2013 Chancho The Tundra

RBear

First night of camping was nearly on my driveway in OC
instead we made it through Catavina B.C. and spent the first night in Bahía de Los Ángeles
I definitely recommend getting the accordion fold down ladder and optional side entrance if you get a GFC camper.

Last edited:

RBear

Locals call the mud we went through after the rains Baja Miel
aka Mexican Honey
I’m not goinIMG_4019.JPG

Last edited:

RBear

Just added the decked system which I realize is pretty vanilla for many of you true Overlander types but any feed back on specific suspension systems in particular with spring rates and leaf springs would be helpful
Right now even unladen with my normal camping and surfing gear I’m probably close to full capacity
GFC 300 + Decked system 200 + steel sliders, aluminum skid plates and bumper a 46 gallon tank.
you get the idea
any suggestions are appreciated
thx 104ADD24-BB6F-4825-8850-BCAC677CA0E1.jpeg

RBear

on a completely different Topic
I was kind of referring to this build as my Storm Trooper build do to obvious color scheme, which at the time suited well since the Tundra never really went off the 5Fwy and the truck was yet to be tested on a true trip
after our last trip my wife and I came up with Chancho aka ?
Trucks don’t talk but it seemed quite happy out in Baja with a touch of mud on it and it reminded me of the gleefully happy muddy pigs I raised in 4-H as a kid.
So now “Chancho the Tundra”

RBear

Rear seat removal on my 2013 Tundra double cab 6.5 foot bed.
Amazing amount of room back here without seats. Wasn't to complex to attach 1/2 plywood to existing mounting points and then I sprayed it with a few coats of black truck bed liner spray paint. Installed a few hooks for straps. Most of the time the Dometic CFX 40 Fridge just stays on board and now can run front to back without seats in the way. I got a Dometic PLB40 battery and Bug out solar panel from Mainline Overland. Really pleased with both. The Solar panel fits perfectly in the wind shield and almost looks like a sun shade. It will essentially keep the battery topped off while your parked and the fridge is running. IMG_0503.JPG

Last edited:

RBear

Ive seen some really nice set ups and drawers from both Goose gear and Random DIY setups but honestly giving this entire space to my wife for bedding, clothing and anything that needs to stay dry and clean in stackable boxes is really best in my mind. Modular For The Win!
Looking a little dirty need some cleaning love or more paint :)IMG_0502.JPG

Last edited:

RBear

Lesson # 87 don't buy a cheap suspension package / lift kit. Over the last 6 months I installed first the back with new leaf springs and King 2.5 Coil overs with remote reservoirs. Noticed better weight handling. But honestly handled about the same 85603F0A-ED7D-4FA8-A157-69D28C88005A.jpeg

RBear

Then the fronts went in. Wow really a big difference. Kings are money for sure but I wish I bought Kings the first time. I’d be doing a rebuild maybe by now but would have saved money I think in the long run.11BDE55D-96C5-4AA4-8A59-417E720C124A.jpeg

kanger

Observer
How do you like the TF fuel tank? Worth it?

My Tundra is just like yours ('12 w/ 4.6L). I got the 26 gal tank...hate it.

Stupidkid

How are the 35s with the 4.6? I have the same with tow package and find it slow as is, wondering how much the bigger tires would ruin it?

What suspension were you running originally?

RBear

How do you like the TF fuel tank? Worth it?

My Tundra is just like yours ('12 w/ 4.6L). I got the 26 gal tank...hate it.
the Tank is probably my favorite mod 2nd only to the GFC, sorry for the delayed response
only thing that sucks is when im on Empty i actually have about 10 gallons of fuel left so you need to remember to set your trip meter after each refuel.

RBear

Its been a while since ive posted anything but ive done I think all im gonna ever do. did 4.88 gears and the new available eaton e locker for rear only, and added these Stedi LED lights which are wired to my S POD that is specifically for the Tundra.

RBear

How are the 35s with the 4.6? I have the same with tow package and find it slow as is, wondering how much the bigger tires would ruin it?

What suspension were you running originally?
My truck is named Chancho not Speedy Gonzales lol. Its good enough for me. I certainly would not go bigger than 35s though

Originally I had Fab tech shocks which had no bypass. The guy from Full Tilt off road, Larry, told me that I toasted the shocks probably going pretty fast on the wonderful wash boards of central Baja :)

beef tits

I’m getting a transferflow in September and I’m really looking forward to not going to the gas station every third day

A 35 will definitely not fit under in the stock position
Aluminess has a nice rear option with a swing door but I’m also just considering mounting a spare in bed near the cab and only having it on board for longer on road trips and all off road trips with some ratcheting straps
I’m kinda liking the weight and cost savings on the second option

Cool build I almost did the Habitat but I’m going to be working out of my truck also and that seemed a better fit for its daily use
Front and rear locker wow that thing is a beast nice ??

35” fits. gotta relocate or sledgehammer the guides. Mine is ¼”-½” from the shackles on both sides but it does fit.

Mounting tires anywhere else is a pain to deal with. Swingout bumpers are expensive and bed space is precious.

It’s worth the 10 minutes with a sledgehammer to keep it in the stock location.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles