2012 LR4 Overland Project - Build Journal & Blog

Toyolo_VanLife

I havent done the swap yet, but i think I do have a lead on how to get the padlock.

It can’t be done with IID Tool, but there’s another scan tool that can flash the infotainment system with stock sw images. I can’t recall the name but I believe I have it bookmarked somewhere.

it was pricy so I was going to call around and see if I could find a shop with one.
Good to know... I did quick search and stumbled upon this - NCOM44 Discovery 4 2010 - 2015 kit - NANOCOM Diagnostics. Was this similar to what you had bookmarked?

WilliTom

Hello everyone and thank you for the awesome topic.

If there is anyone from GAP Diagnostics reading this, I got a question:

Brazil never got any LR4 with the HD package, but we got plenty of Range Rover Sport V8's and diesels and LR3's with locking rear diffs.

sourcing a LR4 rear diff ECU here is impossible, so it would either have to be imported (incredibly expensive) or from a LR3/RRS. Will the ECU from the RRS, code Nnw508400 / 1137330008 do the job? The gear ratio from the LR4 can easily be transfered into a locking RRS or LR3 diff (innards are almost the same, it's a matter of disassembly and reassembly of the entire diff, and since I'll buy one used, it will be rebuilt regardless). So the only trouble is which ECU to use.

Thanks in advance

ishapiro

Hello everyone and thank you for the awesome topic.

If there is anyone from GAP Diagnostics reading this, I got a question:

Brazil never got any LR4 with the HD package, but we got plenty of Range Rover Sport V8's and diesels and LR3's with locking rear diffs.

sourcing a LR4 rear diff ECU here is impossible, so it would either have to be imported (incredibly expensive) or from a LR3/RRS. Will the ECU from the RRS, code Nnw508400 / 1137330008 do the job? The gear ratio from the LR4 can easily be transfered into a locking RRS or LR3 diff (innards are almost the same, it's a matter of disassembly and reassembly of the entire diff, and since I'll buy one used, it will be rebuilt regardless). So the only trouble is which ECU to use.

Thanks in advance
The rear diff is interchangeable with RRS as long as you get the one with the correct ratio. That's what I did on mine.
I think the ecu would be interchangeable too as long as you get the one from the newer vehicle (post MY 2009) due to the new CAN bus signalling.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

WilliTom

The rear diff is interchangeable with RRS as long as you get the one with the correct ratio. That's what I did on mine.
I think the ecu would be interchangeable too as long as you get the one from the newer vehicle (post MY 2009) due to the new CAN bus signalling.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot for the reply, I'll look it up, probably will be fairly easy to source a diff and ECU.

I considered ARB and air lockers, but they are prohibitively expensive to import to Brazil, so a retrofit with a RRS diff it is.

diesel_here

What a great read. Please keep the updates coming.

I have an alternative solution to the locking padlock symbol on the touch screen. You can install a digital dash from the L322 Range Rover 2010-212, same electronic systems. The differentials are displayed right in front of you, with the lock symbols.
It's an easy fit, some trimming is required behind the cluster because the new cluster is slightly wider, a fan is also recommended (just connects to the existing loom). It will also need your vin & immobiliser code programmed, but anyone with a basic IC programmer will be able to do it. Then using the IID Tool you choose the display type, supercharged, petrol, diesel.
My cluster has been in place for over 2 years without any issue, in fact it really modernises the interior.

I'm in the process of installing a rear locking diff, the ECU is already in place but I need a differential! FYI all the wiring was already in place on my 2010MY apart from the chassis plug to diff loom.

Attachments

• IMG_7395.jpeg
    IMG_7395.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7396.jpeg
    IMG_7396.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 65

treckin

What a great read. Please keep the updates coming.

I have an alternative solution to the locking padlock symbol on the touch screen. You can install a digital dash from the L322 Range Rover 2010-212, same electronic systems. The differentials are displayed right in front of you, with the lock symbols.
It's an easy fit, some trimming is required behind the cluster because the new cluster is slightly wider, a fan is also recommended (just connects to the existing loom). It will also need your vin & immobiliser code programmed, but anyone with a basic IC programmer will be able to do it. Then using the IID Tool you choose the display type, supercharged, petrol, diesel.
My cluster has been in place for over 2 years without any issue, in fact it really modernises the interior.

I'm in the process of installing a rear locking diff, the ECU is already in place but I need a differential! FYI all the wiring was already in place on my 2010MY apart from the chassis plug to diff loom.

Wow that’s a fantastic idea. I may pursue this.

another idea I had was to source a used infotainment unit from eBay and reference the VIN of the part vehicle with Topix to confirm elocker fitment

diesel_here

Another point of interest. My centre screen has always displayed both diff padlocks, obviously only the centre one ever locked on screen. When I installed the digital dash, it only showed the centre padlock. Now I've installed the diff lock ECU and updated the CCF both padlocks show on the digital dash.
The point is if the dash updates to 2 padlock symbols, I'm not sure why the centre screen would't.

Something I never thought of until I read this thread.

treckin

Another point of interest. My centre screen has always displayed both diff padlocks, obviously only the centre one ever locked on screen. When I installed the digital dash, it only showed the centre padlock. Now I've installed the diff lock ECU and updated the CCF both padlocks show on the digital dash.
The point is if the dash updates to 2 padlock symbols, I'm not sure why the centre screen would't.

Something I never thought of until I read this thread.

It could be that the sw file is just different and it’s not a toggle-able or extensibly designed module.

basically, the IC team could have just been better than the infotainment team. Most likely they’re different suppliers working from software requirements written by product managers at Land Rover.

if LR never told wrote a requirement that an infotainment module live update in production to include a different differential unit, the supplier would have done it the easy way, flash-on-build.

Fly501

Trekin do you mind sharing your expert with the import taxes/customs on APT parts?
I would like to order a full set of what Ben makes but I just don’t know how to figure the import costs.
If I skid his sliders I’m sure it would help just based on the general weight if such items but I like his stuff and he is a nice guy.

treckin

Trekin do you mind sharing your expert with the import taxes/customs on APT parts?
I would like to order a full set of what Ben makes but I just don’t know how to figure the import costs.
If I skid his sliders I’m sure it would help just based on the general weight if such items but I like his stuff and he is a nice guy.

sorry it took a while for me to reply - APT handled the customs charges if I recall correctly. If not, generally the carrier will call you to charge them separately (FedEx for example) and it’s generally quite cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne