2013 Chevy Express 3500 10' Cutaway Build

MStudt

Adventurer
I'm jumping backwards a little since I don't think I ever posted the electrical setup in the rear of the van. We have two 100w solar panels on the roof with a 200Ah hybrid gel battery running everything. We're using a Victron MPPT 75/15 controller, Victron shunt, and Victron Blue Smart Charger. Several Blue Sea breakers, Blue Sea blocks, Blue Sea fuses, Blue Sea fuse panel, and Blue Sea Disconnect. We also have a Victron 1000w power inverter, and will have a Victron converter once we're hooked up to the alternator.

ng8L0d.jpg

6mstai.jpg

XQogeu.jpg

86scotty

Cynic
Excellent build! I'm curious which engine your van has and how you do on fuel mileage? I'm assuming a 5.3l.

MStudt

Adventurer
Excellent build! I'm curious which engine your van has and how you do on fuel mileage? I'm assuming a 5.3l.

It's the 6.0 Vortec (aka LS). We're averaging around 9-10 mpg if my math is correct. We do have a leaking head gasket and bad o2 sensor at the moment, and I know that's messing with the mileage.

Mike

CaptainBuilt

It's the 6.0 Vortec (aka LS). We're averaging around 9-10 mpg if my math is correct. We do have a leaking head gasket and bad o2 sensor at the moment, and I know that's messing with the mileage.

Mike

I think when you replace the o2 sensor you should go ahead and add twin turbos.

Just a thought.

Love the build. I wish I would have went Chevy instead of Ford just because how easy it is to add horsepower.

4wd conversion ends up being about the same price too.

86scotty

Cynic

Mike

You are lucky to have it. There are a ton of late model Chevy box vans and work vans with the teeny 4.8 and I can't see camperizing one of those. The 6.0l is thirsty but it's durable as hell. A guy I know used to run hotshot with those and had several that went half a million with no trouble, then the only trouble was the oil pump and off they went again.

MStudt

Adventurer
You are lucky to have it. There are a ton of late model Chevy box vans and work vans with the teeny 4.8 and I can't see camperizing one of those. The 6.0l is thirsty but it's durable as hell. A guy I know used to run hotshot with those and had several that went half a million with no trouble, then the only trouble was the oil pump and off they went again.

T-stats can be a bit problematic at times. Besides that, this has been a great running van, and a lot of fun to build.

Mike

MStudt

Adventurer
I've been trying to wrap some things up before departing for our road trip on 12/23 when we head into No-Cal for a week. That means I should be dumping a lot of updates over the next couple days.

First update is small, but pretty significant. I recently purchased some insulated window and fan covers from Tourig. These are a very nice window cover that's super easy to install and use with them being held up by a few magnets. I also have them working on some custom covers for our back windows since no one seems to make anything for those.

MfujBC.jpg

8YzjhF.jpg

MStudt

Adventurer
This morning I was able to finish up the rear bumper, and just in time for our upcoming trip tomorrow. The aluminum box was a bit of a last minute idea that'll double as a work center. I'll be able to store some item in this, and have a flat work space if needed.

f4ewFo.jpg

sJ85Nz.jpg

g5avw5.jpg

ROvtRd.jpg

Yj1kBV.jpg

MStudt

Adventurer
I was wondering how the install went since I'm planning on doing the same thing in mine. The "sofa style" RV are now a little... mushy! ?

The install was very straight forward, and Sheel-mann has good instructions online that are easy to follow. They provided me with adapter plates for the rails, seat belt brackets, and all the hardware. The seats did not disappoint, even though I don't have them wired for heat yet.

Mike

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94