPGs are just bad... about the same as the old Body on frame...

They are in final production testing as of now and will start full production in Sept..

jpvm

Explorer
A once capable off roader (WD21) is now on the same league as a Hyundai Santa Fe or Kia Sorento .... say good by to another off roader , hello to a mall cruiser , kiddies hauler. I'm not Crocodile Dundee but we still deserve a 4x4 wagon capable of crossing a creek and climb on certian rocks , not another CAR .... thank God I have a Nissan Patrol, one of the last ones of a breed.... :(:safari-rig:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Always loved and envied the Patrols since we never got them here, do they not make them anymore? that's a real shame.

But as I tried to state before, while solid axles and shift levers are still the real deal, some newer platforms are quite capable...such as the Jeep Grand Cherokee, they come in the trail rated version still. And btw the Kia Sorento is one of the more capable ones especially when paired with the available locker and a slight lift.

jpvm

Explorer
Always loved and envied the Patrols since we never got them here, do they not make them anymore? that's a real shame.

But as I tried to state before, while solid axles and shift levers are still the real deal, some newer platforms are quite capable...such as the Jeep Grand Cherokee, they come in the trail rated version still. And btw the Kia Sorento is one of the more capable ones especially when paired with the available locker and a slight lift.

Patrols are now a new big V8 AWD SUV in the line of a Sequoia, X5, Land Rover Vogue, etc. Its unibody, full auto , full hydropneumatic suspensioned and full luxury boat , not a resemblance of the Solid Axle coils tradition. Really an auto maker follows the market trends and must obey what the demand needs , and what the public really buys, but this really should not be the grave for off roaders, they could be still be built if you want to buy one, like Toyota, in certain markets they still sell for example the Troopcarrier Toyota Land Cruiser.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
A once capable off roader (WD21) is now on the same league as a Hyundai Santa Fe or Kia Sorento .... say good by to another off roader , hello to a mall cruiser , kiddies hauler. I'm not Crocodile Dundee but we still deserve a 4x4 wagon capable of crossing a creek and climb on certian rocks , not another CAR .... thank God I have a Nissan Patrol, one of the last ones of a breed.... :(:safari-rig:
Agreed. There is enough of the CUV mallcrawlers out there. Why couldn't they have made this car the new Rogue or Murano and just restyled the Pathfinder.

ps...jealous of your Patrol....

Patrols are now a new big V8 AWD SUV in the line of a Sequoia, X5, Land Rover Vogue, etc. Its unibody, full auto , full hydropneumatic suspensioned and full luxury boat , not a resemblance of the Solid Axle coils tradition. Really an auto maker follows the market trends and must obey what the demand needs , and what the public really buys, but this really should not be the grave for off roaders, they could be still be built if you want to buy one, like Toyota, in certain markets they still sell for example the Troopcarrier Toyota Land Cruiser.

Exactly. There is still a buyer for this type of vehicle. If the Xterra goes, what's left? The 4Runner? Okay....and the JK.....

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
I look at it like this...

You had 2 SUV's that sorta filled the same market.

The Pathy: Age group - 35- 50
Long lasting name
Buyers built in due to the name.

The Xterra: Age group - 22-35
Outdoors
Off road

With 2 SUVs that basically do the same thing one needed to be shifted into this new market. Mid to large size SUVs
I feel like the Armadas days are numbered.. With the pathy going a little larger it leave the Xterras mid size class alone.

And we all know how car companies love to build a few models off one platform. Pathy / JX Xterra/ Frontier

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I look at it like this...

You had 2 SUV's that sorta filled the same market.

The Pathy: Age group - 35- 50
Long lasting name
Buyers built in due to the name.

The Xterra: Age group - 22-35
Outdoors
Off road

With 2 SUVs that basically do the same thing one needed to be shifted into this new market. Mid to large size SUVs
I feel like the Armadas days are numbered.. With the pathy going a little larger it leave the Xterras mid size class alone.

And we all know how car companies love to build a few models off one platform. Pathy / JX Xterra/ Frontier

But, they already had the Juke, Rogue and Murano to fufill the CUV needs....

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
I seen one of the 2013 Pathfinders today... Since they are close to production the engineers will drive them around Smyrna. I was heading the wrong way or i would have snapped a pix.

Funny thing was this... As I was staring at the Pathy.. He was staring at my Xterra lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles