SOLD - 2012 Jeep Patriot Latitude Trail Rated + Autohome Columbus XL + Rhino Rack + Hatch Ladder 35k mi

erstwild

I am selling my ultimate, budget-minded, daily-driver, overlander rig! I set out to put together something special that would cover all the bases: solid off-road capability (no rock crawling), comfortable camping quarters, good storage space, comfortable and quiet on road driving, modern safety, reliability, fuel economy, and parkable anywhere (including parking garages).

What I have put together is a tough little Jeep Patriot based rig. It might be a car based SUV, but it is pretty capable and no slouch (I have only driven it in snow and light fire roads):

https://expeditionportal.com/the-little-overlander-expo-s-long-term-patriot-project/
https://expeditionportal.com/top-10-used-overland-vehicles/
http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/reviews/patriot/index.htm

It actually reminds me of the old Jeep Cherokee in many ways. It has been a joy to own with no maintenance issues, lightly-used, well-maintained by a single owner, no smoking, no abuse. The only reason I am putting this for sale is that I am going to be getting a larger truck camper setup to pursue the lifestyle full-time. I just had its 30K maintenance completed at 32,100 miles and new a set of 5 tires.

If you have any questions, just let me know and send me a message.

Standard features:

2012 Jeep Patriot Latitude Trail Rated (only 35k miles)
Freedom Drive II Offroad Package:

1. Hill Descent Control- Uses the vehicle brakes to maintain descent speeds of 4-6 MPH in low gear and 3 mph in reverse.
2. Off-Road Brake Traction Control- When required, the traction control system will use the brakes to slow or stop a spinning wheel and send power to the axle with greater traction.
3. 19:1 Crawl Ratio- Being a Continuously Variable Transmission, the ratio is as low as 2.3:1 with a 8.1:1 final drive ratio
4. Off-Road mode engine and transmission calibration- In low, with the 4wd Lock mode engaged, the system raises the CVT rpm to maximize compression braking and provide maximum spark advance to the motor (monitored by the active spark knock sensor).
5. 4WD Lock Mode- Commands maximum torque to the rear axle (electromagnetically controlled coupling)
6. Additional ground clearance- 1" Taller springs and improved dampening
7. P215/65 R17 All-Terrain Tires (28x8.5") Now with Yokohama Geolander P225/65 R17 Tires and Full Size Spare at 32,100 miles
8. Front and Rear tow hooks
9. Engine and transmission skid plates
10. Fuel tank skid plates
11. Cabin air filtration
12. Fog Lamps
13. Seat height adjust
14. Three Mode Electronic Stability Program (ESP)
15. Heavy-duty Cooling (CVT cooler, Engine cooler and high-cap cooling fans
16. HD Alternator
17. Improved body sealing and relocated driveline vents
18. Reinforced Rear Lateral Links (control arms).

Cold Weather Package (Heated Seats, All Weather Floor Mats, etc.)
Uconnect
Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
Cherry Red Paint

Upgrades:

Autohome Columbus Extra Long Small Tent with Under Mattress Ventilation Mesh:
https://expeditionportal.com/home-away-from-home/
Rhino Rack Vortex Roof Rack
Custom Steel Hatch Ladder with Powder Coated Paint
Llumar Security Film on Windows (prevent smash and grab)
Ballistic Cordura Seat Covers (front and back)
WeatherTech Window Deflectors/Vents
WeatherTech Cargo Tray Liner
Rear Seat Laptop Holder
Black Diamond Orbit Lantern
Magnetic Bug Nets
Original Aluminum Ladder for Tent
Etc.

The vehicle is based in the San Francisco Bay Area for those who are interested in buying.

My asking price is $15k (blue book excellent grade for the base vehicle plus a depreciated value of upgrades seems fair to me)

IMG-0095.jpg
IMG-0081.jpg
IMG-0083.jpg
IMG-0086.jpg

Last edited:

MTSN

Explorer
I require a small viewing fee ($50) to keep the lookie loos at bay which goes toward your purchase.

A bit of an odd strategy. I can't recall seeing someone charge to take a look at a car for sale, even exotics. Do you anticipate that many tire kickers?

erstwild

A bit of an odd strategy. I can't recall seeing someone charge to take a look at a car for sale, even exotics. Do you anticipate that many tire kickers?

I certainly understand what you mean. Might put some people off. But yes I have actually run into quite a few people interested in it so far but mostly to just see how I have put everything together for themselves, ask their questions, and be on their way.

kchristian

Adventurer
Do you get a lot of lookie loos? If so just tell them to go to Avis.com and reserve a “Ford Escape or similar”. It'll cost less than $50 and they can look at it all they want for 24 hours.

erstwild

I wasnt interested until I saw that this is Trail Rated.
Whats the price to comment on the ad? Do you accept Bitcoin?

No price to comment, haha. If anyone on here is interested and wants to see it, just shoot me a message. That viewing fee has a funny way of disappearing to serious prospects which are the kind of folks I'd expect to find on here. The lines...between them.

MTSN

Explorer
No price to comment, haha. If anyone on here is interested and wants to see it, just shoot me a message. That viewing fee has a funny way of disappearing to serious prospects which are the kind of folks I'd expect to find on here. The lines...between them.

I'm selling a 200 series right now, and I've had a guy come over twice already this week and each time he's been there for 2 hours. He very well may buy it, but I can assure you if I told him I was going to be charging him if he didn't buy it he would most definitely not have come over to look in the first place. Just a bit of unsolicited advice from someone who has sold over 40 personal vehicles, make it easy on the buyer and make them feel comfortable asking questions and checking out your rig. If you come across as difficult, you will immediately turn off even serious buyers. A viewing fee seems totally unreasonable for anything short of a rare exotic car (the Ferrari dealer inside the Wynn in Vegas charges, or at least used to, a fee for people to come in and check out cars which was waived if you were a "serious buyer"), but it's especially strange on a pre-owned Jeep Patriot. This board is probably your best audience for selling it, and as you can see everyone just focuses on the viewing fee. Just my $0.02.

erstwild

I'm selling a 200 series right now, and I've had a guy come over twice already this week and each time he's been there for 2 hours. He very well may buy it, but I can assure you if I told him I was going to be charging him if he didn't buy it he would most definitely not have come over to look in the first place. Just a bit of unsolicited advice from someone who has sold over 40 personal vehicles, make it easy on the buyer and make them feel comfortable asking questions and checking out your rig. If you come across as difficult, you will immediately turn off even serious buyers. A viewing fee seems totally unreasonable for anything short of a rare exotic car (the Ferrari dealer inside the Wynn in Vegas charges, or at least used to, a fee for people to come in and check out cars which was waived if you were a "serious buyer"), but it's especially strange on a pre-owned Jeep Patriot. This board is probably your best audience for selling it, and as you can see everyone just focuses on the viewing fee. Just my $0.02.

Thanks for your thoughtful opinion there. I'm pretty new to selling vehicles myself and clearly the viewing fee approach for a "specialty vehicle", albeit a patriot rig, was perhaps a bit misguided. This certainly isn't a Ferrari. In my mind, I just wanted to put a little barrier up to avoid the "now how would you put solar panels on this and wire them up" or "thanks for the ideas. i'll do something like this when I put something together next year" situations.

So apologies all! I have removed the viewing fee requirement entirely. This is clearly the crowd with which I would like to be working. Ask all your questions and if you would like to see it sometime, just let me know.

MTSN

Explorer
Thanks for your thoughtful opinion there. I'm pretty new to selling vehicles myself and clearly the viewing fee approach for a "specialty vehicle", albeit a patriot rig, was perhaps a bit misguided. This certainly isn't a Ferrari. In my mind, I just wanted to put a little barrier up to avoid the "now how would you put solar panels on this and wire them up" or "thanks for the ideas. i'll do something like this when I put something together next year" situations.

So apologies all! I have removed the viewing fee requirement entirely. This is clearly the crowd with which I would like to be working. Ask all your questions and if you would like to see it sometime, just let me know.

No problem and understood. For what it's worth, the guy who "wasted" 4+ hours of my time this week just texted a super low ball offer, so needless to say it didn't end in a sale. That's part of the game of selling unfortunately, but ultimately there's a buyer for every car. Totally get not wanting to have coach someone on how to build a vehicle - if you get those questions, just point them to a forum LOL. GLWS

erstwild

Thanks! It has really served me well. To any continued onlookers, I just had the 30k mile maintence completed today and replaced the original Wrangler SRA tires with Yokohama Geolanders which are very nice. I’m in no particular hurry to sell this Summer now, but I have decided on my next rig when I get around to it.

Certainly, the hatch ladder is a revelation when partnered with the Autohome Columbus compared to the folding standard one which while sturdy becomes tiresome with regular use.

I had mine custom fabricated at Shaffers’ Off-road in Alameda, CA. I’m not sure if they could easily reproduce it for you, but you can always inquire. Heavy duty steel and nice powder coating. Way better than Gobi.

erstwild

I am a powder coater, so they can forgo that bit..ha ha...I will contact them and see if they have the plans available ha ha...GLWS!

Well there you go! Definitely, see if they made plans and dimensions for it. If they cannot help and you can do the fab yourself, I can post some closeups of the hatch ladder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles