2012 unlimited or Toyota fj

Area52

Adventurer
Jk for sure man.

Solid axles, timeless design, and the new motor.

The fj is the biggest joke Toyota has made in a while.

I'm a long time Toyota 4x4 owner with 14 Toyota rigs owned to date.

I really, really tried hard to like the FJ, but I couldn't.

In the end, I bought a JK (4th jeep), which has been awesome.

If I buy another pickup, I'll get another Tacoma.

Overall, I still consider Toyota's build quality to be better, even though I've had zero issues with the JK with 13K on the clock.

Jim

gwayms

Observer
Unlimited or fj

Thanks for all the info. I think I have decided on the 4 unlimited sport. The rubicon is a little to pricey for me and maybe not worth the extra cash. Thanks guys. I'll post up pics when I get it

tassie tiger

Ok so I'm stuck. We have always had jeeps but never a wrangler. I am about to sell my 01 xj. I have driven the new 2012 jk and they seem pretty nice. Improved motor and a little better ride but still a jeep. The fj seems. Little more comfy on long road trips. So I really just want to see what other think anout them. Whatever one I choose will be daily driver. Eventually be lifted a little and need to mount my rooftop tent for weekend camping trips with 2 dogs

Daily driver?
Comfy on long road trips?
Weekend camping trips?

Simple - If you like the looks of the FJ then go with it. You wont be dissapointed. Lets face it, its a lexus (prado down under) with a retro look body. Same Toyota quality and reliability, just cool (or fuggly) lookin, depending on your tastes.

Jeep would be the pick if you needed a harder core off roader.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

srmitchell

Observer
I'm a long time Toyota 4x4 owner with 14 Toyota rigs owned to date.

I really, really tried hard to like the FJ, but I couldn't.

In the end, I bought a JK (4th jeep), which has been awesome.

If I buy another pickup, I'll get another Tacoma.

Overall, I still consider Toyota's build quality to be better, even though I've had zero issues with the JK with 13K on the clock.

Jim

I have a biased opinion. I am I die-hard anti toyota fan.
My family has owned 7 jeeps over a course of 50 years.
-A cj2a
-2 xjs, 91, 95
-A zj, 95
-A 2008 liberty
-My current 01 xj
-My current 04 WJ.

Where I live, jeeps are second class citizens, its all rust bucket toyota trucks. (There's some nice yota dudes who I'm friends with, but 90% are rednecks)

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I have a biased opinion. I am I die-hard anti toyota fan.
My family has owned 7 jeeps over a course of 50 years.
-A cj2a
-2 xjs, 91, 95
-A zj, 95
-A 2008 liberty
-My current 01 xj
-My current 04 WJ.

Where I live, jeeps are second class citizens, its all rust bucket toyota trucks. (There's some nice yota dudes who I'm friends with, but 90% are rednecks)

Around here, most of us with decently built Toyotas or Jeeps have them as a 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th vehicle. The "rust buckets" are usually stock and belong to those who either can't afford to upgrade or folks who buy them just for transportation and drive them into the ground. Thankfully we do not have a rust problem out here and takes about 3 times as long for things to rust out as compared to other parts of the country, and annual safety inspections keep the junk ones out of our way. My Jeep is our 3rd vehicle and only sees off-road miles these days. My dream setup is a 2002ish 4-Runner Sport in forest green or silver sitting on solid axles and coil-overs with 35's under it, and supercharged of course.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I wasn't referring to driver room, I know there is lots of that as I have spent a lot of time in the left seat. I mean overall room. I haven't measured them both, but the JK FEELS way bigger overall. Don't get me wrong, I am a full on Toyota guy as I have owned 7 Land Cruisers and 9 or more (lost count) Toyota 4x4 trucks from 1980 -2003 model years. I have owned only 2 Jeeps including the JKUR we have now. I still like the JKs better than the FJ Cruiser.

To the OP... Maybe re-consider the Rubicon. For the extra few dollars per month you get a Jeep that you won't ever NEED to do anything to. With a sport you will find many parts you may want to upgrade should you choose to go off pavement more regularly, and after all, isn't that what we all want to do??

JPK

Explorer
To the OP... Maybe re-consider the Rubicon. For the extra few dollars per month you get a Jeep that you won't ever NEED to do anything to. With a sport you will find many parts you may want to upgrade should you choose to go off pavement more regularly, and after all, isn't that what we all want to do??

And the greater resale value of the Rubicon makes up for the price and some too.

What you get with the Rubicon:
Lower gears - good on and off road
New Generation D44 front axle vs, D30 front axle
Front and rear electronic lockers
4:1 transfer case, better imo, but some prefer the 2.71:1 case
Electronic QD sway bar. Allows greater suspension articulation, improves ride quality on crappy, slow gravel and dirt roads too, even if you're not looking for ultimate flex
Higher resale value

You will also get higher spring rates, which is helpful if you're planning on carrying as load. If you are planning to carry a load, also order the tow package, it will also get you the higher rated springs. The tow package, a hard or dual tops and the Rubicon package ordered together get you the highest rated springs.

If you stick with the X, get the lowest gears you can and get the tow package for the higher rate springs.

JPK

Bennyhana

Adventurer

Ha! that was reasoning I used when I tried to sell the wife on trading our truck for a Rubicon Unlimited. "See it already has everything I would have to buy seperatley if we get the cheaper one...." Now everytime I buy something to put on the Jeep she smiles and says "I thought it had everything on it?"

Laxaholic

Adventurer
After having a built jku, I would honestly go with the Fj...sure they're ugly, but you can't beat Toyota reliability. My jk had winch and bumper and both 35s and 33s over time. Even exhaust and a chip for the gutless 3.8 If your main concern is offroading, go with a jku. Just make sure you have extra time and money for repairs.

Desert Dan

Explorer
If you get a Jeep go for the Rubicon for sure!
I have never met anyone wishing they didn't have a front locker or lower gears etc.

gwayms

Observer
2012 unlimited or toyota fj

I read some of you guys got the rubicon for around 33k, I havent seen one priced near that yet. And they dont seem to want to deal on them. Give me some pointers if you have them, I will buy a rubicon for sure.
In the Rubicon it has 4:10 gears, wouldnt the rpms be a little higher on the hey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior