2012 Yukon XL 2500 Overland Build

Big50

Adventurer
Figured I should start a build for the Yukon I picked up earlier this year as a second truck. I also have a ford Raptor (build thread here). With plans to cage the Raptor in the near future, I wanted to find another vehicle capable of taking over towing duties, and with enough room for the family and my parents to join us on trips. My goal is to keep the build simple. The nice thing about the Yukon XL is there is plenty of room for the wife, son, and I to sleep inside. So this should be great for quick weekend trips or longer "expeditions". Hoping to take her out for her maiden voyage in 2 weeks.

It took me over a year to find her. 2007+ Suburban/Yukon XL 2500's with low miles are hard to come by in NorCal. When I found this one with 55,000 miles on it, I jumped on it. The previous owner had already thrown a 6" lift on it and geared it with 4.56's which is awesome. He had it setup with some 20" wheels and 33's...not my style. I quickly swapped the setup for some 17" wheels and Falken 35" Mt's.

IMG_9307 by Big5050, on Flickr

IMG_9308 by Big5050, on Flickr

IMG_9315 by Big5050, on Flickr

Next, I upgraded the shocks. The shocks that were on the truck were absolutely terrible. They came with the lift kit and were not up to the task of controlling such a big truck. I ordered up some Icon 2.5" shocks. The change in ride is night and day better.

Although, I will miss being able to pop wheelies with the blown out shocks :D

Untitled by Big5050, on Flickr

Today, I worked on the cargo management. Since this thing will be my Daily Driver/family hauler, and overland rig I want flexibility. I ended up picking up 4 large storage boxes, some chain, and carabiners. I run the chains from the factory tie downs at the rear to the mounts for the removable 3rd row seating. This will allow me to safely secure all the cargo. The other thing I have in mind is making sure it's all easily removable for sleeping. Also, the boxes are water proof which is important since the gear will sit outside the truck.

I'll get some better pics once I get it actually loaded up for a trip. Today was just a test loading. But very pleased so far with how it all fits. Picked up a 4" dense foam mattress for sleeping. Fits perfectly snug on top of the storage totes.

I also threw on a Rola roof rack this evening but it was dark so no pics yet.

Future plans are to add some offroad lighting, Wilco Offroad hitchgate for full size spare, and a skid plate. The front has no diff skid so that must be adressed pronto!

Last edited:

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Been following you on Instagram for awhile now, you need to post the low rider video!

Cool rig, if this thing progresses as fast as your raptor did you'll have a lot of updating to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Nice! That's definitely not something you see every day.

I have to confess I had no idea that there was such a thing as a 2500 Yukon XL as late as 2012. I thought all the 3/4 tons were Suburbans that were sold through fleet sales.

Big50

Adventurer
Been following you on Instagram for awhile now, you need to post the low rider video!

Cool rig, if this thing progresses as fast as your raptor did you'll have a lot of updating to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lol, I guess I should. Just updated the first post.

We'll see, Trying to not to go crazy with it but we all know how that goes. I wouldn't mind swapping out the rear leafs for some progressive springs from Atlas or Deaver.

Nice! That's definitely not something you see every day.

I have to confess I had no idea that there was such a thing as a 2500 Yukon XL as late as 2012. I thought all the 3/4 tons were Suburbans that were sold through fleet sales.

Don't blame you as they are not that common. GM made the 2500's through 2014. They no longer make them for the new model.

pharden

nice Yukon XL 2500. what are the wheels?

I ve been looking for a 3/4 ton Yukon/Suburban in the New England area. Very hard to find with low mileage

Big50

Adventurer
Got a chance to break in the new setup last weekend. Our plan was to head down Thursday after work to Sunset Beach just south of Santa Cruz and camp for the night. Friday we'd swing by the Monterey Bay Aquarium for the little guy, and then head to Prewitt Ridge for some remote camping. We were thrown a couple curve balls with Prewitt Ridge being closed and the weather. Prewitt Ridge being closed was probably a good thing as it likely would have been a **** show trying to get down with a slick and muddy trail.

We ended up nabbing the last spot at Kirk Creek Campground which ended up being great! You pretty much camp right on off the ocean on a bluff. We had planned to head to Hearst Castle Saturday and head back north after to camp at Pinnacles National Monument but with the bad weather we decided to leave Hearst Castle for another trip and stayed another day at Kirk Creek.

The bad weather did give me a chance to test the setup in those conditions. Overall, I was happy. The storage totes kept all the gear dry. Packing up and unloading was also within my expectations. Sleeping in the Yukon was great except for the last night due to my son moving all over the place and throwing elbows & knees at my wife and I lol.

While things didn't go as planned, we still had a fun adventure.

Also, the hitchgate worked great. Allows me to carry a full size spare without taking up any cargo room. Made the mistake of ordering the center mount version so I couldn't mount the Jerry can mount I got. I have the offset arm coming so I'll be able to mount 2 jerry cans.

Camp setup at Sunset

IMG_9332 by Big5050, on Flickr

IMG_9342 by Big5050, on Flickr

IMG_9344 by Big5050, on Flickr

All Packed up.
Untitled by Expedition X Offroad, on Flickr

IMG_9354 by Big5050, on Flickr

IMG_9389 by Big5050, on Flickr

Bixby Bridge on the way to Prewitt Ridge

View from Campground looking south

All cozy at camp enjoying the drizzling rain.

IMG_9501 by Big5050, on Flickr

Madmaxwell87

Observer
That's a sweet Yukon. My in-laws have that exact truck sitting in their drive way for their big trips (aka hardly gets used but gets baked in the AZ sun). Hopefully I can get my hands on it someday. I saw that shock video but didn't realize it was you.

Littlehouse

Adventurer
Wow, nice Yukon. What 6" system is it running? Pops just got rid of his 97 Sub with the 454 and got an 8.1 last month. I'm really contemplating making the switch to a newer 2500 Sub/Yukon like yours from a Silverado, but I'm afraid I'll miss the bed too much.

Big50

Adventurer
That's a sweet Yukon. My in-laws have that exact truck sitting in their drive way for their big trips (aka hardly gets used but gets baked in the AZ sun). Hopefully I can get my hands on it someday. I saw that shock video but didn't realize it was you.

thanks! Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll hand it off to you!

Wow, nice Yukon. What 6" system is it running? Pops just got rid of his 97 Sub with the 454 and got an 8.1 last month. I'm really contemplating making the switch to a newer 2500 Sub/Yukon like yours from a Silverado, but I'm afraid I'll miss the bed too much.

It's got a basic Procomp 6" kit on it. Upgraded to Icon 2.5" shocks and really changed the performance of the kit. I haven't really put it through the paces offroad yet but I ran one of their kits on my 05 F150 and beat the crap out of it. It held up fine. I do need to add some skid plates.

boss324

Observer
Sweet Suburban and love Monterey! Did you go through the Old Coast road or just took pics of the bixby bridge?

Big50

Adventurer
Sweet Suburban and love Monterey! Did you go through the Old Coast road or just took pics of the bixby bridge?

No, I do remember looking at the road when I pulled off to get the pic and thought "that looks fun...wonder where it goes". I'll be heading back there in the coming months. Good route to add to the list?

Nice truck, I forgot those were available in 3/4 ton.

Thank you sir!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz