2012 unlimited or Toyota fj

Desert Dan

Explorer
Have you looked at the Trail Edition 4 Runner?

No stick shift but lots of other goodies and 4 doors and more space than the FJ.

udoxx

Observer
I find that having solid axles in the rough stuff keeps the pucker factor down. I haven't been off in the JKU but when I do an obstacle in my TJ it is less tippy than when doing the same obstacle in my IFS Commander.

Besides you can take go topless in the JKU and run decent sized tires with narry a lift (2.5 inches).

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
This is true, but we all know how boring those Toyota guys are!

Gee, thanks!

But really, I daily drive a '96 Land Cruiser. It has 230,000 miles on it and kicks the pants off our '11 Rubicon! If the Toyota were new I would not have bothered with the Jeep. But alas, Toyota does not offer anything in N.A. that compares with the JK. My brother owned a moderately done up FJ Cruiser. This truck is NOT a Land Cruiser. It is mini van with 4x4. I hated driving it every time I did. I will say that the Rubicon is, in my opinion the best JK by far. If Toyota brought the 70 series Land Cruiser to Nort America it would rule all factory 4x4s. Drive them both and make up your own mind:)

JPK

Explorer
I actually have a lot of time in Toyotas in Africa. As they say, the Land Rover discovered Africa, but Toyota conquered it. If they offered the turbo charged V8 diesel in a solid axle here it would rule.

Most of my time was in 5/4 ton PU's. A crew cab version would be in my garage if they offered one here, a troop carrier version in lieu of the missing crew cab would do too. They haul a ton of people and gear (at the same time) over terrain that would disassemble a Jeep. Of course, that terrain disassembled the trucks too, just not so fast I think.

Land Rovers have their plusses too, but nothing should stand in the way of a good, fun between the makes brawl!

(Thinking about it though, the oldest running vehicle I saw in Africa was a WWII Jeep.)

JPK

Last edited:

K2ZJ

Explorer
Have you ever ridden in an FJ?! It has to be one one of the worst interiors I have ever been in. No room in the back seats, anyone over 3' will be angry after 10 minutes. The seats are plastic covered with a pillow case, hard as a rock. The view out is less than an Abrams tank, there is no visibility! I feel bad for anyone that has one.

Last night I drove the JK with the new V6, very nice! I had room in the back seat, power was great, and the interior was well appointed. Not cheap plastic. My buddy, who brought it home, says that they ride even better with the AEV lift. He works for Jeep and has done a ton of AEV lifts.

If I wanted a small truck, a Tacoma is my first choice (so I am not a full Toyota hater), for an SUV I would go Grand Cherokee. But after last night, a JK might have taken the top spot!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I actually have a lot of time in Toyotas in Africa. As they say, the Land Rover discovered Africa, but Toyota conquered it. If they offered the turbo charged V8 diesel in a solid axle here it would rule.

Most of my time was in 5/4 ton PU's. A crew cab version would be in my garage if they offered one here, a troop carrier version in lieu of the missing crew cab would do too. They haul a ton of people and gear (at the same time) over terrain that would disassemble a Jeep. Of course, that terrain disassembled the trucks too, just not so fast I think.

Land Rovers have their plusses too, but nothing should stand in the way of a good, fun between the makes brawl!

(Thinking about it though, the oldest running vehicle I saw in Africa was a WWII Jeep.)

JPK

If you haven't already, read the "Democratic Republic of Congo" thread in the Completed Expeditions forum. It has 1.7 million views for a very good reason! There is a segment on why people run TLCs in Africa. The one guy tried Mitsubishi (I think), but it only lasted 3000 kms. Don't quote me on brand or kms, but it was similar!

theicecreampeople

Adventurer
lol..got the jeep guys all defensive ...lol..lol...my fj does everything i want it to ...im happy ...but jeeps are very good also ..was just at a jeep event with a friend and they rocked but most guys had to work on them in camp after trail runs ?i dont leak oil ?and a quiet ride home ,even in the texas wind ?i feel more comfy with toyota than a crysler product ...its just me ....good luck bro ,you really cant go wrong with either one ,just have fun .....

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
lol..got the jeep guys all defensive ...lol..lol...my fj does everything i want it to ...im happy ...but jeeps are very good also ..was just at a jeep event with a friend and they rocked but most guys had to work on them in camp after trail runs ?i dont leak oil ?and a quiet ride home ,even in the texas wind ?i feel more comfy with toyota than a crysler product ...its just me ....good luck bro ,you really cant go wrong with either one ,just have fun .....

Grammar and punctuation not your friend today? Sometimes when us Jeep folks actually take our rigs into the really tough spots they require repairs after, but if you go on easy stuff in your little car it's easy for you to not have any trouble or repair. I drive over stuff all the time where your little FJ wouldn't even touch the ground on any of its 4 corners, but luckily(knocks on wood) haven't broken anything due to trail abuse in the 12 years I have owned my Jeep. I don't leak oil and cruise at 80 with the A/C on all comfy in my 8-way power seats. And I know plenty of Yota guys who wrench on their rigs right next to their Jeep buddies after being out on the trail.

cruzinwyo

Observer
Jk

Here's some eye candy and some intel.
Having owned both here's some feedback
IMG_2097.jpg

1197092869_tvDLJ-L.jpg

701581003_GuhGh-S.jpg

245821394-XL.jpg
IMG_2350.jpg

2817504517_607c8ecfd5_o.jpg

1017231303_PzEjM-M.jpg

1169853068_WucUp-S.jpg

1186433137_mLzyA-S.jpg

1169065173_twNUL-S.jpg

FJ TRD- pros: smooth on road thanks to the IFS (but the JK Rubicon beats it of road and can be matched with a good set of shocks), sexy if it doesn't have a white top, better MPG, smoother when traveling at speed on wash board type roads
-cons: not user friendly for modifying (parts must be FJ specific), rarely keeps 4 tires on the ground

JK Rubicon- pros: aftermarket parts (whether expo or crawler) is endless (fuel storage, bumpers, gears,etc), 4:1 transfer case, locking front and rear diffs, sway bar disconnect...all stock, will go anywhere, the hard components (axles, gears, etc) can be beefed up.
-cons: ummmmm? better visibilty when the doors and top are off???

I test drove both back in '07, and went with the FJ......traded it in for an american made JK. Both are great rigs. Both have their limits and capabilites and you need to look at what you plan on doing with it in 5 years. I love the ability to take the doors and top off and enjoy the air, i am comforted by the solid axle dependability, wheel base is identical, height is different (JK is lower)
but ....choose what you are looking for.
DO research on both and figure out what you want the rig to be capable of (aftermarket add ons or not) in the end.

JK Unlimited Rubicon and never look back
PM me if you want specific variances between the 2! I'd be happy to help!

18seeds

Explorer
Being mostly a toyota guy I would go with the JKU. The FJ just doesn't do it for me. The FJ car i would have wanted in high school.

Nesnaitsirhc

Observer
I've owned and modified both. You won't see much support for the FJ in the Jeep section, but I found it to be a very capable vehicle. My old FJ got better mileage, had a better transmission, better seats, better ride, seemed to have a lot more interior room, and went everywhere I ever took it without a hint of trouble. With all that being said...my JKU can take its top and doors off. <end debate>

I really wish I could have them both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94