2012 JK Sport 2 Door Overland Build

Justincredible

Adventurer
I have a 2012 2 door automatic Rubicon that I bought used with a 2.5" Teraflex lift and 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers. It has 4:10 gears and the 3.6 liter which has plenty of power with this set up (of course I also have the rubicon transfer case which is geared much lower). The shift points were off when I purchased it and then I got a Super Chips Flash Paq which adjusted the shift points and corrected the speed odometer. I am pretty sure that with 33" tires you cold probably get away with 3.73 gears with the 3.6 liter engine especially if your Jeep is a daily driver.

As far as upgrading gears a economical way to do it would be to pick up someone's stock 3.73 or 4.10 gears when they upgrade. The stock 3.73 gears that come with the towing package also have a limited slip in the rear differential.

My '12 on 33" tires is downright spritely to me with 3.73 gears (also no rear LSD). Especially when compared to my old '02 Wrangler with the 4.0 or my '02 Xterra.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
OP, you keep saying the tires you currently have are 31". What do the little numbers on the sidewalls say?

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Gearing also depends on your altitude. Where do you live?

The western mountain states like Colorado and Utah (4000 - 14000 ft elevation) require much lower gearing (numerically higher) due to the horsepower loss of a naturally aspirated engine (3% loss / 1000 ft above sea level). The 285hp Pentastar V6 is only 240hp here in Denver, and less than 200hp climbing over Vail Pass. With 33" tires, my 3.73 gears are just adequate in my opinion for here in Colorado.

Back east where elevation is rarely above 1000 ft, it seems many are perfectly happy with 35" tires and 3.73 gears.

Exactly! I'm sick of hearing that "35" tires are just fine with 3.21s" from Jeepers in Florida and Texas. Or, "I'm running 35"s on 3.21s and a manual, I've lost use of 6th gear but it's fine". Really? No OD highway gear and it's "fine"? Take that flatlander "just fine" stuff up Poughkeepsie Gulch and tell me how fine it after you cross over California Pass.

Got a few updates:

After doing my homework, I'll likely be upgrading to 4.56 gears after my tire change (within the next two weeks) sounds like that will be optimal for where I live (Salt Lake City) and what I'm planning to do with the vehicle.

Rear bumper, tire carrier, and IPF backup light all installed. The IPF light mounts a bit crooked. It bothers the crap out of me that it's not straight. I'm thinking I'll have to get a small piece of sheet metal under the left side of its mount to straighten it out.

image.jpg2_zpsjxzribat.jpg

Also, after a straight month of scouring local classifieds, I finally found and purchased a pair of Rubicon rock rails and installed them today.

image.jpg1_zpstwbjavkh.jpg

image.jpg4_zps460krroh.jpg

Lastly, SAVEGRES!!! Next up, 35" BFG KM2s, black Savegre's, and fuel caddy.

image.jpg1_zpsuxjckrna.jpg

Was able to get the savegre's, tires, and fuel caddy on late this week. decided to head straight for the mountains for a quick trip. The wheels/tires change the entire look of the jeep! I'm so glad to be rid of that chrome!

33E5C835-613D-4839-9081-0465C179EA07_zpssnkkf4e1.jpg

image_zps6r8qvqxv.jpg

F758D9C4-CF6A-4DD2-9DBD-D55A1FC1094E_zpsetdqhqtw.jpg

Hows it running with the 35s?

Surprisingly, really really well. Shift points and speedometer is off, but I've got a procal in the mail. I've noticed a small power loss when climbing uphill, so eventually I'll want to upgrade gears. First, front bumper and winch.

swoope18

Once you get the gears in you will understand why everyone was asking about it.

To me most people forgo gears as its a mod you can't see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94