2012 Ram 2500 4x4 Hemi vibration issue

ripperj

Explorer
My Ram has a decent vibration under hard braking. The truck is very smooth on the highway at 70.
When the truck is moving slowly with the brake applied the vibration seems to be once per wheel rotation. You can feel the vibration in the brake pedal and steering wheel. It's enough to be annoying, but not dangerous.
I had convinced myself that it felt like the driver front, so I replaced both front rotors and pads with Napa Ultra Premium parts. I also threw Napa premium pads on the back.$500 for the works. The new rotors seemed like they seated against the hub properly.
The issue is still there. I didn't do run-out on the old rotors before trashing them. The front pads were trashed and the rotors had a few voids that looked like casting defects, so it was not money wasted, but didn't cure the issue.
I'm going to jack up the back and get an indicator on the rear rotors. How much runout is too much? If there is minimal runout on the rear rotors( I'm hoping they are bad and new ones will cure the issue) any idea on what else it could be? The front wheel bearings seem tight, and the ball joints have a bit but not major wear.
Would a warped the rear rotor transmit thru the whole truck and feel like the front??
What are the odds the new Napa rotor is bad? I would assume very slim?

Thanks for any insight. I don't want to waste another $400-500 and not in fix it
Keith

Sent from my Passport

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Rams are notorious for eating up ball joints with tons of info online stating that they get replaced every 40-60k miles.

ripperj

Explorer
I had the tierod replaced under recall within 15-20k, that's two joint that should be ok. I'll jack up the front and give it another look

Sent from my Passport

ripperj

Explorer
Replace the rear rotors tonight, the drivers side had some big chunks missing , which I can see causing my issue. I was too tired to drive it tonight(finished in the dark, which seems to happen at lunch these days)
Also my lug nuts are trashed, so I ordered all 32, will be here in the am.

ripperj

Explorer
The new rear rotors solved the vibration issue. Basically all the rotors had pits on them. The driver rear was the worst, with a few large defects. Don't know what would cause it, I'm guessing bad castings.
I did the parking brake while I was there. Pretty stupid design, the driver side star adjuster is on top behind the leaf springs, unlike the pass side which is on the bottom and real easy to get to. (the parking brake is just an old school drum brake inside the rotor top hat)
Took awhile to adjust, hard to tell if both sides are applied when the parking brake is set, but it holds on my steep driveway when in neutral, so I'm calling it good.

Sent from my Passport

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior