2012 Toyota Tacoma. Built for long term travel

robert

Expedition Leader
Glad to see you’re keeping this thread alive. I like where you’re going with the exo-rack; it’s something I had thought about and sketched out before deciding that I’d really rather have a pop-up Westy-style camper shell. I’m assuming that you’re going to take the aluminum ladder rack off the shell?

Kind of surprised that you haven’t insulated the shell, it ought to help with the heat there but even more so with the colder climates down south if you decide to go that way.

I have to admit, while I’ve met a few paraplegics who ski and paddle, I hadn’t ever really thought about paraplegics surfing but a google search shows it’s not altogether uncommon and neither is paraplegic kitesurfing. Learn something new every day. Not to pry but I imagine the hardest part is similar to the kayakers I've met who had to compensate for not having the ability to use their hips for stabilizing the boat? Surfing is one of those things I know how to do but I’m not very good at; I know that I’ve scared myself a time or two so props for having the guts to take that on. :bowdown:

paddlequest

Adventurer
Hi Robert,

Its funny you mention the pop up camper shell as that was the other plan I had in mind. I am still more of a fan of hard sided campers so felt this was a good way for me to go. I may well purchase a Lead Dog Motorsports teardrop trailer to haul around for my camping and sleeping requirements...then the cap would become indoor foul weather cooking options and gear storage...maybe a convertable couch in there for shorter outings. I am not entirely sure about hauling a teardrop the length of Central and South America tho. Ask 4 people and get 4 different answers on the feasibility of the idea.

I am strongly thinking about insulating. I have enjoyed the exposed skeleton of the cap for hanging items and lights, fans, etc. Insulation is always an option though.

I have kayaked for years, both professionally and for personal pleasure...so my surfing is actually in a surf kayak...kinda cheating I know. Haha. I love it though and its my mental health breaks down here around work responsibilities. I am also keen to learn to kiteboard...one lad can´t have too many expensive hobbies right?

paddlequest

Adventurer
And yes...the aluminum rack is coming off....they are using it for height comparisons and measurements....or so they tell me!

paddlequest

Adventurer
More progress for this morning. I finally got an honest time frame today I think and they are now saying Tuesday or Wednesday. Again, the quality of the work they are doing is really high and worth the wait.

IMG_7423.jpg The lateral bars in for window protection, and also a platform to stand on for kayak loading, etc.

IMG_7424.jpg A little more ladder detail. It will continue all the way up to the roof basket when it gets fabricated. Its coming along...slowly slowly.

More details as it progresses!

NoahGenda

Adventurer
Oh man, it looks so good! Being removable is smart, mine is held on by 6 steel couplers in case it ever needs to come off, sliders and rear bumper are welded on though.

I like the window bars, would have considered something like that but I have windoors on each side that open up and are truly convenient to have.

Its coming along great, cant wait to see the final photos.

paddlequest

Adventurer
Thanks NoahAgenda. I am pretty happy with how its turning out myself. Mid next week it will be done and ready for adventures. At that point it will go in for a new Safari Snorkel. Going to look completely different at the end of it all...well sort of.

I strongly considered the windoors, but the whole bed of the truck is a sleeping platform, so there really is nothing to grab out of there quickly. Fast access to a pillow?? Haha. I do think they are a great product under the right circumstances tho for sure.

I am getting anxious to have it done and have my truck back!

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Very cool build! Very different than most taco builds. I love the cap and rack. I wonder if your thread isn't getting a ton of attention because of the title...not sure it's their loss.

aaen

Adventurer
Well now, i was wondering what happened to you. Good to see your alive and kicking. Post up some pics of your adventures Costa Rica and Nicaragua. I imagine you have a lot of them.

Steve

paddlequest

Adventurer
@colonal Angus, thanks for the message. I had thought about the name being a problem and even looked to see if I could change it...but can´t seem to find any info on doing that.

@aaen. Good to hear from you again. Yep! Still kicking....well as much as a wheelchair wielding paraplegic can kick! Haha. Things are going really really well...too much work, as I am sure you understand from your overseas work experiences. So therefore less adventures then I would ideally like, but I am also smart enough to know complaining is pointless!! Haha. I will post up some pics asap. I had a tragic computer failure and with it most of my photos and music...in the process of trying to limit the damage and recover as much as I can.

So, back to regularly scheduled, poorly titled programming! haha. I had the first of my, now regular, two daily visits to the shop this morning to try and pressure the team there along towards completing my rack. It is further along then last time and tantalizingly close to completion....just missing the most important part though....the actual roof basket! They are cheerfully confident I will have it at the end of the day tomorrow.

IMG_7437.jpg Ladders are now completed on both sides as are the security bars for the windows. Its looking good to me!

IMG_7440.jpg The roof basket has been begun. The aluminum you see will be removed. Not sure why its still there to be honest, but I am not the fabticator so I will leave them to it. This is the beginning of the base. It will get an expanded metal floor and then the roof basket will rise up from here. It will be built to match well with the Baja racks basket I have over the cab.

All that remains is to finish the roof basket, take it all off to finalize all the welds and details and then paint it. Its coming together! The owner tells me they have 80 lbs worth of materials in the build so far....thats lighter then I would have guessed and makes me happy.

I welcome thoughts, suggestions, criticisms, etc. ...as its getting to the point where modifications are not going to be possible...or at least more difficult to realize.

Thanks!

paddlequest

Adventurer
@bajaSurfRig can you post photos here of your rack and how the expanded metal turned out? I am due to the shop here in a couple hours to check out the progress and having a positive example would be awesome.

Thank for your your response!

BajaSurfRig

@paddlequest here is a photo of my rack. It is made of 1x steel tubing with the flooring welded on. It is reasonably light (85 lbs) but solid enough that I can cruise around up there and strap down whatever I need.

33864797400_173940c107_k.jpg
[/url]20170304_150007 by Matt Sawyer, on Flickr[/IMG]

Hope that helps!

paddlequest

Adventurer
@BajaSurfRig, thanks so much. Very nice! Is that square hole for a fan-tastic fan?

I will hopefully post photos of my completed rack in the next couple hours. I can only hope mine ends up so well built.

chunko

Observer
Awesome build! I have to do a trip like this at least once before my kids grow up and can say no.

Couple questions- how much weight has been added here? Have you had any engine or transmission issues?

paddlequest

Adventurer
Afternoon update....still moving forward and they are still saying tomorrow. I am cautiously optimistic.

The rack came off the truck this afternoon for completion of all the tack welds, fabrication of the basket up top and ultimately painting. Exciting times!!

IMG_7444.jpg Shows better detail of the lateral bars to protect the windows. I like how the one ladder vertical takes a break through the laterals for the window protection.

IMG_7445.jpg Showing me how the basket is being formed and the depth it will have. Its not super deep...thats to keep the height as low as possible. Still enough room to stash gear bags under the kayaks on travel days and contain the mattress on stary nights!

IMG_7446.jpg Proud lad sitting in front in front of my rack! It looks less Mad Max-like on the ground!

Ok, tomorrow may well be the day of completion! Then its on to snorkel install and in time a dual fuel canister carrier on the rear bumper and most likely a rear suspension upgrade to get rid of the sag in the rear end. Slowly slowly its coming together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94