2013 ford transit connect or "our minimalist camper"

southpier

Expedition Leader
i really enjoy the "how much can we do for less" philosophy here.

is it a distortion in the picture, or does the spigot not quite reach the sink?

lqhikers

Adventurer
frank,
counter top is just standard formica counter top from home depot bought a damaged
one for $8 and cut it down.(left over from my 2008 ford van build!)
platform base is just particle board painted on one side and indoor/outdoor carpet glued
on other side.

except for windows,roof vent,power panel everything else i had laying around (i do not throw anything away!)

Les,lqhikers

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi Les,

Got it, thanks ! :)

Well done :D

frank,
counter top is just standard formica counter top from home depot bought a damaged
one for $8 and cut it down.(left over from my 2008 ford van build!)
platform base is just particle board painted on one side and indoor/outdoor carpet glued
on other side.

You are my hero ! ! ! :chef:

except for windows,roof vent,power panel everything else i had laying around (i do not throw anything away!)

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Such a neat rig. These are becoming REALLY popular with the DH/AM Mtn. Bike crowd as you can stow the bikes inside and still sleep in it/haul tons of gear to races etc. They're kind of the "mini-sprinter" aye. The First time I saw these were coming out a few years ago, I thought "wouldn't it be great if you could drop one on a 4wd Ranger chassis???" I'd love to see a 4wd conversion, but stock they still look like a neat rig that put utility over silly styling (although they still look very stylish) which has been Fords downfall more then a few times in the past ("jellybean era" F150/Taurus anyone :wretch: ).

Cheers

Dave

BajaRacer

hey nice new camper, I've seen that 4x4 tiger bengal you had, I am just down washington street from you in bermuda dunes. I am in the process of building my 4x4 camper now.

BajaRacer

I dont want to thread jack ....but I am doing

a 2000 ford f250 4x4, I am at a tossing point from a slide in pop up camper or using a back half of a ford excursion in place of my 6 foot bed and then adding a RTT to it.

lqhikers

Adventurer
bajaracer,
slidein pop up campers are proven and work so well.
i have had 4 wheel pop up in the past and wish i had kept it as a stand by
for when i'm building or changing rigs!

Les,lqhikers

lqhikers

Adventurer
transit up date

just returned from a week in the mountains.

added a awning (home made) glad we had it for it rained 4 out of seven days!

stopped in the Alabama Hills out side of lone pine really cool for this time of year +rain.

spent a few days on the back side of Grant lake,also some rain.

you can see in picture we also made net cover for front windows so as to keep bugs out
when sleeping but letting air flow.

mpg for trip over 28 i'm loving it!

Les,lqhikers

Attachments

• P1020228.JPG
    P1020228.JPG
    355.9 KB · Views: 196
  • P1020238.JPG
    P1020238.JPG
    283.5 KB · Views: 174
  • P1020235.JPG
    P1020235.JPG
    266.6 KB · Views: 155
  • P1020232.JPG
    P1020232.JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 169

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Love it! When I first saw a Transit Connect, I thought it'd be a neat mini camper.

Andy

This is so my new favorite build!

I totally love these vans and am so excited to see one here, especially such a nice one. :)

+1 on this.

I first saw CDV's (Car-Derived Vans) in Europe in the 1980s and thought they were very cool conceptually. Couldn't understand why we didn't get them in the US but of course, gas was cheap back then so nobody wanted them.

I have to admit, I've always loved panel trucks and sedan deliveries, and the Transit is basically a small panel or SD.

Another one that interests me (surprised I haven't seen any here on ExPo) is the Chevy HHR and HHR Panel (which is really more of a sedan delivery than a panel.)

Quick question: Are there rear seats in this? I think this would be an awesome vehicle if it could be fitted with removable rear seats so you could use it to haul passengers when you are at home and then convert it to a modular camper.

Also, I can't help but think that there is probably a way for Ford to add AWD to this which would greatly improve its utility as a camper.

My hope is that these will catch on. With gas prices staying high, they seem perfectly timed on the market.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
One thing that surprises me about these is the solid rear axle. Maybe it's because the vehicle is so top heavy it lessens the chance of a rollover? I don't know but it seems really cheap these days to not have IRS. Reminds me of the old Dodge minivans from the 80's with their solid I beam rear axles.

lqhikers

Adventurer
answer for martinjmpr.

the transit comes in 3 models,the base xl does not have cruise control,
ours is the xlt comes with cruise,power windows,door locks abs,etc.

you can get the wagon model which has removable rear seats,windows all around
thats the basic difference.

remember this is a work truck so solid axle in rear is fine,we did not buy it for
handeling,but it does not feel top heavy at all.

the vans have no windows and the panels that replace windows are not metal!
do not know what they are but magnetic lights will not stick.

the other models you talked about would not come close as there is no where near the
head room, space that transit has.

when you look under one you will be surprised how everything is tucked up to give good clearance
maybe because they are made in Turkey for there roads/use.

Les,lqhikers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles