2013 F150 FX4 Family Hauler

Grassland

I thought ford had a TSB about the intercooler years ago, that was basically drill a hole in it to drain condensation.
On a long highway drive with low load you would get condensation and then punch it to pass and the water gets sucked in.

The guys telling you to tune first/ at same time as bolt ons and parts are correct. Listen to them.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I thought ford had a TSB about the intercooler years ago, that was basically drill a hole in it to drain condensation.
On a long highway drive with low load you would get condensation and then punch it to pass and the water gets sucked in.

The guys telling you to tune first/ at same time as bolt ons and parts are correct. Listen to them.

This got me looking into this because drilling a hole into an intercooler sounds like something you tell your newbie friend as a joke akin "HEY DONT FORGET YOUR RELATIVE BEARING GREASE!" or "blinker fluid" but damn it looks like some of these guys are doing it to mixed results. Apparently it can be 1/16th for the results. That wouldn't be big enough for any kind of boost loss and since its in a pressurized system it should never have a vacuum so suck up contaminates. Interesting.

D

Deleted member 9101

Ahhh yes... The "weep hole."

D

Deleted member 9101

This got me looking into this because drilling a hole into an intercooler sounds like something you tell your newbie friend as a joke akin "HEY DONT FORGET YOUR RELATIVE BEARING GREASE!" or "blinker fluid" but damn it looks like some of these guys are doing it to mixed results. Apparently it can be 1/16th for the results. That wouldn't be big enough for any kind of boost loss and since its in a pressurized system it should never have a vacuum so suck up contaminates. Interesting.

On my work truck, I drilled the weep hole and it let out some crud every now and then. The easiest solution is to drive the truck like a teenager.... It won't let anything accumulate in the intercooler ;-)

If you play off road you can put a sheet metal screw in the hole to seal it if you are concerned.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.

Since were making Avenger references....

QV9ZjXO.png

uscg2008

Explorer

I plan on collecting parts and getting the tunes. Then doing it all at once.

ya I just did the smallest drill bit I had. I'll throw a tiny screw in it eventually. I just want to give it a little time to drain.
I like 5 star too...but I went with Brew City due the their Highlander/Macgiver tunes not being octane specific. I do have a very aggressive 93 octane tune for the track, but I wouldn't run it on a daily basis.

Turbo adapters plus a high flow down pipe are always a better investment than an exhaust system.
are you guys able to switch between tunes on the fly or just load up the tow tune when you know you are going to tow?

D

Deleted member 9101

I plan on collecting parts and getting the tunes. Then doing it all at once.

are you guys able to switch between tunes on the fly or just load up the tow tune when you know you are going to tow?

Good plan! Just tell whom ever is setting it up for you what you bolted on and they will adjust things accordingly. You can data log it for a while and then have a revision done to get it perferct.

I wish I could change tunes whilst I was driving...haha. You have to do it ahead of time. It's pretty simple to do.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
There are SOME tuners that can change SOME profiles but you cannot make a wholesale change of the tune on the fly.

Pedal Commander is NOT a tune but its the closest thing I can think of to what some of the tuners can do. Basically change a few things on the how the truck reacts, but not for specific mods or whatever.

uscg2008

Explorer
Ya I have heard of pedal commander. Gas turners need to get in board with the shift on the fly option like a lot of diesels

D

Deleted member 9101

Ya I have heard of pedal commander. Gas turners need to get in board with the shift on the fly option like a lot of diesels

Yeah... The programming in the new ECMs is just a tad to advanced for that...lol. When you "tune" a newer vehicle, you literailly erase the opersting files and rewrite them with new ones. Can't really do that"on the fly."

uscg2008

Explorer
Yeah... The programming in the new ECMs is just a tad to advanced for that...lol. When you "tune" a newer vehicle, you literailly erase the opersting files and rewrite them with new ones. Can't really do that"on the fly."
The guys like PPEI are able to do it for diesels and they are doing it on brand new vehicles

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.

I don't actually advocate using it. It feels good for a bit but I've heard of a few horror stories. Factory throttle settings are set like that for a reason.

D

Deleted member 9101

The guys like PPEI are able to do it for diesels and they are doing it on brand new vehicles

Diesels just add more boost and fuel...thats pretty easy to do while you're driving. Gas motors have to take into account timing and a much more volatile fuel source.

I have zero problem shutting my truck down for a min or two to change a tune...its fsr better than melting a hole in a piston. ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke