2012 Toyota Tacoma. Built for long term travel

aaen

Adventurer
Damn, back at it again! I miss my years of traveling the globe, sadly mining is not as lucrative as it once was.

Keep us posted on the build and the offer still stands if you need a driving buddy. Heck you gotta pass through Nanaimo to get there anyways!!

Regards

Steve

paddlequest

Adventurer
Hey Steve,

Yep! Back at it again! Haha. I am nothing if not persistent! I am back on the island now and just got the mods on my truck done yesterday. I will do a seperate post for the changes, but meeting up in Nanaimo would be great. Send me a PM and we can coordinate.

paddlequest

Adventurer
I think the truck is almost ready to travel. Here are the changes that happened this week.

1) New Leer contractor topper with barn doors. This is going to be awesome for traveling, touring. So much more head room, much easier to add things to the interior with the exposed skeleton.

2) All Pro dual swing away rear bumper.

3) ARB 2500 awning on the passenger side of the canopy and a 1250 over the back doors of the canopy.

4) ARB 50 qt fridge. That is going (I think...but still undecided) in the back seat of the cab (passenger side). It seems smart for access during day while traveling, security, etc etc. I will look at putting in the canopy tho...as that may have advantages as well.

IMG_2235.jpg IMG_2239.jpg

Things that still need to happen this next week before departure:

- second battery in the truck for the lights, fridge, fans etc
- Lighting in the canopy. Not sure if I will go battery operated LEDs or hardwire. Again, advantages to both. My available time may make that decision for me!!
- Build a bed/ storage platform. This will have to be super simple....no drawers for me, just action packers and a basic bed.

As always, advice and critiques are most welcome.

Last edited:

aaen

Adventurer
For your bed, I suggest buying one of the cots available at the other camping/outdoor store in Nanaimo. Not Cabellas, the one off of mostar. They look like a decent cot and can fold up for storage if need be. Also has the option of one of the various sleeping bags/air mattresses and you can slide stuff underneath for storage if need be.

QUOTE=paddlequest;2108641]I think the truck is almost ready to travel. Here are the changes that happened this week.

1) New Leer contractor topper with barn doors. This is going to be awesome for traveling, touring. So much more head room, much easier to add things to the interior with the exposed skeleton.

2) All Pro dual swing away rear bumper.

3) ARB 2500 awning on the passenger side of the canopy and a 1250 over the back doors of the canopy.

4) ARB 50 qt fridge. That is going (I think...but still undecided) in the back seat of the cab (passenger side). It seems smart for access during day while traveling, security, etc etc. I will look at putting in the canopy tho...as that may have advantages as well.

View attachment 350805 View attachment 350806

Things that still need to happen this next week before departure:

- second battery in the truck for the lights, fridge, fans etc
- Lighting in the canopy. Not sure if I will go battery operated LEDs or hardwire. Again, advantages to both. My available time may make that decision for me!!
- Build a bed/ storage platform. This will have to be super simple....no drawers for me, just action packers and a basic bed.

As always, advice and critiques are most welcome.[/QUOTE]

Regards

Steve

paddlequest

Adventurer
Thanks Steve for the info.
I thought about a cot, but I think I am going to build a solid platform covering the whole bed. There will be places for batteries, and a safe, and storage on the sides and then open in the center for Action packers which I already have. It will have a double/queen mattress in it (which I also already have) as there will likely be the need for sleeping two in there. The cot would be a super easy solution, but I don't think it satisfies all my needs.
Cheers

aaen

Adventurer
Oh your going for build it right the first time. I was under the impression you had to hit the road ASAP, apologies.

Yeah build the bed/etc, makes better sense, forgot your also going to live in it.

Regards

Steve

Remember to check on any little spare parts you might need. Little basic things that may be a pain to get in a hurry from Casa Pellas since lots of the North american vehicle models differ from what is available there. Probably maintenance items mainly.

paddlequest

Adventurer
How many times can one guy revive his post? Haha.

I am in Nicaragua and made the drive down here last June. The truck has performed amazingly and has greatly improved my quality of life while working down here. Every weekend presents a new opportunity for adventures and finding new places in Nicaragua and Costa Rica.

There is a significant possibility that my contract here will end at the end of June 2017. I am weighing my options currently in terms of signing on again or....better idea....turning south and driving to the southern tip of South America. With that in mind I am considering more modifications for the truck.

#1 the heavy duty OME suspension has sagged significantly in the rear end. Its pretty disappointing to me to be completely honest. I will add a leaf or two to stiffen up the rear and level truck.

#2 I am currently designing and exo-skeleton roof rack for over the canopy in the back. The aluminum rack that came with the aluminum topper is not up the repeated abuse it has seen down here or will see in South America. I will attach a photo here of the design i am considering for your comments and opinions as always.

IMG_7186.jpg

#3 I will have a lockable cage for spare fuel cans added to the other side of the AllPro swing away bumper. I want to modify the bumper to carry the high-lift jack as well as the propane tank. That will free up more space under the sleeping platform

#4 I am considering hiring a local carpenter to install a drawer system under the bed for fast access to a kitchen and cooking possibilities. I am still undecided on this one...as a wheelchair user the drawer will be very high for me. I need a faster food prep system tho to disuade me from eating in restaurants all the time.

Thats about it for now. I am also considering what further navigational aids I will require for South America. I have a Garmin GPS and will download maps and I use Waze on my cell phone extensively down here and it works well.

I look forward to hearing any ideas or comments people may have.

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

PHeller

Adventurer
That's a sweet canopy/shell. Any regrets about doing the taper? I've often thought about getting something similar, but not doing a taper. If you're going to carry all that weight, might as well have the most amount of room.

What were you doing (for employment) down in Central America?

paddlequest

Adventurer
No regrets on the taper at all no. I like the look of it and thats the end I put my feet when I sleep so no real loss of space. I also think it helps a little bit negate the awful gas milage my truck gets fully loaded. I have also welded in a shelf/attic in the taper end to carry gear and clothing, etc. over my feet. I will take interior photos and post them this evening. The cap has worked out extremely well and no regrets at all. The one door has warped a little bit, but thats my fault I think. I think I can bend it back to straight...famous last words right?!

I am in Managua still and I work for an NGO. We are working to educate local health care providers and physiotherapists how to provide appropriate wheelchairs. Our focus is mostly on kids with complex neurological diagnoses, but not exclusively. The project is coming to a close and I am thinking about a long road trip to celebrate....recuperate, etc.

Last edited:

paddlequest

Adventurer
HI PHeller, I thought I would add a photo of the inside of my sleeping area to show you how I have organized it. It shows the aluminum shelf I had welded into the front of the cap. It is above the level of the side windows and the window into the truck. You can also see in the photo the cargo net I have strung up for lose items and stuff I want close at hand while I sleep...keys, wallet, glasses, headlamp, etc etc. It has worked out really really well. The only down side is no indoor cooking or toilet facilities to speak of. We can´t have everything!

IMG_2452.jpg

In Walmart parking lot in San Diego. The big clean out and re-organization before entering Baja.

IMG_2475.jpg

Just a couple random truck shots from my drive south. I absolutely loved it! I have the fire for more now!

IMG_2498.jpg IMG_2580.jpg

IMG_4591.jpg

paddlequest

Adventurer
I thought I might give more detail on the rack I want to have built so perhaps some folks out there can provide suggestions and/or feedback. All thoughts are welcome...and wanted! Thanks in advance!! The black magic marker lines represent the design....

IMG_7186.jpg

1) It is an exo-skeleton that will bolt &/or weld to the frame of the truck
2) It will have ladders on both sides immediately behind the second cabin doors
3) there will be two bars that join the verticals and pass through the level of the side windows on both sides. These will provide security and prevent smash and grab but also be a place to mount MaxTraxx and an aluminum table I will have built. They can also be to mount my surf kayak on the side of the truck for shorter hops and when I don´t want to crawl up to the top rack.
4) the roof basket will mimic the look of my Baja Rack I have over the cab....in larger diameter tubing I imagine
5) the floor of the roof basket will be permeable but strong enough to stand on, sleep on, put camp chairs on. Probaly an expanded metal. No nasty edges or burrs to pop sleeping mats!
6) The back of the rack will house the small ARB awning plus have rollers incorporated into the frame to make loading and unloading boats easier and safer
7) One side of the rack will house the large ARB awning. This will mount on tabs below the basket frame to make it easier to access the awning quickly
8) The other side will house a PVC tube shower system. I am going to recreate what I currently have in bigger tube. Maybe incorporate a pressurizing option.
9) There will be two adjustable cargo bars (like Thule or Yakima) to carry kayaks and surf boards. I have verticals for supporting my kayaks that will be added as well.
10) The whole thing will be powder coated or spray painted flat black.

So thats what I have at this point. I hope to hear of suggested improvements from folks with good ideas and more experience then me.

Cheers!
Dave

paddlequest

Adventurer
Well, I have started the process of modifications to my Tacoma. Its getting customs sliders and the exo-skeleton rack I have outlined above. It has been in the shop since Tuesday and started off with great momentum but unfortunately today was a bit of a downer with nothing happening on my truck at all. The owner of the fabrication shop assures me tomorrow it will all happen. I sure hope so.

It got sliders tacked on today. They need to be tucked in a little higher and closer to the cab but they are a great start. I might get them to extend them a bit farther forward to if they think they can without compromising the strength.

IMG_7408.jpg . IMG_7409.jpg

I am not sure why the one photo is rotated...my apologies.

The rack should start tomorrow...I sure hope so as I am planning on a surf weekend at the beach and this may compromise those plans. I sure hope not.

Its extremely interesting trying to explain and plan a job in a language that is not your own. My Spanish is reasonable at this point...I thought...but man o man is this pointing gaps in my vocabulary!! Haha...all good fun and an interesting challenge.

If you have any thoughts or suggestions, I would love to hear them.

paddlequest

Adventurer
it seems I have the most poorly read thread in the history of Expedition Portal! Oh well, I will soldier on.

So the rack is in coming along. Its happening slower then I would have liked but the quality of fabrication is excellent and its going to be strong as when its done. That makes me happy. Its tied into my bumper with removable bolts and into the sliders with a bolted sleeve. So theoretically, with an army, it could be lifted off and removed. Its safe to say, as a wheelchair user, I am very unlikely to ever use those functions...but a good idea none the less.

IMG_7419.jpg Its starting to take shape

IMG_7420.jpg The rear vertical support bolts to the sides of the bumper. He welded nuts into the bumper so it is extremely strong. The front will connect to the sliders that are also being fabricated at the same time.

IMG_7421.jpg There will be two laterals (on each side) that run through the window line and provide protection to gear in the back.

I am pretty happy with the progress so far. Its coming out awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94