2012 unlimited or Toyota fj

gwayms

Observer
Ok so I'm stuck. We have always had jeeps but never a wrangler. I am about to sell my 01 xj. I have driven the new 2012 jk and they seem pretty nice. Improved motor and a little better ride but still a jeep. The fj seems. Little more comfy on long road trips. So I really just want to see what other think anout them. Whatever one I choose will be daily driver. Eventually be lifted a little and need to mount my rooftop tent for weekend camping trips with 2 dogs

Petro

Adventurer
definitely the JK. Looked at both the JK and FJ before buying my '09 and everytime I see an FJ I'm still glad I went JK.

srmitchell

Observer
Jk for sure man.

Solid axles, timeless design, and the new motor.

The fj is the biggest joke Toyota has made in a while.

JPK

Explorer
JKU!

When you go to lift it go with AEV. Their suspensions ride and handle better than stock and some of the geometry changes they make reduce acceleration squat, break dive and body roll as well. AEV suspensions are also designed to handle more weight than the oem suspension, but still provide that great AEV ride. Perfect.

JPK

JPK

Explorer
Nope, with an FJ you will need that extra time, patience and money.

Extra time to dig and jack the FJ out of the rocks, sand, mud or snow, patience as your buds, girlfriend, wife or kids get tired of the digging and jacking and begin to whine, money to buy the passing fellow with the Jeep a beer for pulling you're F'in Joke free.

Christ, you'd catch less crap if you tried to compare a Land Rover to a Jeep!

JPK

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
My brother just bought a new unlimited, and I am soon going to be purchasing a tacoma. I would say get the jeep if your main priority is offroad capability. Other than that get the FJ.

Timgco

Adventurer
my vote goes to the JK. Although there is quite a bit of aftermarket support for both trucks, I feel the JKU (4 door) will have more room for your 2 dogs inside along with gear that must stay dry. you can add a GOBI, Baja rack, or FrontRunner rack to support your RTT. It depends on if you will use a hardtop or softop. The JK can be built on a tight budgett or go all out. AEV and Currie both offer lifts to handle the extra weight of bumpers without a ton of sag from the springs or adding airbags. The AEV kit handles very well on road. the only part you will need to figure out is the exhaust cross-over pipe if you plan to use the AEV kit.

Lichen

Explorer
You need to post this on the Toyota forum also. Your answers will probably be just the opposite. Buy what you want, both fine vehicles.

JPK

Explorer
My brother just bought a new unlimited, and I am soon going to be purchasing a tacoma. I would say get the jeep if your main priority is offroad capability. Other than that get the FJ.

We have in our "stable" a Chevy 2500 Suburban, a Range Rover Sport, an nearly stock JKU and my nowhere near stock JKU with AEV's 4.5" suspension. Suprisingly, the best riding of all is my Jeep. It's close to the Range Rover in handling when you use the throttle to set up the Jeep (which has a Hemi in it,) but not quite as good.

If the Jeep was my daily driver I would insulate the hard top for sound and heat/cold and live happily ever after.

BTW, the exhaust loop is an issue for any lifted 2012 Jeep because of intereference between the loop and the front drive shaft on droop. The issue isn't specific to AEV - but I'd bet that they will be the first to provide a viable permanent solution.

JPK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior